We are in a golden era of literacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Are any major publishers putting out ANY titles in electronic form only?

I'd like to see a graph of the average price of a hardback or MMPB book over the last 50 years versus some standard such as income or cost of living. It seems to me access to published material (whether you want to call it "literary" or not) has been continually increasing by leaps and bounds ever since that guy converted a wine press into printing on paper.

And you want to talk about lack of access to electronic media, there's the One Laptop Per Child that has given 2.5 million laptops to children and teachers around the world who couldn't otherwise afford them. And as the guy in my avatar likes to say, half the farmers in China now have access to more information than the President of the United States did 15 years ago. More and more books are being read on iPhones and iPads, for many reasons (from convenience to the fact that the device owner doesn't own and can't get physical books).

And yes, some books that WERE published might not have "deserved" to be published (this is more often true of vanity and self-published books), but even some of those are "interesting" in their own way.

I think the laptop thing is awesome (for children and teachers). I hear about some schools getting things like this. I wonder if it's something students can take home (and how durable these things are). Also, if they don't have internet access, I wonder how much the laptop will help them connect more (i.e. ebooks or internet research). I imagine schools could provide them with roaming wifi somehow. Not sure.

I'd love for everyone to have access to this kind of technology, but I just don't see it happening. I'd love to be wrong on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.