• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[ePub] Outpost 19

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Seems to be focusing primarily on non-fiction books and essays.

I haven't googled the two publishers yet, but there's very little that shows any significant publishing experience.

Pluses: Not trolling for writers - in fact, given a second look, there's not even a designated "submissions guidelines" link. I have no clue how they've gotten the books they have for publication, but the web site is definitely aimed at readers.

For niche non-fiction, which much of this appears to be, a small press can work fine. It would be good to know more about their editors and their means of promotion outside of Twitter/Tumblr/Facebook. In fact, it might be nice to see the web site a tad more organized and laid out for ease of viewing, but that's my personal peeve (I like more pages and less depth than having to scroll a lot).

Personally, I'd say keep an eye on this publisher. If they're still at it down the road and you write something that seems to fit in their specific niche, then you'll have to make a decision there.

How did you hear about them to begin with?

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Very primitive website, but in an age of flash and eye-popping nonsense that's not always a bad thing. Kind of underplayed. If I were there web guy I'd tone down that brilliant white background a tad or three, making it less glaring and harsh.

Other than that, it's a heckuva' lot cleaner web design than I've seen from many other sites.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Seems to be focusing primarily on non-fiction books and essays.

I haven't googled the two publishers yet, but there's very little that shows any significant publishing experience.

Pluses: Not trolling for writers - in fact, given a second look, there's not even a designated "submissions guidelines" link. I have no clue how they've gotten the books they have for publication, but the web site is definitely aimed at readers.

For niche non-fiction, which much of this appears to be, a small press can work fine. It would be good to know more about their editors and their means of promotion outside of Twitter/Tumblr/Facebook. In fact, it might be nice to see the web site a tad more organized and laid out for ease of viewing, but that's my personal peeve (I like more pages and less depth than having to scroll a lot).

Personally, I'd say keep an eye on this publisher. If they're still at it down the road and you write something that seems to fit in their specific niche, then you'll have to make a decision there.

How did you hear about them to begin with?
A friend posted their link on my facebook page. It was the total lack of info on their site that made go "Wha???"

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
A friend posted their link on my facebook page. It was the total lack of info on their site that made go "Wha???"

I was just wondering.

I keep finding threads on all these micro-publishers here and I'm beginning to wonder how people find them? Do they just go Google-trawling for publishers and then focus on the small ones or the e-publishers?

I don't think I'd know of a single e-publisher outside of EC if I didn't hang out here on this forum.

SaraC

Registered
Reaction score
This one came up on Poets and Writers...this thread was last updated in 2012. 5 years later this pub is still taking submissions, which is longer than some others last.

Their current website is definitely targeted to readers, not writers, which is a good sign. I had to dig for submission guidelines. Their amazon rankings aren't super high, which concerns me, but they use Ingram, so maybe they sell more print books?

The covers are gorgeous.

I wouldn't have queried back when they first started, but I'm querying now, though I will have a lot of questions if I get an offer...

V-Man

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesvachowski.com
I queried this publisher via Submittable in March 2017, then sent a follow-up email at the one-year mark but still haven't heard back. Their social media platforms looks active, so I'm not sure if this press just has a particularly long response time?