• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Inkspell Publishing

ShilpaMudiganti

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am the founder of Inkspell Publishing. I saw this discussion today and would like to take this opportunity to answer to the questions that have been raised in this forum.

I understand all the concerns raised and have taken note of them. I am humbled by the attention that is given to all aspects of our offerings. We have not yet launched. As a company, we launch on 1st Jan, 2012 and release our first two book in March 2012. Thereafter, we plan to publish about 1-2 titles per month. We have a full publishing schedule that has allocated slots. Below are my replies to most of the questions I have raised. Please let me know if I missed something and I will answer them too.

Q - It's good that they're focusing on only a couple of genres because it means that they can be more effective with their marketing budget. I'm guessing that by YA they mean romance and fantasy within YA because otherwise YA covers too many genres. - Yes, YA romance and fantasy.

Q - Authors are obviously important but as a publisher, Inkspell should know that they'll need to have final say over key things like marketing, distribution, pricing etc. In addition, I'd be more comfortable if Inkspell were helping authors to release the best story they could as ideally, books should already be polished and completed before submission. - Yes, Inkspell has the final say in these matters. When we say support to the author, we mean polishing their completed manuscript, and extensive help in promotions. We accept only completed and polished manuscripts.

Q - I'll come back to this later but I couldn't see anything on the team page that suggested the editors had commercial editing experience. Instead they all seem to be previously self-published authors. There's nothing wrong with self-publishing, but just editing and releasing your own books doesn't equate to professional experience unless you can demonstrate that your self-published books have been commercially successful (i.e. selling more than 5,000 copies). - We have one editor as of today, Melissa Keir. She is a freelance editor and has also worked at MMP which unfortunately closed. In the meantime, she had already edited two books but they never saw the light of the day. Her book is contracted by Rebel Ink Press. She is a lovely, hardworking woman who gives her best to all books she edits. We are also keen to add more experienced editors in the team.

Q - Unless Inkspell has a deal in place to get books into stores (and it seems that they don't) there's little point in their taking print rights. As an aside, I like printed books too but as a business start-up, it makes more sense to focus on electronic books as a starting point. I'd be more comfortable if they could cite a commercial reason for taking print rights other than their inability to imagine a world without the physically printed word. - Apologies for not being very clear on the printed books part. We intend to sell printed books only through Amazon. We are only a start up and we do not yet have a deal with stores. A print book contract is NOT offered to all authors and in fact, print books only make it more expensive for us as a start up. Yet, we do understand the thrill of having a physical copy in hand. That is the reason why we offer to publish print too. The authors at Inkspell have a say in that space and we are open to any suggestions.

Q - According to the team page, Inkspell has 2 publicists, neither of whom seems to have any experience in professional PR. There's little point in having a dedicated publicist if that person is having to learn as they go. - Both our publicists own blog tour organizing companies. They have already worked with multiple authors in the past year and are wonderful, enthusiastic individuals. They own their blog tour companies and are quite committed to the authors.

Q - Yes, covers are important. This is why it's a little worrying to see that Inkspell has one designer whose qualifications appear to be limited to knowledge of Photoshop. - Our cover pages, website are credentials for our designer. She has done several design projects for authors. Once again, her work can be seen on her website.

Q - It doesn't say if the royalties are paid on net or cover price and it should do. Most ebook publishers pay on net in order to cover listing and third party charges. 40% is not an uncommon royalty rate for ebooks. -It is net sales. We will update the website with this information.

Q - The 8% royalty rate on printed books is piss poor in my opinion given that it seems that Inkspell doesn't pay advances and doesn't seem to have any distribution in place to place books in stores. - Point noted. We hope to cover this aspect this year as the company grows.

Q - It sounds to me as if authors are going to find that they're spending a lot of time doing the kinds of thing that Inkspell should actually be doing and yes, that is actually too much to ask. - The very mission of Inkspell Publishing is to give the authors a fair deal and not make them go through the pain of "doing-it-all". We provide professional editing, high quality cover designs (author inputs for cover page is given major importance) and extensive promotion. We have a two month promotion plan for each book and this includes tying up with other blog tour companies, advertisements, ARCs and other means to spread the word. The author is free to do their own promotions but that is not a requirement to be contracted by us. In this age, it is imperative to have a good online presence for any profession and we expect our authors to participate in our promotions actively as book promotions are more interactive now than before. That is all we ask our authors to do and this, we feel is not too much to ask. :)

