• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Publish For Less / PFL / Solly Border Publications

cleoauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cleoandtyrone.com
I'm a newbie here, so if you've already covered this ad nausem, I apologize in advance.

I'm a TV writer and published author. I'm currently shopping a book through traditional publishers. The other night, at approx. 9 p.m., I received a call from a representative from Publish For Less. She knew I was trying to sell a book, had my name and unlisted phone number. She was trying to sell their services. Although she denied it being a POD publisher, it sure sounded like one. They would print one copy of my book for free. Then I could order 20 for $300. I was not interested in their services, but I sure wanted to know how they got the information about me. She said, "That's a very interesting question," and then proceeded NOT to answer. I re-asked the question and again got no response. She also seemed very interested whether my book was copyrighted. This made me highly nervous. She gave me their website URL. I checked it out and wrote an email, asking again where they got the info. I received an email from the company's president, Solly Border. He told me he was unable (unwilling) to answer that question because it was part of a "marketing program."

What gives here? I'm guessing that somehow he gets info about book submissions from someone at a publishing house.

At any rate, all this made me nervous and angry. Any one have any knowledge about this outfit?

Thank you!

Cleoauthor

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Welcome aboard.

cleoauthor said:
Although she denied it being a POD publisher, it sure sounded like one. They would print one copy of my book for free.

They're doing an offset print run for a single copy? Or even 20? Um, no. They're POD.

She also seemed very interested whether my book was copyrighted.

Then she's not at all familiar with copyright law. That's a bad quality for any publisher. Stay far away.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
N.B.: IANAL

cleoauthor said:
She also seemed very interested whether my book was copyrighted. This made me highly nervous.
Cleo, you're in the U.S., right? Then your book is copyrighted. It was copyrighted from the moment of its creation. Whether or not that copyright is registered is a different matter, and I'm sure you know that reputable publishers take care of registering a book's copyright in the author's name. That's not something an author typically does on her own.

I suspect this soi-disant publisher wanted to sell you a package that included "copyrighting" your book for an additional fee, not that it wanted to steal your book if it wasn't registered. I doubt they've even seen a copy of your manuscript, and I doubt they'll bother with you once it becomes clear they won't be getting money out of you, if that's any comfort.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I've heard from an agent who was solicited by Solly Border--if she'd refer rejected clients to him, he'd pay her $100 for each one that bit...er, bought. Maybe you contacted an agent who said yes to this arrangement.

If not, did you register your copyright? Questionable agents and publishers often get names through copyright registration lists. Or they harvest them online.

If you've been submitting to reputable publishers, I really doubt he'd have gotten your name that way--I can't imagine a commercial publisher passing names to an outfit like this.

- Victoria

cleoauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cleoandtyrone.com
My very first thought was that someone within a publishing company or agency was being paid for names! I know the agents and publishers I submitted to are all reputable houses, but I guess there could be unscrupulous individuals within.

Thank you for your helpful response.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
I've heard from an agent who was solicited by Solly Border--if she'd refer rejected clients to him, he'd pay her $100 for each one that bit...er, bought. Maybe you contacted an agent who said yes to this arrangement.

If not, did you register your copyright? Questionable agents and publishers often get names through copyright registration lists. Or they harvest them online.

If you've been submitting to reputable publishers, I really doubt he'd have gotten your name that way--I can't imagine a commercial publisher passing names to an outfit like this.

- Victoria
Referring rejected writers to another publishing house or agency is highly improper. Taking money to do so is worse. If you've worked in a legitimate publishing house long enough to have entered into such an arrangement, you've been around long enough to know that you don't do that.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Publish For Less - Solly Border

I had an offer from Border to refer refusals to him with the $100 bonus if they sign with him. When I said no, he then asked me to represent his four novels. When I said no to that, he became very angry and chewed me out for being honest. I read all of the correspondence to my wonderful group of readers. We had a great laugh.

CalifMan

Registered
Reaction score
PFL Publishing

I just received an email from Livsolrose @aol.com stating that PFL Publishing Co. has accepted my book (sci-fi genre) for publication. I can't find anything about them on a Google search, and a search for both PFL and Livsolrose on your forum had no matches. Does anyone know anything about either the email address or PFL Publishing? Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

CalifMan

Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, I had given up. Yes, I did submit a "bunch" of queries, both to publishers and agents, but the last one was at least six months ago. Since then, I "shelved" the book by putting everything connected to it into one folder, then saving it to a CD. I've now had to find that CD and restore all of it to My Documents. Unfortunately, I don't remember all agents/publishers I submitted to (got a slug of rejection notices, or no response). All I can remember is that the email address (or, at least the name "Livsolrose") is vaguely ringing a bell. Here is the email I received (copied all of it):

PFL Publishing Co.
1111 Morse Ave. #158
Sunnyvale CA 94089
Tel. 408/744-9280 Email [email protected]

Dear Writer,
Congratulation,
We are aware that you are eager to publish your manuscript.
Your manuscript had been approved for publication at PFL.
Please, contact us for details.
Jessie Jones
Marketing Consultant

I should add, too, that I checked Editors and Preditors warnings....no matches when I searched.

I also caught the word 'Congratulation' -- it should be 'Congratulations' (with an 's'). Frankly, I'm not impressed with the composition of the email itself.

Anyway, thanks for your input. By the way....in future posts I'll make sure I put in a more specific subject line (I know better from computer forums I've been to....just wasn't thinking).

Have to go to work, but will check back again this evening.....

