Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's probably because you didn't self publish but went with a traditional publisher that your book is being pirated.

I don't understand the logic in this statement. Could you explain, please?

Searching

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand the logic in this statement. Could you explain, please?

Well, I've simply made an assumption that most self-published books never reach that kind of exposure necessary for someone to go into the efforts of putting said material online. Which is why most books that I've seen being pirated are by well-known authors who'd been employing traditional published methods.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I've simply made an assumption that most self-published books never reach that kind of exposure necessary for someone to go into the efforts of putting said material online. Which is why most books that I've seen being pirated are by well-known authors who'd been employing traditional published methods.

So, basically you're saying that self-publishing is a safer option because so few people will ever read your book that no one will bother to pirate it?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Holy cow. Why is everyone being so nasty?

I didn't see it as belittling. It's a good argument as to why people may or may not choose to self-publish or go the ebook route. I didn't read it and think, "Wow, all those people who self-publish, what morons!"

I also didn't think, "wow, am I glad that I go the print/agent route."

I actually wondered . . . "what kind of flaming jerk would take someone's work and try to make money off it?"

Then I thought, "hey, I'm glad I have google alerts up and going."

Then I thought, "how would I handle this? Not as gracefully as this guy."

So, yeah . . . even though I see the benefit of having a publisher in this scenario, nowhere did I get so offended that I thought personal attacks would "set him straight." But, that's me.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
All I can say is that my SP and other books all get pirated, even my free read gets pirated. Someone out there will pirate pretty much anything.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
All I can say is that my SP and other books all get pirated, even my free read gets pirated. Someone out there will pirate pretty much anything.

I've seen my fan fiction pirated. I mean, WTF?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen my fan fiction pirated. I mean, WTF?

A friend of mine had the same thing happen to her with fanfic.

Another pal had his erotica stolen and published under another person's name.

I have to say, I found it creepy to see these stolen stories and the "authors" receiving praise and gushing over their fans. "Well, thank you all SO much. I worked so very hard!"

(double take)

What did you do when you found out your fanfic was pirated?

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
What did you do when you found out your fanfic was pirated?

Mine was pirated, not plagiarized. I didn't do anything. I just thought, why would you even bother "pirating" something that you can already download from the source?

And it was reposted with horrible formatting errors, too.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Mine was pirated, not plagiarized. I didn't do anything. I just thought, why would you even bother "pirating" something that you can already download from the source?

And it was reposted with horrible formatting errors, too.

Gotcha.

Ugh on the formatting. That would drive me batty. I wonder if something can be done if you find your work pirated? How long it takes to get something like that removed. (not that it won't pop up again somewhere else)

Searching

Registered
Reaction score
So, basically you're saying that self-publishing is a safer option because so few people will ever read your book that no one will bother to pirate it?

Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be read if you don't self publish. Most people, I think, would read something that a professional editor has made the best it can be, and that a publisher deemed to be good enough (and in doing so having taken a financial risk). Ebooks and devices like Kindle are somewhat reversing this trend however, as word of mouth and reviews gain again an edge over popular absorbtion and big marketing campaigns.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Ebooks and devices like Kindle are somewhat reversing this trend however, as word of mouth and reviews gain again an edge over popular absorbtion and big marketing campaigns.

Not even close.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Not even close.

+1

the notion of the self e-pub revolution "democratizing" writing may be a lovely one, just like the utopian dream of equality in Marxist theory, but the reality is different. In this case, the reality is that many, many readers will still use flashy marketing, major ad campaigns, NYT and other review and sales tracking sites, etc. to pre-sort the wheat and chaff. self-pubbers can certainly overcome that, Hocking did, but this isn't the birth of a new dawn....

Status
Not open for further replies.