Q - It's good that they plan to go slowly, but I'd like to know what they actually mean by that. Have they limited themselves to a set number of publishing slots in the year and allocated a budget accordingly or does it mean something else?- Yes. We have limited our publishing slots. We would publishing only 20 titles in 2012 and each book is assigned equal budget because all are the same to us. We do not want to be just another e-publisher who has jumped on to the bandwagon because ebooks sell today. Inkspell Publishing has been started with one goal in mind - publish quality fiction titles and make the life of a author easier. All good intentions here.:)

Q - Shilpa's only experience is in self-publishing. There's nothing wrong with that, but unless she had personal success with it, I don't see how it qualifies her to publish other people's work. In addition, Shilpa also seems to be an author for InkSpell. That raises the potential for there being a conflict of interest, e.g. when it comes to allocating resources and budgets for her titles. At the very least I'd want to know how InkSpell plans to manage that. -No, my books do not get preference over the others. We already have 3 titles contracted (two are in the process of mailing the signed contract) and all receive the same budget, and the same attention as mine. In fact, considering that I am managing a lot more than just my book, it is slipping down the list quite fast. :) Since Cecilia is our first contracted author and her book release is in march as well, one can reach out to her for her experience. We will soon release information about our newly contracted authors

Q - In addition (and speaking entirely personally), I had a quick look at the extract from her InkSpell book and there were a few grammatical errors and quite a few cliches in there, which makes me question the company's self-proclaimed editorial expertise. - May I ask where did you find the extract? There is only one small excerpt of the book on my personal blog (www.smmirza.blogspot.com) posted pre-editing.

Q - Again, Melissa doesn't appear to have any editing experience from commercial publishing. - I have answered this above.

Q - Again, Majanka doesn't seem to have any previous experience in promotions or PR. I'd want to know what the relationship is (if any) between InkSpell and Enchanted Book Promotions and specifically whether InkSpell authors will be expected to use Enchanted Book's services because that would be a massive conflict of interest. - No. Enchanted book promotions is only one avenue. We would be working with other blog tour companies too for promotions. Authors are free to do their own promotions.

Q - Another publicist with apparently no previous publicity or PR experience. - Again, we have detailed promotion plans for each book and it is not restricted to the publicists own company.

Q - Again, no previous design experience. - Please see my reply above.

Q - I can't find any evidence that Trestle actually published Memories Rustle - presumably this is because Shilpa was 'burnt twice by publishers'. - No they didn't. i was contracted by them and due to unavoidable circumstances have decided to part ways. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to update the post in Coffee Time Romance. I will do it at the earliest.

Q - Unless I'm blind, I can't find a catalog link where their upcoming releases are listed, along with the usual information - ISBN, price, page count, release date. -We have not yet launched and in the process of putting up all the above mentioned information. You would soon find the link to the same on our website.

Q - And where are those e-books going to sell? They don't have an online store, and Amazon doesn't list either title. So the site is sort of useless to a consumer. Few buyers will work that hard to hunt down where to buy a book. - We are not launched yet. Our first books will release in March 2012.

Q - If any of the management lurks about I hope they'll take note that more than one person has commented on the quality of editing in the blurbs (which indicates the same issues in the books themselves).- Noted and thank you for the feedback.

Q - It would be a very wise decision to go over the launch titles one last time and make sure they're the best they can be. - Definitely, will do.

Q - The grammar, syntax, punctuation, and capitalization issues on the website don't augur well for how well the books will be edited. - This is great feedback which we will look in to at the earliest.

This is indeed a great forum for these discussions and I thank you all for taking the time to discuss about Inkspell. We hope to do our best and have a very hardworking, enthusiastic team in place that work together to give the best to our readers and authors. All your positive and constructive feedback here would help us be better in the future. Please feel free to reach out to me for more queries. My personal email id is [email protected] if you want to email me.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Shilpa

Last edited:

Cece N

Half-way there, but need more time.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi!
I just happened to see this thread and wanted to post a quick reply. I'm a member at Absolute Write (though not very active at the moment as much as I would like to...urgh.. too much going on) and yes, My name is Cecilia. I met Shilpa on her blog a while back, even before getting published through Trestle. I will be publishing my novella Truly Madly through Inkspell, and I have to say so far my experience with Inkspell has been wonderful. Yes, I admit I am among their first clients. The good thing is they haven't lumped their desks with manuscripts from other authors. They are publishing a few books at a time, which I think is good, given that some pub. companies take on alot of clients, then don't know what to do with them and end up closing shop, or neglecting them.
On the other hand, I am very glad Absolute Write discusses about new companies, the Dos and DON'Ts,creating awareness, and I have benefited from this advice time and time again. :)
My experience so far with Inkspell is pretty good.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Shilpa, I just want to thank you for coming here, handling this very professionally and actually answering our questions! You'd be amazed by some of the other recent threads here where everyone from the company comes to scream at us but does not answer a single question we ask them. And yes, I'm referring to one in particular. :)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Shilpa, and welcome to AW. Like MysteryRiter, I'd like to add a thank you for taking the time to come and answer the points raised here and also for the professionalism you've shown in your response.

I just wanted to come back on a couple of things in your response.

ShilpaMudiganti:
Apologies for not being very clear on the printed books part. We intend to sell printed books only through Amazon. We are only a start up and we do not yet have a deal with stores. A print book contract is NOT offered to all authors and in fact, print books only make it more expensive for us as a start up. Yet, we do understand the thrill of having a physical copy in hand. That is the reason why we offer to publish print too. The authors at Inkspell have a say in that space and we are open to any suggestions.

It's good to know that you're not automatically going to take print rights and thank you for being open about where print books will be available from.

If I may offer you some advice, given that you are a start-up I'd recommend that you stick with ebooks for the first couple of years or so until you get established in your markets. The reason for this is that as a start-up I'm presuming that you won't have the warehousing or capital for print runs (which are needed to bring down cover prices), which will mean any printed book will have to come from POD. POD's a valid publishing method, but it does result in high cover prices and depending on who you're using, can result in a long delay between order and receipt of the book - particularly if you're using a third party seller like Amazon.

Authors and readers do like having a physical book to hold but romance and fantasy are particularly friendly towards ebooks, which means you can legitimately focus on ebooks as a way of establishing Inkspell's reputation.

In addition, as an author I'd be really turned off by the 8% royalty you're offering on print. I note that this is something you propose addressing this over the course of the year, but from what I've seen many POD royalty-only publishers find it difficult to establish a decent royalty rate that is good for authors but also covers the business costs.

ShilpaMudiganti:
May I ask where did you find the extract? There is only one small excerpt of the book on my personal blog (www.smmirza.blogspot.com) posted pre-editing

I clicked through the links on the Inkspell website - one of them offered an advance peek. If the extract was pre-editing then that's fair enough, but you might want to take a look at your website to make sure the link comes down until the extract is edited.

Best of luck with the company.

MM

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I, too, would like to weigh in to thank Shilpa for her professional approach both to this thread and, more importantly, to her business. It's lovely to see in someone so young, and I hope it leads to success.

ShilpaMudiganti

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you Momento, Terri and MysterWriter for your responses and support. Thank you Cecilia for stopping by and replying.

Thank you Momento for the advice on print books. This is some good information that we will give a serious consideration to. I am relieved that we had not made it mandatory in our plan of things. So, it makes it easier to dis-entangle that whenever required.

This forum is a great place to get some solid advice and I am once again humbled by the details that go in here. Please do get in touch with me for any further questions. I will try my best to answer them.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
It's good to know that you're not automatically going to take print rights and thank you for being open about where print books will be available from.

If I may offer you some advice, given that you are a start-up I'd recommend that you stick with ebooks for the first couple of years or so until you get established in your markets. The reason for this is that as a start-up I'm presuming that you won't have the warehousing or capital for print runs (which are needed to bring down cover prices), which will mean any printed book will have to come from POD. POD's a valid publishing method, but it does result in high cover prices and depending on who you're using, can result in a long delay between order and receipt of the book - particularly if you're using a third party seller like Amazon.

MM

MM - You offered some great points, as always, but I'm not sure about this one.

There are quite a few small presses out there who use POD/eBook technology for their titles. Some of them don't have higher than industry standard paper-back prices and they generate good (in the thousands of units) sales without in-store sales.

Criticizing a press for taking print rights, when they don't have in-store distribution is, imo, not a valid criticism. Yes, they're cut off from about 70% of the market (since most sales still occur in stores) - but a savvy publisher can utilize that 30% market share effectively. And as long as they're transparent to their authors in that regard, I see no issue whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
MM -
There are quite a few small presses out there who use POD/eBook technology for their titles. Some of them don't have higher than industry standard paper-back prices and they generate good (in the thousands of units) sales without in-store sales.
Digital printing is a clearer term to use than POD because it separates the technology from the business model. Depending on how many units you print up via the digital process, and whom you use to print those books, the cost differences between web based printing (offset) and digital can be pretty competitive. Small presses that exclusively use digital (and not offset) printing are getting a smaller profit margin in order to keep their books competitively priced. It's smart business because few will pay $25 for a 135 page book.

Criticizing a press for taking print rights, when they don't have in-store distribution is, imo, not a valid criticism.
A publisher who hasn't proven they have the ability to get books out to the marketplace shouldn't tie up those rights. Initially, authors may be fine only having their physical books available through Amazon, but they'll get feedback from potential customers who would rather find a book in a physical bookstore, a library, or B&N. That entire market is cut out of the picture, thus affecting potential sales.

a savvy publisher can utilize that 30% market share effectively.
Possibly, but this is a new company with very limited publishing experience, and they haven't yet discovered how difficult it is to sell physical books - or market and promote e-books, for that matter. I think they have their hearts in the right place, they're transparent about what they can and can't do - which is always a plus. But when you get into physical books, you have a much larger cash outlay, something that few new start-ups can afford. Better to stay e-book only, and then consider print books at a later date, once they have their financial feet firmly on the ground.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Possibly, but this is a new company with very limited publishing experience, and they haven't yet discovered how difficult it is to sell physical books - or market and promote e-books, for that matter. I think they have their hearts in the right place, they're transparent about what they can and can't do - which is always a plus. But when you get into physical books, you have a much larger cash outlay, something that few new start-ups can afford. Better to stay e-book only, and then consider print books at a later date, once they have their financial feet firmly on the ground.

QFT. And in this case, SERIOUSLY consider the source. As a publisher herself, Priceless1 has been down this road and her advice about it is invaluable.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
swhibs123:

Criticizing a press for taking print rights, when they don't have in-store distribution is, imo, not a valid criticism. Yes, they're cut off from about 70% of the market (since most sales still occur in stores) - but a savvy publisher can utilize that 30% market share effectively. And as long as they're transparent to their authors in that regard, I see no issue whatsoever.

I take the point, but my reasoning for the criticism ties in with what priceless1 says in her post.

One of the reasons I'm not laying into Inkspell as much as I do to other new publishers is precisely because they're being very open about their experience and what they can and cannot do. They also seem to have their eyes open about the difficulties ahead. I'd still give my usual caveats about waiting for 2 years and seeing if Inkspell are still in business (and if so, what the average sales figures are like), but if I was an author in those genres and I'd tried other avenues of publication before getting to Inkspell, then I wouldn't have an issue with trying them on the ebook front, but would want to hold back the print rights until I see some proof of their being able to exploit them effectively. I don't say this to be disrespectful of Inkspell, but more as a way of authors being prudent if they decide to go down that path.

MM

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Digital printing is a clearer term to use than POD because it separates the technology from the business model. Depending on how many units you print up via the digital process, and whom you use to print those books, the cost differences between web based printing (offset) and digital can be pretty competitive. Small presses that exclusively use digital (and not offset) printing are getting a smaller profit margin in order to keep their books competitively priced. It's smart business because few will pay $25 for a 135 page book.

I think this is disingenuous - $25 for a 135 page book? It appears, perhaps just to me, that you're insinuating that that's what the cost has to be for POD when I suspect you know that's not the case. I've seen POD books twice as many pages, have a list price of half as much.

A publisher who hasn't proven they have the ability to get books out to the marketplace shouldn't tie up those rights. Initially, authors may be fine only having their physical books available through Amazon, but they'll get feedback from potential customers who would rather find a book in a physical bookstore, a library, or B&N. That entire market is cut out of the picture, thus affecting potential sales.

I might be confused. Are you saying that authors should only pursue traditional publishing options, and presses who don't offer their titles for sale in bookstores should not take print rights?

Possibly, but this is a new company with very limited publishing experience, and they haven't yet discovered how difficult it is to sell physical books - or market and promote e-books, for that matter.

They've indicated that they, in fact, do have experience with book promotion. And getting physical books listed on online marketplaces is not a steep cost.

I think they have their hearts in the right place, they're transparent about what they can and can't do - which is always a plus. But when you get into physical books, you have a much larger cash outlay, something that few new start-ups can afford. Better to stay e-book only, and then consider print books at a later date, once they have their financial feet firmly on the ground.

