The New Return of Old Van Halen

What's your favorite version of Van Halen?

• The David Lee Roth version

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • The Sammy Hager version

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • The Gary Cherone version

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't like Van Halen (but I love Chickenfoot)

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Classic Coke version of Van Halen has reunited (minus bassist Michael Anthony) to record a "new" and a tour.

David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen and Eddie's son, Wolfgang will release A Different Kind of Truth next month, the band's first album with Roth since 1984, some 28 years ago.

Van Halen has rebooted itself and will not be performing any post 1984 songs. So forget about Sammy Hagar and definitely forget about Gary Cherone.

The first video from the band for their song "Tattoo" has been released and you can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3WfQ-hV3WtA

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the original group open for Black Sabbath many years ago when they were relatively unknown. Roth was too hoarse of voice and cocky of demeanor for that crowd and suffered incessant boos and hard objects thrown at the stage.

Not long after, the band rose to super-stardom, despite Roth as its lead singer.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw them at Summer Celebration '78, which was at my High School football stadium (Engel Stadium). The headliner was Bob Segar.

I was 14.

cletus

I'm a king bee
Registered
Reaction score
They've been playing the new song a lot on Planet Rock here in the UK. Wasn't sure the first time I heard it, but it's growing on me.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I saw the original Van Halen when they played the Fabulous Forum in L.A. I think I was 13 or 14. David Lee Roth was like energy plus, jumping off of tall speakers and doing splits. It was a fun concert. Roth was a great showman back in the day.

I was never as big a fan with Sammy Hagar, but they had some good music.

Heard the new single Tatoo on the radio the other day. Ouch.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
I saw the video for Tatoo and the song sucked, sorry van halen.

There is a saying I developed for cases like this where I stare blankly into the screen and wonder wtf. It went over my head through the woods and into the river it goes.