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Meaning, did you file for registry? Many scammers/spammers loot the LOC lists for writers who pay to copyright unpublished works. (Since it's unnecessary, it highlights the writer as inexperienced in the industry and possibly susceptible to pitches of Get Published Today!!!.)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ooo, but looky, looky. A search on the address finds this:

http://groups.msn.com/TheWritersDorm/membersbooks.msnw

solly Border
Title Doomsday on the Black Sea
Genre fictional account of a real event
Description Solly Border, the author of Doomsday on the Black Sea, was with his aunt Anna when she learned how the sinking of Struma, a doomed ship hadtaken her three children to the bottom of the unforgiving sea. Although he was a child at that time, he never forgot the grief experienced by Anna and others struck by the tragedy.
When Border himself lost his only son, his memory of the sinking of the Struma became an obsession, and he determined to memorialized it in a novel.
Because there were no witnesses to the event, Border fictionalized characters and scenes as he imagined they had occurred during the ordeal. The 768 passengers were forced to stay on board for 71 days in the most inhumane condition before the debacle occurred. Only one person survived.
Price & Ordering Info PRICE $15.95
Order from Amazon.com or directly from the author
Solly Border
1111 Morse Ave #158 Sunnyvale CA 94089 USA
Tel 408/744-9280 email [email protected]
And a search for "Solly Border" allow us to find "Publish For Less". http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23397

FYI, his book with PublishAmerica came out in Dec 2005.

CalifMan

Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh....very enlightening replies....thanks so much.

It took me awhile of Googling to find your site, but I did so because I was leery of that email to begin with. Your replies and the links you provided tell me my suspicion was well-founded.

In short -- no way in H**L will they get my book! I think it's really sad when a person spends so much time writing and rewriting, burning the midnight oil, reading it over again and finding more to change and/or correct, then end up with a finished work 2 years later -- only to have some fly-by-night shyster try to scam them out of it. They are the kind of people I'd like to have 5 minutes alone with in a dark alley (and I'm 6'2" at 230 lbs....not exactly a pushover).

OK, enough of my rant
wink.gif
I really appreciate all of you taking the time to post those replies and info sources. It did help. My book may well never be published, and I know it. However, it will never be published by some scammer like this. By the way, I'm wondering now if Livsolrose was formerly with 'Desert Rose' publishing in Texas (I think it was Texas). Anyway, the last I heard, the owners of that one had warrants outstanding for fraud -- connected with their publishing business. Actually, I don't remember for sure, but I will not be signing anything with these people.

Thanks again to all!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
06-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Selenia
Esteemed New Member

Here's the email I sent both the ISP and AOL (since they aren't using their host's mailing service)
-----------------------
Hello there,

I received an abusive email from a customer of yours. Not only does this spam violate federal law (there are no removal instructions for their mailing list), when I request to be removed, my request is ignored and your customer gets very violent with me. They would also then be violating sections 8 and 9 of your TOS.

Please find the email exchange below.

<snipped email paste>
-------------------------------
This is not the first time this customer of yours has sent out unsolicited spam, then ignored requests to remove people from their mailing list. See more about this company at http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ad.php?t=23397

Best Regards,
Tiffany Garden.

--
http://selenia.shadow-moon.com

publishforless

reply to complaints fpr publishforless

I have read in this forum a lot of bad words about me and my company, PUBLISH FOR LESS. My name is Solly Border. I'm unique because I learned the language of the land when I was forty years of age, and yet I wrote six books in English. Trying to publish my work, I ran into a brick wall like most unknown writers. Consequently, I had the audacity to learn to print, bind and hard-cover books on my own. As soon as I published my books on my own, my entreprenurial spirit dictated that I should help other authors to get their work in print. As the consummate marketeer that I am, I started several avenues of reaching out customers.
At present we offer a free hard cover book with dust jacket for free on the premise that later the recipient will order books from us. We do short runs at the most inexpensive prices in the industry. See our web site
publishforlesscompany.com.
For those who have criticized my company mercilessly with cheap arguments, I feel pity for you. One person complained that I wrote "congratulation" instead of "congratulations" and then wrote "preditor" instead of "predator," a careless way of attacking my reputation. As for the writer who complained that I did not disclose the way we found her name, I take that as a joke in a society that has so many means of finding an address.
For those who made a big deal about the copyright issue, I believe that you did not understand what we were talking about. We do not want problems with authors releasing their manuscripts to us, and so we ask them to own the copyright before they send us the manuscripts.
I hope I have clarified all the pertinent issues, and I hope that readers of this
forum that have a manuscript and want to get their work in print will contact us at [email protected] or by phone at 408/744-9280

Last edited:

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
publishforless said:
For the lady writer who complaint that I did not disclose the way we found her name-I take it like a joke in a society that has so many means of finding an address.
So you were just making your way through the phone book when you called her, then?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Wow.
That post made me want to reach for my blue editor's pencil. Can anyone count the amount of errors in that post? In all honesty, please study the "language of the land" a little more. I mean, do you offer editing services or is this just straight publishing? I send you the manuscript and you format and bind? I could do that myself at Lulu, and save myself a lot of money.

Most unknown writers run into brick walls because they haven't written something publishable. it's a harsh truth, but still the truth. I've seen the slush, and the slush is bad.

Not to be nit-picky, but if you want to be a publisher, even a vanity publisher, you first need to learn to spell and use language properly. If this is your advertisement for your business, it's done it's job.

This is the nature of the business. Language is our tool.