The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Panoma Press (formerly Ecademy Press)

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar

Panoma Press (formerly Ecademy Press)

Ecademy Press advertises itself with the lines, "No Hype, No Gimmicks, Great Books".

Its packages start at a stonking 2,095 (plus VAT at 20%).

What say you all?

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    I say -- wait, I'm not allowed to use that kind of language on a public board.

They're up front about what they do, but their prices are astronomically high.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    And I can't see anything they do for writers which writers can't do for themselves. One way or another. And usually, for a much better price.

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    The good news is that it's a registered English company.

The bad news is that it's listed as a small company, which means that it meets at least two of the following conditions:

annual turnover must be not more than 6.5 million;
    the balance sheet total must be not more than 3.26 million; and/or
    the average number of employees must be not more than 50.

That means it's not capital rich, which is a problem as publishing is capital intensive (which is probably why the buggers want 2 grand of your money up front).

Then there's the fact that its share capital is apparently only 1. That means that if the company goes bust, the owners only lose a quid. It's particularly interesting because this came about after the company did a share buy back last year so the share capital would have been higher at some point.

The company looks to have been going since 2005 and it looks like it's a one officer company - Mindy Gibbens-Klein being the only name that's listed as current on Companies House.

Registered address looks to be a residential address (owner's apparently paid 345,000 in 2007). Also registered (or listed) as being a business at that address is this one:

http://www.bookmidwife.com/

Coincidentally, it's also run by Mindy Gibbens-Klein and has a pitch remarkably similar to that of Ecademy Press.

There's also a property development company called Property Services and Development Limited registered to the same address, the only named director I could find on Companies House being Philip Gibbens-Klein.

Nothing wrong with a husband and wife running different businesses from home, but you have to ask whether it's good for authors.

MM

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Is now Panoma Press: http://www.panomapress.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: