YA French Revolution, anyone?

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
I teach a history through historical fiction class to 6-9th graders. I can't find a good French Revolution book for this age group. I tried The Red Necklace, (it's an entertaining read, but I didn't feel it was right for this class). I love Tale of Two Cities, but this class is too young to appreciate it. To give you an idea, favorite books we have read are Johnny Tremain (that's a classic!) and Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen.

Anyone want to write a HF book about the French Revolution for 6-9th grade for me? LOL!

I'm not actually serious about writing it for me I just thought I would put the idea out there in case anyone is looking for ideas.

I have pondered making this my project...but I am not certain I love the time period enough to do the research that would be needed. So if you like the French Revolution, there's a void...

And if you have any suggestions, I would welcome them.

HistoryLvr

Add Salt to Taste
Registered
Reaction score
There's always "Revolution" by Jennifer Donnelly. It's a bit old for the 6th graders, but would work nicely for the 9th graders, in my opinion. Plus, it's fantastic. One of the best YA HF books I've ever read. It's a little heavy though, with some adult-ish themes (like drugs), but it might be worth checking out. I'm not sure how clean books have to be for high schoolers these days.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Would the Scarlet Pimpernel be close enough? I was never a fan of the books myself.

The Golden Hour?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
My vote is for The Scarlet Pimpernel - and, there are two movie versions, one with Leslie Howard (think it is) and another much more recent which is outstanding (can't think of the actors - ah, think Jane Seymour was the female lead). If nothing else, you could show the movie to develop interest in the period - and then go for reading A Tale of Two Cities. There's also a Rafael Sabatini book (good for the age level), but I can't remember the name - just that it had the famous theater characters Columbine and Pantomine and Harlequin and ... It was a good read for me when I was that age. Puma

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You guys are great, thank you!

There's always "Revolution" by Jennifer Donnelly.

Thanks I'll check it out. Even if it isn't appropriate for the kids, I might enjoy it. :)

Would the Scarlet Pimpernel be close enough? I was never a fan of the books myself.

The Golden Hour?

Oh yeah, I think the Scarlet Pimpernel might be perfect. I'll look into that. I haven't heard of The Golden Hour, but I'll look into that for sure.

My vote is for The Scarlet Pimpernel - and, there are two movie versions,

Oh, thank you. We watch movies inbetween books and I am always struggling to find a movie that is appropriate for the age group.

Thanks again all!!!

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
The newer Scarlet Pimpernel was aired on TV when our daughter was 7. She fell in love with it and really picked up a lot of good historic information. Whenever she talked about the plague, her pronunciation always sounded like MC Percy. Puma

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
That sounds perfect! I love that your daughter enjoyed it at 7! Thanks!

The newer Scarlet Pimpernel was aired on TV when our daughter was 7. She fell in love with it and really picked up a lot of good historic information. Whenever she talked about the plague, her pronunciation always sounded like MC Percy. Puma

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
How about Rafael Sabatini's Scaramouche? Right period, though not a ton of history. Anatole France The Gods Athirst is also the right period, though maybe a bit too grim.
Are you sure they wouldn't like A Tale of Two Cities? I once taught a class of 8th graders, and they adored Oliver Twist.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Lil - Scaramouche is the Sabatini I was trying to remember. I loved all his stories. Puma

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Another vote for Pimpernal. I think I must have been around 13 when I read that.

Thanks, it is helpful to know that you were the same age as my students when you read it and you liked it. Pimpernal would also be a great choice because it is a classic. I like showing kids that classic means "a book so cool that people are still reading it". Because you know they (like many adults) think classic means boring.

How about Rafael Sabatini's Scaramouche? Right period, though not a ton of history. Anatole France The Gods Athirst is also the right period, though maybe a bit too grim.
Are you sure they wouldn't like A Tale of Two Cities? I once taught a class of 8th graders, and they adored Oliver Twist.

I hadn't heard of Scaramouche or The Gods Athrist before. I will definately check them out.

About A Tale of Two Cities, perhaps if I explain to them that it is what I call a "domino book" they would stick with it. About domino book, did you ever as a kid set up dominones on end in some design, so that when you were done, you could bump one on the end and it creates a cascade of falling dominoes?

Some books are like that they start out very slowly (the kids would say boringly) to set things up, and then suddenly the action starts and you can't put the book down. For me A Tale of Two Citites, Jane Eyre, and Cry the Beloved Country all fall into that category. They are among my favorite books, but it was hard to stick with them for the first several chapters.

Funny thing about Oliver Twist, it is the only Dickens book that I have read (well, that isn't true I didn't read it, I've seen the plays) that I don't like. I love The Christmas Carol (yep, I actually READ that one.), Great Expectations, A Tale of Two Cities...but Oliver Twist just doesn't call to me. You are right though, the kids I know seem to love it also. I wonder what i am missing?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I would be wary of using The Scarlet Pimpernel unless the goal is to teach against the book, because pretty much none of the "history" in that book, much less the attitudes it displays, are actually true to the facts of what happened in the French Revolution. None.

(A lot of the other elements it highlights are also problematic for modern readers -- there's some very ugly anti-Semitism, frex, much more prominent and plot-relevant than in many other works of the day, and some pretty heavy-duty anti-democratic and anti-feminist attitudes - text, not subtext, though it tends to fly past the average twelve-year-old.)

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
The Queen's Dollmaker by Christine Trent is about the French Revolution. The viewpoint character is Christine, who is a dollmaker and leaves France for London, but ends up at Versailles among the courtiers. I think it would appeal to young girls, anyway.

Apologue

Pure heart, filthy mind
Registered
Reaction score
I will just add another vote for Revolution. I went in with low expectations and was truly blown away by how much I loved the book. I agree that it's probably a bit much for 6th graders, though.

oldhousejunkie

Registered
Reaction score
I will just add another vote for Revolution. I went in with low expectations and was truly blown away by how much I loved the book. I agree that it's probably a bit much for 6th graders, though.

I haven't read "Revolution" but Jennifer Donnelly is a superb writer. I adore her, actually. Sorry...fan girl.

But I LOVED "The Scarlett Pimpernel" when I was young...in 6th grade actually. It's got that awesome swashbuckling element to it. I think it would be a good contrast to show how historical fiction can sometimes deviate from history. Plus the 80s miniseries with Anthony Andrews and Jane Seymour...sigh. I had such a crush on him. I died and went to Heaven when I saw him as Professor Higgins in "My Fair Lady" in Covent Garden. There is a newer version with Richard E. Grant and Elizabeth McGovern. Richard E. Grant was good, but he didn't have the panache of Anthony Andrews. Or maybe I'm just biased. :)