Status
Not open for further replies.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I just wanted to pop in for a second to let you guys know a bit about the Homer Eon Flint project, going on in conjunction between Musa, the Flint family, and the University of Kansas.

Homer Eon Flint is an American pioneer of science fiction. He was a rising pulp fiction writer before his death/murder in 1924 in multiple genres, but is best known for his four main works: The Queen of Life and The Lord of Death, The Devolutionist, The Emancipatrix, and The Blind Spot (co-written with Austin Hall).

Musa is going to be publishing one of his works: these classics, once published but lost works, and his unpublished manuscripts throughout 2012 and the early part of 2013. We ended up with 27 stories on top of the four best known ones, and his granddaughter Vella Munn (also a well-known writer) is writing Flint's biography for us.

As a result, the Flint family and descendants are donating Flint's papers to the University of Kansas Spencer Research Library. Working together, we are reassembling copies of some of his lost manuscripts, pulp fiction stories that exist only in disintegrating century-old magazines. At the end of the project, Flint's works will be archived both electronically at Musa and physically at U of K (which will also receive e-copies of Flint's works), and therefore available for scholars and readers alike.

One of the more interesting things we're doing with these works is including prefaces of non-fiction material, dealing with the writer and that particular work. (Flint lived apart from his family to support them, and he and his wife corresponded daily--which left a paper trail regarding each story and the work he did.) I think it gives a fascinating insight into the mind of a writer who was helping to shape a genre.

At any rate, the Homer Eon Flint website is now live (www.homereonflint.com) and we are adding content to it daily. The first Flint release from Musa is the reissue of his mystery The Money-Miler, originally published posthumously by Flynn's Weekly in October, 1924 as a three-part serial. I just thought that some folks here might be interested in his story, so I figured I'd drop by and let you know.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.