merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Rather than focus on Mayan predictions for doomsday, I'm going to look at what's a horrible alternative right now, and that's for me to not throw my hat in with Amazon. If they decide to destroy their business model, their fan base, the loyalty of their content providers, all in the name of some evil corporate whisker-twirling plan . . . then I'll take my books and go elsewhere.

I'm not trying to be a downer here or burst anyone's bubble; however, this is exactly the point. There might not be an "elsewhere." That's the reason a monopoly is not a good idea.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
My publisher and I are on our third 24-hours free download of Planet Janitor Custodian of the Stars (HAVING ONE RIGHT NOW AT THIS MINUTE-EXPIRES AT MIDNIGHT TONIGHT). It wasn't moving like we expected, so we decided on the free download and price drop to $2.99. Dear Lord, what a difference. We only had something like 480 free downloads, but it's rank flew into the bestseller division and stayed there for quite some time, sales went through the roof (momentarily) and some very nice five-star reviews were posted.

And this is a stand alone book--not a series. Our next plan is to load a free short story, a prequel mission to the book and link back to the e-book and hardback.

Sadly, the thing about hardbacks, no matter how beautiful they are, even crammed with dozens of illustrations, they just aren't selling-moving. And if said hardback is $29.99, well, it's impossible. I've sold three hardback books at that price in 10 months and, really, don't expect to sell anymore.

Keep doing what you're doing. If you have a series going and you're offering freebies on the first books, I think you'll do extraordinarily well, for quite awhile.

Tri

hughhowey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hughhowey.com
I'm not trying to be a downer here or burst anyone's bubble; however, this is exactly the point. There might not be an "elsewhere." That's the reason a monopoly is not a good idea.

I think you bring up good points. But remember: The market is never fixed. If everyone goes away, and then Amazon starts screwing up, a new market will pop up immediately. Especially these days.

Look at how fast Android started crushing the iPhone. Almost overnight. It's downright destroying what looked like an unsinkable ship just a little while ago. And Blackberry is toast. Amazing.

Or look at what Chrome is doing to Firefox. Or what Apple did to Microsoft. Any deviation from best quality products and customer service, and users will jump ship and seize the next thing. Myspace and Facebook are great examples. Google+ is causing FB to improve all the time. Nothing is safe.

Which means Amazon will never get to a place where it can abandon what got it there and just start being dickish to everyone. And why would they want that? They'll want to do what's already made them a success.

Oh, and look at Netflix. Classic example of how little power companies have these days. They changed pricing, and a backlash had them reeling. They tried to spin off their DVD division, a backlash had them retract the decision.

We have all the power, as consumers and content providers. They lie awake at night, trembling, worried about the vagaries of the market and the fickleness of the consumer. Which is as it should be! :)

ianuschristius

Spiritual Anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
After you set your free e-book promotion on KDP through Promotion Manager to max. 5 days, your e-book will have ratings only for that free promotion period. When the promo is over, your free download rankings falls to zero, and it can grow up if you start selling your book(or e-book).

I was not satisfied with selling my e-book edition on KDP(I sold not a single copy), so I erased the account. Even do I still have an account for printed edition on Amazon.com. I deceided to give e-book edition for free on some free e-book sites(like obooko.com,bibliotastic.com,smashwords.com and 4shared.com) just to promote myself.

I hope I answered your question.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
We have all the power, as consumers and content providers. They lie awake at night, trembling, worried about the vagaries of the market and the fickleness of the consumer. Which is as it should be! :)

I think you're wearing several pairs of rose-tinted glasses, Hugh. On more than one occasion Amazon has resorted to bullying tactics in order to get what it wants from publishers: I see nothing which suggestst that its core beliefs or business practises have changed.

hughhowey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hughhowey.com
I think you're wearing several pairs of rose-tinted glasses, Hugh. On more than one occasion Amazon has resorted to bullying tactics in order to get what it wants from publishers: I see nothing which suggestst that its core beliefs or business practises have changed.

It's fun being an optimist.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read Candide?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hugh, here are a few links for you.

Amazon tries to force POD publishers to use Amazon's POD service when making sales through Amazon. (2008)

Amazon removes "buy" button from Hachette titles
. (2008)

Amazon tries to dictate to publishers the price of their e-books (2010)

Scottish booksellers accuse Amazon of bullying.
(2010)

Amazon pulls the "buy" button from Macmillan's books
(2010)

These links all appeared on the first page of my search for "Amazon bullies publishers". There are plenty more, and there are discussions about this here at AW if you search--try the Round Table first.

Amazon seems more than willing to try strong-arm tactics when dealing with publishers and booksellers; I don't think it's a big stretch to assume that it will be just as willing to bully self-published writers into submission if it feels that the need arises. And with Kindle fast dominating the self-published e-market there might well come a point when there are no alternatives for those self-published writers.

It seems to me that the smarter self-published writer will make sure that he has his eggs in more than one basket. The Kindle one might not be as reliable as many people think.

hughhowey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hughhowey.com
Great links. I'd heard about a lot of this, but I hadn't read up on much. Very eye-opening.

