Have we degraded literature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Some of my fiction even has dragons in it. But for some reason, the moderators let me stay with my transitory inferior prose.

:e2teeth: :sword

No great literature has dragons in it.

Especially nothing written in Old English.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never had that phase. I'm happy to be degrading literature with my writing. I burn thesauruses, use small words and don't mind exclamation marks. I cut up classics to make found poems. I embrace my role as a blight on the literary landscape, along with every other author who ever existed.

With acceptance comes tranquillity.

I think I've got a crush on you, now...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I never had that phase. I'm happy to be degrading literature with my writing. I burn thesauruses, use small words and don't mind exclamation marks. I cut up classics to make found poems. I embrace my role as a blight on the literary landscape, along with every other author who ever existed.

With acceptance comes tranquillity.

I think I've got a crush on you, now...

I count the nights, the sistrum sounds . . .
Death, thy victory,
Death, thy victory . . .
The rubber plant is free.

From the heart of dawn
Thou sinister albatross.
(The rubber plant is free . . . .)
Death thy victory.

And the linden trees quiver,
I count the nights, the sistrum sounds,
The hoopoe awaits me,
And the linden trees quiver.

OtterFactory

Registered
Reaction score
This happens in my classes ALL THE TIME. It's like a really dreary Madlibs puzzle!

1. Adjective
2. Corresponding adverb
3. Three 19th century writers, all male
4. James Joyce
5. Three adjectives that are synonyms of #1, but more overwrought
6. Modern writer, male
7. Modern writer, female
8. Three modern appliances
9. A Shakespeare play

Literature is [1. dead]. Really, it's a [2. rotting] corpse. Where are our [3. Tolstoy, James, and Balzac]? Where is our [4. James Joyce]? And, no, Mrs. Dalloway is not even in the same realm as Ulysses because it's too FEMININE. Anyway, yes, literature is [5. gone, mutilated, and maimed]. [6. Johnathan Franzen]? Maybe. But he lacks the depth of Tolstoy. [7. Margaret Atwood]? Ha! Good one. It's thanks to [8. electric can-openers, iPads, and vibrators] that our generation will never write [9. The Tempest]. Stick a fork in it, it's done.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I count the nights, the sistrum sounds . . .
Death, thy victory,
Death, thy victory . . .
The rubber plant is free.

From the heart of dawn
Thou sinister albatross.
(The rubber plant is free . . . .)
Death thy victory.

And the linden trees quiver,
I count the nights, the sistrum sounds,
The hoopoe awaits me,
And the linden trees quiver.

And they say literature is dead.... :tongue
Hah! I say. Hah!

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
And they say literature is dead.... :tongue
Hah! I say. Hah!

A seventh annihilation sings in the glowing raven.
Hesitantly, the annihilation dissolves.
The raven runs toward a glowing key.

Infinite penalties ascend in the glowing waste.
Gradually in revelation, the penalties follow.
The waste evolves at the end of a sad raven.

A divine morning of creation evolves while laying waste to the hungry clay.
Gradually, the morning of creation waits.
The clay waits at the tip of a great ruby.

A hungry bird of time dissolves on top of the glowing existence.
Suddenly, the bird of time vanishes.
The existence dissolves while shattering a shining paradise.

And there's more where that came from!

As long as my version of javascript stays compatible...

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
There is a Thing I'm seeing here, and that I've seen off-line as well, with great frequency.

Someone wants to appear all Erudite and Cool and shit like that.

So they post something about "Literature/the book/poetry" is dead, expecting to receive accolades.

Because, you know, they've like read The Scarlet Letter, and Gatsby, and Ulysses and War and Peace so they think that they're far from the madding crowd, at the top of Foucault's pendulum, and know how to find gravity's rainbow. They see themselves as the ambassadors to literature's golden bowl.

Instead, they're stuck crying in lot 49, clutching the professor and thinking no one but them has ever understood Emma.

I totally want to use that in my .sig.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I only wish I still had the short story fragment I wrote in high school in the style of Finnegans Wake...

Deleted member 42

I only wish I still had the short story fragment I wrote in high school in the style of Finnegans Wake...

There's a Perl cgi that does that; it was called, I think "word salad," but I'm not finding it.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
There's a Perl cgi that does that; it was called, I think "word salad," but I'm not finding it.

You'd be proud, I think, actually. I researched homophones from various languages and tried to figure out the best neologisms to try to achieve the same effect in both sound and layers of meaning. It was exhausting, and not something I'd want to do again, though. I appear to have lost it in various computer migrations, though. A shame. I rather liked it, especially the last paragraph.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

I totally want to use that in my .sig.

It's all yours. My education is apparently little more than an expense of spirit in a waste of shame, resulting in a half-penny-worth of bread to an intolerable deal of sack.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

My brother once wrote a highly scatological script for an episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in iambic pentameter and Shakespeare-speak. It too, is lost.

Searching

Registered
Reaction score
If we have degraded literature, it's because we have degraded life itself. I don't mean to say that our moral values have been degraded (which is probably the opposite, even though you wouldn't think so if you listen to news), but that there exists a greater disconnection today between cultural emersion by an average person today compared to the time when mentioned classics were written. That is not to say that life was easier, but that more thought went into it, from the way we dined to the way we listened to music. Today, of course, we have degraded such experiences by overly integrating them into our consumerist lifestyles (I am speaking of an average Western person here).

This disconnect has produced several reactionary movements in culture. Personally, I think that postmodernism is one way literature fights against this alleged degradation, by running with it instead of rejecting it.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
This disconnect has produced several reactionary movements in culture. Personally, I think that postmodernism is one way literature fights against this alleged degradation, by running with it instead of rejecting it.

I would point more to hysterical realism as an example of that than postmodernism, which has more to do with the nature of truth, reality, and perception, though many do consider hysterical realism to be a particular form of postmodernism.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

That is not to say that life was easier, but that more thought went into it, from the way we dined to the way we listened to music.

This is, again, not really being terribly thoughtful or informed.

It is, in fact, an overtly first world take on literature.

It's a overly romanticized view of the past, and certainly, for those eras in which I am most versed about the history of codicology and literature, it is ahistoric.

Those great writers of the past? They wrote for money. (Or beer.) They wrote what they thought would result in money (or beer).

They're strikingly similar to writers today, right down to their reactions to rejections.

Last edited by a moderator:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why aren't you scooting your butt along the carpet like a dog with tape on it's bunghole

Isn't it easier to dogpile
(/end sarcasm)

:)

Oh, hey! Watch the canine references!!

< is sensitive to speciesism.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
This topic comes up about once a month -- usually dragged up, yet again, by some college sophomore taking a survey of novels class and ridiculously but unshakably convinced they're better-read than anyone else in the room and who then sets off to condescend and hold forth to the entire room; a room, by the way, with more than one PhD and a whole truckload of Masters degrees.

We're all done here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.