PA Extended Rights

jaeladarling

I like less than half of you.
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm up way past my bedtime, reading Publish America horror stories. I was a one-time victim of this scam, and every once in a while I sink in and read other people's stories.

I'm glad I do this, because it seems I've stumbled upon something I didn't realize before. If I'm reading everything correctly, PA requires the author to submit in writing that he/she does not want to renew the contract.

Is this correct? I still have my contract, but I'm in the middle of moving, and it's buried in a box. My PA mistake expires in 2014. I've been waiting it out, but now it seems I have to take an extra step.

Le sigh.

What's it going to take to knock these suckers out?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
If I'm reading everything correctly, PA requires the author to submit in writing that he/she does not want to renew the contract.

Is this correct? I still have my contract, but I'm in the middle of moving, and it's buried in a box. My PA mistake expires in 2014. I've been waiting it out, but now it seems I have to take an extra step.

There are several versions of that clause, so it would depend on your actual contract. Some (older ones) say the rights revert automatically unless extended by mutual agreement, and other say the rights extend for another seven years automatically unless cancelled in writing by one party or the other.

You can always be safe and cancel the extension in writing so it won't matter either way.

Oh, and a lot of us are hoping that the ease of self-e-publishing is going to be what knocks these guys out. That or the IRS. Either would be fine. :D

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Terie, you should cover yourself and send them a letter anyway.

I would send it registered post too, so someone has to sign for it, that way you can PROVE that it got there.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
And it they don't accept the letter, make sure you keep the returned copy to show to a judge should PA attempt to continue publishing it.

jaeladarling

I like less than half of you.
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. Thanks, all. I'll send a letter, but since I have the weekend off, I'll also go ahead and dig up my contract to see if there are any other little gems I might have missed.