• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Infinite Ideas, Ltd. / Infinite Authors

MTaillard

Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten a glowing response from a publisher called Infinite Ideas. Checked the forums here and it was only mentioned in passing a couple times without any real description. Checked their website and am having a hell of a time determining whether they are exclusively a self-publishing place or if that's just an option they offer.

Does anyone have any insights into Infinite Ideas, Ltd?

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Website is here: http://www.infideas.com/.

Looks like they offer one of those wonderful 'hybrid' models - i.e. some get commercially published, some authors have paid a whopping £795 for the privilege.

MTaillard - are they asking you for money? If so, avoid.

MM

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Infinite Ideas is the commercial publishing side of the company, Infinite Authors is the self-publishing arm. This is interesting:

If you're still uncertain that self-publishing is for you we'll be happy to start by discussing with you the suitability of your book for the Infinite Ideas publishing programme. Most books that are submitted to us do not make the cut but we like to keep an open mind so please do talk to us.
http://www.infideas.com/self-publishing/

I wonder how many novice writers, on being told that their book isn't quite ready for publication with Infinite Ideas, choose the Infinite Authors option rather than work on their manuscript?

MTaillard

Registered
Reaction score
They didn't ask for money at all and didn't even mention the idea of self-publishing so much but did mention that depending on how talks about the proposal go that they publish some authors on a 100% royalties contract rather than an up-front down payment. I honestly don't have an issue with that, being a first-time author, other than it sounded out of the ordinary and I wanted to make sure they're a reputable publisher.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I would be wary of any publisher with a self-publishing arm that has such a high level of fees with such a low level of services.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Infinite Ideas published the winning book in the Brit Writers Awards 2010 (there's a thread here about the BWA: in November of last year they threatened me and two others with libel action but have since withdrawn their threat, although they have not yet told me how they thought I'd libelled them).

The winner of the 2010 BWA, Catherine Cooper, is a clever, dignified and inspirational woman. I trust her. She has said nothing but good things to me about Inifinite Ideas, which has sold foreign rights for her and does seem to have done a good job in marketing her book and in supporting her through the publishing process. She did not pay for publication through them.

Most of Infinite Ideas' trade books seem to have been produced by them as if they were a book packager although on my blog they've disputed this (I don't know why, as there's nothing wrong with book packaging and they do seem to offer to package books for companies).

I know that Infinite Ideas offers a paid-for publishing service, but I don't know of anyone who has signed up for it or what results they had. It does look like a big conflict of interests to me, though, compared to their other publishing work, and I'm not sure how they'll get over that.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
I honestly don't have an issue with that, being a first-time author, other than it sounded out of the ordinary and I wanted to make sure they're a reputable publisher.
There is nothing wrong with being a debut author. Many debut authors are well-published every day. While there is nothing disreputable about pay-to-play, you need to analyze what your intentions are for your writing. If it's to see your book on store shelves and have the full support of a publisher who markets and promotes their titles, then vanity publishing can't provide that service.

OTOH, if you have a good platform and are looking for books to sell at the back of the room of your seminars, then go with Lulu. The only one who wins in the vanity scenario is the publisher.

MTaillard

Registered
Reaction score
Infinite Ideas published the winning book in the Brit Writers Awards 2010 (there's a thread here about the BWA: in November of last year they threatened me and two others with libel action but have since withdrawn their threat, although they have not yet told me how they thought I'd libelled them).

The winner of the 2010 BWA, Catherine Cooper, is a clever, dignified and inspirational woman. I trust her. She has said nothing but good things to me about Inifinite Ideas, which has sold foreign rights for her and does seem to have done a good job in marketing her book and in supporting her through the publishing process. She did not pay for publication through them.

Most of Infinite Ideas' trade books seem to have been produced by them as if they were a book packager although on my blog they've disputed this (I don't know why, as there's nothing wrong with book packaging and they do seem to offer to package books for companies).

I know that Infinite Ideas offers a paid-for publishing service, but I don't know of anyone who has signed up for it or what results they had. It does look like a big conflict of interests to me, though, compared to their other publishing work, and I'm not sure how they'll get over that.

That was very helpful. Thank you!