Woman coughs up her own tumor

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Another thing wrong with the story would involve the technical aspects of of doing a microscopic exam on the tissue. Cancers are not healthy tissue and start to rot quickly when devascularized so it's unlikely that they could have placed it into fixative early enough for the biopsy to yield information as specific as adenocarcinoma.

Also they said it was metastatic which means there are other sites. This sounds like a made up story by someone who tried tossing in some terminolgy in an attempt to lend credibility.

Peduculated tumors can sometimes avulse, so theoretically someone could cough one out, but I bet what she was coughing up was a chunk of yesterday's hot dog that she inhaled.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I am willing to believe this story.

I believe there are some people whose bodies are capable of rallying with an astonishing level of intense multi-systemic cooperation against a f-cking tumor. Not everyone (in my laymen's hypothesis) is so blessed to have that kind of defense sytem, and such people are probably rarer than rare. But I still believe such people exist.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I am willing to believe this story.

I believe there are some people whose bodies are capable of rallying with an astonishing level of intense multi-systemic cooperation against a f-cking tumor. Not everyone (in my laymen's hypothesis) is so blessed to have that kind of defense sytem, and such people are probably rarer than rare. But I still believe such people exist.

I don't think it's impossible, but the details in the story make it sound pretty unlikely. As GeorgeK pointed out, 'metastatic' means the cancer has infiltrated other sites, so she wouldn't be cancer-free just from hacking up a single tumour.