• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Apocryphile Press

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Has anyone dealt with this press before? It seems to be run by a PhD theologian, or minister, or pastor, archbishop when they're done...

Their published books seem to run in the millions as far as amazon rankings go.

What I'm asking about is their call for short horror stories, for an anthology.

http://www.apocryphile.org/short.html

101 short horror stories of 1000 words or less. The link at the bottom of the page goes to a 404 error message. Maybe they don't want participants to know they're a religious publisher?

And here they stipulate:

AGREEMENT
Writers selected for this anthology will receive one (1) copy of the published book, and the ability to purchase 10 or more copies at a reduced “author’s” rate of 50% of the cover price for as long as the book is in print. No further compensation will be forthcoming.

---------------------

If you don't have the ability to purchase 10 or more copies, etc., does that hamper your acceptance? Is this a fleece, or is it good intentioned?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd guess that you're not expected to state your purchasing intentions with your submission; just assume that 1 cc is payment for the anthology and leave it at that.

However, there is no info about whether or not they can edit your story, and which rights they are taking (print? electronic? audio?), and whether or not they expect those rights to be exclusive. Since they state that:
Submission of a story constitutes permission granted by the writer to the Apocryphile Press to publish the story in this and all future editions of the collection in perpetuity.
this could be an issue for some authors. Personally, I'd not submit under those conditions.

It's unlikely that getting a story into this anthology will provide much for the author in the way of fame or exposure, since this is a POD press that apparently has little interest in selling their books:
We are a small, new-paradigm publishing company. This means we have no full time employees, no offices, no warehouses, no overhead, and don't need to make any money to stay in business.