Here're my thoughts, after reading and sleeping on it: I'm not a publisher, not really. I would be worried if they were harming the lives or livelihoods of readers or writers (since I'm both), and I'll certainly be wary of any moves in that direction.

I personally think publishers are shooting themselves in the foot with e-book pricing (a good thing, as it prevents them from competing with me). So I see where Amazon is coming from. They are acting like a good Realtor who rolls their eyes at seeing what a homeowner wants out of their house. Their job is to help price items right to sell, so they can make their commission. It seems to me that Bezos and company are doing the same, and I'm on their side. If publishers were smart, they'd realize they are selling stories, not trees, and help move books into the 21st century (no windowing, a massive discount for e-books).

I'll try and be observant, look for any sign Amazon has it out for readers or indie writers, but what I've seen so far looks like nothing but great news for both. If things change, there's nothing preventing me from pulling out and moving my books elsewhere. Right now, though, after just 10 days of going all-in, I've made more money from Kindle "borrows" than sales on Nook and iBooks combined for the previous six weeks. My rough calculations show a $1,000/month DIFFERENCE (not net) for being in the program.

My wife and I are not wealthy. We have simple needs (we live in an 800 sq. ft. house that's paid for, don't spend lavishly), so this is a major deal for us. And the reviews from readers (some of whom are able to read for free) make it seem like a great deal for them as well.

So I guess I'm still where I was. I think the big publishers are the ones with the nefarious intentions. They have expensive skyscrapers in Manhattan, pay writers like crap, and charge readers too much. I'm supposed to defend that and hate a company doing well for readers and small-time writers?

You might need to walk me through this more slowly.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Here're my thoughts, after reading and sleeping on it: I'm not a publisher, not really.

I thought you'd self-published. If you have, then you are a publisher. Really.

I would be worried if they were harming the lives or livelihoods of readers or writers

Don't you think that preventing readers from buying writers' books harms both readers and writers? I do.

So I guess I'm still where I was. I think the big publishers are the ones with the nefarious intentions. They have expensive skyscrapers in Manhattan, pay writers like crap, and charge readers too much. I'm supposed to defend that and hate a company doing well for readers and small-time writers?

I think you need to learn more about how publishing works. You're repeating things you've heard online, I bet, but if you'd investigated these allegations properly you'd realise it's not that simple.

You might need to walk me through this more slowly.

And might you need to learn to do your own research and not rely on ill-informed blogs and other people's biased opinions to provide you with your beliefs. Here are a few links to some discussions here which might help you. Read them from start to finish and see what you think then.

Amazon.com removes Macmillan books from site!!

Amazon bans subgenre of erotic books

Amazon removing "adult" material from sales ranking

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I haven't read the entire thread; I could't force myself to do it--I stay over in the kidlit thread were everyone plays extra nice.

However, being indie (called self-pub here) I wanted to offer my insights.

First, Amazon is not your agent. Why? Because your agent has a vested interest in your personal success. Amazon might be viewed as J.A. Konrath's agent (really more of his publisher)--he's signed with them and they have invested money in his success.

I hope someday Amazon will sign you (and me) to a deal; until then we are just a number to them.

Here's a real world example: I had a book selling a couple hundred copies in a month--that's great and most of it was thanks to Amazon promoting it.

But then something in their algorithms changed and my sales went down to a couple dozen after that. Amazon has talent coming out their ears and they can't promote everyone all the time.

Now for select. Select has been good to some authors. I get 40-50% of my sales from Apple and B&N, so there was no way I was going that route.

But if it works for you, it's only 3-months, why not give it a try.

Maybe the big 6 are out to get your money, maybe not--it's business. Amazon is out to make a buck too.

Just, weigh your options and make your best decision.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read the entire thread; I could't force myself to do it--I stay over in the kidlit thread were everyone plays extra nice.

Grrrrr!

I wish you'd drop in more often. You make some excellent points.

First, Amazon is not your agent. Why? Because your agent has a vested interest in your personal success.

I agree with this absolutely. Amazon's first concern is its profits, and it has no interest in helping any specific individuals make more sales. The agents I know, however, fight passionately on behalf of their author clients, and do all they can to build their careers and make them as successful as they can be. A big part of their job is negotiating contracts until they're as beneficial to their author-clients as possible, while still allowing the publisher to make a good profit--because if the author makes so much money the publisher can't afford to sell their books, there's a problem there.

Maybe the big 6 are out to get your money, maybe not--it's business. Amazon is out to make a buck too.

Just, weigh your options and make your best decision.

Trade publishers aren't out to get writers' money: they're out to get readers' money. To do that, they need to publish the best (most commercial, most popular, most well-written--there are all sorts of ways to define this) books that they can, and for this they need good writers.

And I agree: we have to look at every opportunity very carefully before we proceed.

