• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Writers AMuse Me / WAMM

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
What is Writers AMuse Me? What do they do? I don't understand from the website if they are an e-publishing house or a writers group or what. It seems a bit unprofessional for a publisher. I read their submission guidelines which weren't much help. From what I can tell its just a bunch of friends from a writers group that e-publish their own books. Or am I wrong?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
(Veinglory got there first--ignore me.)

Last edited:

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Not an e-pubber, someone should fix the thread title

They are not an e-pubber, but an indie just getting into their swing after a year. I just won a contest with them and have since been learning about their company. From what I can tell, every author who works with them is happy with them as a publisher. Since I worked for 6 years at a large bookstore chain, I'm interested in seeing their distribution ability and will get back on that when I find out. It may be something they're just building.

Folks, keep in mind that publishing is changing. Smart indies that can define niche markets just might have a bright place in the industry. As a NY Times bestselling author told me, Big 6 publishers don't offer the book much more support than a small press. If you like mysteries, you know that author's name and she was the keynote speaker at a conference I attended, but her Big 6 publisher gave her only $5000? The main advantage they have is distribution. Even the big houses are cutting back on return-ability.

A couple years ago, the bookstore chain I worked for would not consider books unless they could be returned. Now they regularly buy them. Sure, they will need something to inspire them to buy a non-returnable book--they have to believe they will sell--but if they are available to buy through i-Page or another common distribution point, they just might buy it.

I have no idea at this point whether Writers AMuse Me offers returns or distributes through bookshops, only that they appear to publish the e-book and trade paperback simultaneously.

Regards,

Lucie

Last edited:

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com

Wait, when you say the books are available for print "immediately," you don't mean upon acceptance of the manuscript, do you? When is the editing done?

I'm not trying to start a debate, but I would like to offer a second voice as to why the things you're pointing out as positives wouldn't get me interested in this company.

First of all, no money up front doesn't carry much weight to me. PublishAmerica asks for no money up front and they, by some definition, also "do editing." (EDIT: I do NOT mean that PA and WAMM are the same type of publisher. I mean because they both meet this criteria, I don't see it as a selling point.)

Second, I don't want full control over my cover. I'm not a cover designer. I would make something very cheesy-looking on Photoshop and it would not look professional. If I were to self-publish, I would hire someone for this job.

Third, I also don't mind if some of my stories stay on my computer and never see the light of day. They deserve it, they're not good stories.

Again, I'm not trying to argue. If you're having a great experience, I hope that continues. I'm just saying that these things you're listing aren't necessarily positives in everyone's eyes. EDIT: For clarification, I don't mean that they are automatic negatives either. They're simply facts. Some people might want full cover control (or that option). But my only point is not everyone does.

Last edited by a moderator:

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
You know, Katrina, before comparing anyone to PA, you ought to at least visit their site or ask questions. Writers Amuse Me is a member of IBPA, an indie, and the publisher for more than one author on AW. One of them has openly shared her experience with you. It's not polite to insult a small press and that author in that way.

You may be looking for a larger advance and thousands of sales in your six-week window with a Big 6 publisher, but at least show the most basic respect for small houses. If the music industry model is where publishing is heading, soon half of all book sales will be through small presses.

Wishing you a good day,

Lucie

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wonderactivist- What's your association with them?

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
None. I'm just learning about them since entering and winning their contest. But between correspondence with several of their authors and the editor himself, I just find it amazing, plus sort of comical, that an author would so off-handedly compare anyone to PA. I mean, really. That's completely ridiculous.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I am also with WAMM. My book was accepted, I received a contract that was absolutely on the up-and-up, the royalties are fantastic. I have never paid them a dime. they thoroughly edited my book. I was very active in that process, where if they requested a change, and I had reservations about it, we would discuss it. they never changed my words, rather they made ME change them, but only when I agreed with the request. We went through three rounds of edits before galleys.
They asked for input on the cover. I worked with someone on it to show them what I had in mind. However, if I had chosen not to have input because I am not a cover designer, they would do that 100%. It's an OPTION to have that level of input.
After we went through galleys, they formatted the book for POD print, Kindle, and several other e-pub formats (Nook, and others) and got the books.
I get quarterly royalties. The books sell at their site store, and many other places on the net. I wanted to do book signings so ordered books through my publisher at a very deep discount and will take them places to do signings. I certainly am never required to purchase anything - I did because I wanted to.
they market the hell out of their titles, and continue to grow, adding new authors on a regular basis and working their butts off for high-quality products. They do not overload themselves with too many books, they take time and care with everything they do.
Yes they are small. And most people here at AW will tell you to wait 2 years before doing anything with a small publisher. You can certainly stick to that rule. all I can tell you is that I completely trusted them with my book, I believe they did an amazing job with it, and I am incredibly happy with the results. I would absolutely use them again.

eta: also, they do not just accept anything/everything. They do reject work, they ask for revise and resubs, in some cases they've seen a lot of promise in a manuscript and worked with the author on the revise prior to making an offer.

