Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woman coughs up her own tumor

Another thing wrong with the story would involve the technical aspects of of doing a microscopic exam on the tissue. Cancers are not healthy tissue and start to rot quickly when devascularized so it's unlikely that they could have placed it into fixative early enough for the biopsy to yield information as specific as adenocarcinoma.

Also they said it was metastatic which means there are other sites. This sounds like a made up story by someone who tried tossing in some terminolgy in an attempt to lend credibility.

Peduculated tumors can sometimes avulse, so theoretically someone could cough one out, but I bet what she was coughing up was a chunk of yesterday's hot dog that she inhaled.

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue Snowstorm's Avatar
    Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser-Kun View Post
    Did she spit it into a pot in the corner and made a "ding!" sound?
    Augh! *runs to rinse out mouth with Listerine*

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Tarnished Gold, a historical mystery

Blog Twitter Facebook

A woman said to write like a man. Plot Device's Avatar
    I am willing to believe this story.

I believe there are some people whose bodies are capable of rallying with an astonishing level of intense multi-systemic cooperation against a f-cking tumor. Not everyone (in my laymen's hypothesis) is so blessed to have that kind of defense sytem, and such people are probably rarer than rare. But I still believe such people exist.
    It's NOT the end of steam, it's the end of CHEAP steam.
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...&postcount=757

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)

waxing digital artistic Gale Haut's Avatar
    This is unbelievable enough that I want to believe it.

the Juggernaut of Imperfection crunchyblanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plot Device View Post
    I am willing to believe this story.

I believe there are some people whose bodies are capable of rallying with an astonishing level of intense multi-systemic cooperation against a f-cking tumor. Not everyone (in my laymen's hypothesis) is so blessed to have that kind of defense sytem, and such people are probably rarer than rare. But I still believe such people exist.
    I don't think it's impossible, but the details in the story make it sound pretty unlikely. As GeorgeK pointed out, 'metastatic' means the cancer has infiltrated other sites, so she wouldn't be cancer-free just from hacking up a single tumour.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12