We can't negotiate the Kindle contracts which Amazon offers, and even if we could few self-published writers have agents working on their behalf; we're stuck with what they offer. I understand that publishing to Kindle works well for many writers: but there are worrying clauses in the various contracts that are involved, and writers really need to be aware of them and what the full implications of those clauses are.

DCDaugherty

Registered
Reaction score
Grrrrr!

We can't negotiate the Kindle contracts which Amazon offers, and even if we could few self-published writers have agents working on their behalf; we're stuck with what they offer. I understand that publishing to Kindle works well for many writers: but there are worrying clauses in the various contracts that are involved, and writers really need to be aware of them and what the full implications of those clauses are.

Can you clarify some of this? Who is we? What Kindle Contract? (do you mean the standard split of gross? 70/30, 35/65?) What clauses should worry me? Thanks. :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Can you clarify some of this?

I can try. But it's not going to be much help because so much depends on the individual writer, and because there's more than one contract involved here.

Who is we?

By "we" I mean "writers who might sign up to the various contracts.

What Kindle Contract?

All of them. They all have clauses which I'd like to improve on; which a good agent would work to improve in her clients' favour; and which are disconcerting, if not worrying.

If you want some more specific advice look to Writer Beware, which has blogged about some of the problems with the contracts.

(do you mean the standard split of gross? 70/30, 35/65?) What clauses should worry me? Thanks. :)

I don't mean the royalty split. There's so much more to the contract than that. And I can't tell you which clauses, specifically, should worry you because I don't know what you have available to publish, or what your aims or ambitions are, or (forgive me) how good you are and what your chances are of finding a better contract elsewhere.

A big problem with the Kindle contract is that it's the same for everyone who signs up. But writers aren't all the same. We each have different requirements.

Zelda

Registered
Reaction score
It's funny but, for me, ebook publishing was almost an afterthought. I got my book up in a paperback format through Createspace for Amazon and Lightning Source for wider distribution. I didn't want to use Createspace's full distribution network because I would have had to use one of their ISBNs. I consider them a printer and a sales outlet, but I'm the publisher. I have my own ISBNs.

So, then I did a Kindle format, partly because I had requests for it. I knew nothing about the ebook market but it seemed like a reasonable thing to do. It's been moderately successful.

Amazon's announcement of its KDP Select program threw me. On the one hand, I seemed to be the perfect candidate for it. By default, I was already exclusive, so that wasn't a barrier. However, I reacted negatively to the whole situation on almost a visceral level. I realized how dependent I was on Amazon for all of my ebook visibility.

So, instead of signing up for KDP Select, I learned how to publish ebooks through Barnes and Noble Pubit and Smashwords distribution. No, I haven't gotten a lot of sales yet through those channels, but it seems wise to have them.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I don't trust that a large corporation with a history of grabbing market share won't suddenly start grabbing something from me. I'll use it for my purposes and have other avenues available.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure if it's better to resurrect an old thread or start a new one - I went for resurrection, obviously.

Is there a good strategy for how/when to use the KDP Select free days? Do people try to combine them with advertising or other promotion, or... I guess what I need to know is how an unknown (in this genre, with this pen name) author even makes people AWARE that the book is free for a limited period.

Has anyone else figured this out?

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
There are several sites that list Kindle freebies every day. I wondered the same thing the first time my title received thousands of downloads. I usually announce freebies on Twitter and Facebook, as well as my website.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I put my short stories up for free and found sales didn't do anything after it went back to paid. Pulled them all just a few weeks ago out of the lending program when it became obvious it wasn't working for me.

I had maybe five lends out, overall. Wasn't impressed.

JMO.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Merrihiatt (hah! I've seen your username so many times, but I always read it as Merihat, like a happy hat! Anyways...) - do those sites just pick up the listings on their own, or is there something I have to do to make it happen?

And have you done any experiments with having multiple days in a row free, using up all the freebies at one time, or do you think it's better to space them out?

Thanks for any suggestions!

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
They pick them up automatically, although some people suggest contacting them a month or so in advance and telling them when your book will be free. I never think that far in advance!

I've found one 24-hour period at a time is better than using all five days in a row. It may be different for other folks, but I received the highest number of downloads the first day. Probably because the next day there are hundreds of new free books available.

I've also noticed that I get the highest number of downloads from the first freebie. When I offered it again about three weeks later, I didn't receive nearly as many downloads. Still around a thousand, but nowhere near fifteen thousand like I had back in February. Amazon has changed their algorithms, so I'm not sure what strategy is the best right now. I'm back to trial and error.

You can call me Merri, though I do get merrihat a lot. Ha!

AnnikaHTDC

Registered
Reaction score
I just did a KDP free promotion over the weekend. At the end of the 2 days, my book was still listed as free on the US website but went back to paid on all other Amazon websites. It took 24 hours to return to its original price. I ended up with an unplanned extra day of my book being free for only some people, and I couldn't really capitalize on it because I had no way of knowing when it would go back to its original price.

I haven't had a single sale in the following 24 hours.

I'm disappointed, but hopefully I'll at least get a couple of reviews out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.