Last edited:

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
None. I'm just learning about them since entering and winning their contest. But between correspondence with several of their authors and the editor himself, I just find it amazing, plus sort of comical, that an author would so off-handedly compare anyone to PA. I mean, really. That's completely ridiculous.

The Bewares forum is about debate though and asking questions. This happens for every publisher that is listed here. I didn't see that post as offensive, really. I think she was only trying to make a point that even some less than decent publishers(loose term used here in this case) don't ask their authors for money. Everyone knows what PA is already anyway. I would invite questioning since I as someone who is not with this publisher do find it informative rather than reading posts from one side only.

No one is calling this publisher crap.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely it is informative, but I see what wordactivist is saying. the sudden association to PA isn't helpful. This publisher is nothing like PA. They are careful editors, they want their authors to make money and earn recognition.

Absolutely, you can say, "do you see books on store bookshelves?" And the answer would be "not usually". Sure, you can say, "it's advisable to wait 2 years before going with a new press." Every press that comes through the BRBC room gets put through this. That's absolutely fine.
all I can tell you is that I trusted them and they have not done me wrong. I am very pleased with my book and the way they've handled me and the book.
I completely expect people to have doubts and I love that this room is here so people can investigate further. I know what is said in here about start-ups, and i won't argue with it. I can only tell you that from my experience, this was a great move for me.

And I can also say, that the automatic comparison to the "publisher" people here most loathe was sort of off topic and not necessary.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see it any other way than making a point. As a person with nothing to do with Writers AMuse Me it didn't make me think anything less of them. Other publishers here have been grilled to no end. It's a part of this forum.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
It is part of the forum. I think lucie was just saying it was an unnecessary comparison.

No worries. I fully expect WAMM to go through the paces that every other new publisher does here. I love that this place is here for exactly that purpose. publishers should be scrutinized and those who have experiencewith a publisher should absolutely share it. People who have questions should absolutely ask.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I don't see it as a comparison between PA and WAMM. I read it to mean that just because a press doesn't ask for money upfront, doesn't necessarily mean they aren't a vanity pub. (Not to suggest anything about WAMM, since I know nothing about them.)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
understood. :)

I do hope that the comments that followed clarified though. there is nothing vanity about them.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think it's a matter of the integrity of this forum. To compare anyone to PA is like my calling Katrna's book, wel.... I think I'll start a new thread about this because it isn't fair to do it on an indie press thread.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Is this whole discussion about the statement: "First of all, no money up front doesn't carry much weight to me. PublishAmerica asks for no money up front and they, by some definition, also "do editing."".

Because if so, there is absolutely no suggestion that WAMM is like PA in any way other than not charging fees and doing editing (which is accurate, yes?) either explicit or implied in that statement.

I think conclusions are being inferred that were never being implied. About that statement and the forums in general.

FWIW the website is better than when I last visited it.It looks like a publisher's website now.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Thanks to Katrina and Stew.

Since my WIP is only 6K, I'm far from worrying about publishing, but I read this thread out of curiousity.

I had some of the same questions as Katrina...which I thought she asked reasonably. I think the comment about PA was reasonable also. If for no other reason than that it helped with the clarification. Better to say and get clarification, than to just think it and never hear the clarification.

I appreciated that Stew responded and clarified without getting defensive.

When you say "wait 2 yrs", what does that mean? Wait two years for what? Two years of querying with agents, I'm assuming, but not positive.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is always safer to wait until any new business is stable, they are at highest risk of closure in the first two years.

And there can be good reasons to join a new business in the early stages if you have good reason to believe they will thrive.

In these parts authors are generally advised to play it safe, but we all do the opposite from time to time.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Thanks Stew and Veinglory, I get it now.

It makes perfect sense. I understand why the advice is 2 yrs (based on my limited experience watching magazines be born and die at doutrope!) And I can understand why occasionally it might be a good gamble to ignore the guideline.