Yes - you do have a larger cash outlay with physical books when you use POD technology. I believe Createspace or Amazon Advantage is a $40 set up fee. Which is a lot more than zero, but not exactly bank-breaking.

I'm not saying anything about this press in particular (I know nothing about them other than what I've read here and seen on their site), but it seems they're getting slapped with a double-standard. I could point to a couple presses on AW who get rave reviews by members here, yet those presses employ the same business model as this press.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I take the point, but my reasoning for the criticism ties in with what priceless1 says in her post.

One of the reasons I'm not laying into Inkspell as much as I do to other new publishers is precisely because they're being very open about their experience and what they can and cannot do. They also seem to have their eyes open about the difficulties ahead. I'd still give my usual caveats about waiting for 2 years and seeing if Inkspell are still in business (and if so, what the average sales figures are like), but if I was an author in those genres and I'd tried other avenues of publication before getting to Inkspell, then I wouldn't have an issue with trying them on the ebook front, but would want to hold back the print rights until I see some proof of their being able to exploit them effectively. I don't say this to be disrespectful of Inkspell, but more as a way of authors being prudent if they decide to go down that path.

MM

I see your point, and I agree. Always wait and see. Always start at the top. It was the perceived (perhaps in my own eyes) double standard that this press was getting slapped with that I thought inappropriate.

cheers

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
I think this is disingenuous - $25 for a 135 page book? It appears, perhaps just to me, that you're insinuating that that's what the cost has to be for POD when I suspect you know that's not the case. I've seen POD books twice as many pages, have a list price of half as much that are POD.
I think you misunderstood. My example may have been over the top, but I was trying to highlight the point that I've seen POD publishers who charge a higher retail price to offset the higher digital printing costs. Conversely, as I said in my previous post, I've seen many POD publishers who keep their retail pricing competitive because it's smart business - even though they're paying higher printing costs and, therefore, reducing their profit margin.

For instance, it costs me .85 to print a 350 page book for a 10k unit print run (web based). That same book would cost me around $3.50-ish for a 200 unit digital print run.

And please...may I suggest that you could probably accuse me of a lot of things, but disingenuous isn't one of them.

I might be confused. Are you saying that authors should only pursue traditional publishing options, and presses who don't offer their titles for sale in bookstores should not take print rights.
I wasn't suggesting anything. I was merely stating how the industry works and what choices authors have in order to make decisions that will positively impact their literary careers. The publisher we're discussing on this thread is an e-publisher. They're new and won't be selling physical books on any other venue than Amazon, so I suggested that they shouldn't tie up those print rights for the reasons I stated in my previous post. You might be trying to lump my statements about this particular company with POD, and that's not at all what I was suggesting.

Getting back to POD, there are times when a POD publisher makes perfect sense, but authors need to be aware of what a POD can and can't do for them so they know exactly what they're getting into, and what they'll need to do to garner sales. If an author is keen to get national distribution, then I would make the case that a POD publisher probably isn't the best choice.

They've indicated that they, in fact, do have experience with book promotion. And getting physical books listed on online marketplaces is not a steep cost.
Their experience appears to be blog/online based. There is a lot more to promotion than the internet. Additionally, it takes a long to establish an online presence, so this new company has its work cut out for itself. I always recommend authors wait a couple years to see how a new publisher performs because it takes about that long to run out of money.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A good example of what can be done with digital printing would be Samhain (incl. making presence in chain bookstores and some mainstream best-seller lists). There is a wide range of pricing and distribution that can be acheived with this technology. The top end being not too far short of what you can do with an offset print run IMHO. The cover price is still a tad higher and the discount a tad more shallow--but it can work pretty well.

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I am a junior-publicist with Inkspell and their experience is wonderful.

The authors do get quality editorial support. A new editor Rie is wonderful and with the editors union. They are currently acquiring new publicists.

If you look at the recent titles of their covers are wonderful and their most successful novels are The Carny and Want. The authors also get a say in how they would like their covers to be designed. The authors are given five paper copies of their novel, and e-copies for giveaways.

The author presence online, basically the authors help support the other authors who have been published by Inkspell to help every novel succeed. When a new cover is revealed for an upcoming book, there is a small giveaway of bookmarks or key rings.

Hope this helps.

Actually, not much. 'Wonderful' is a subjective description. This entire post is heavy on hype (and the word 'wonderful') and light on objective fact. It doesn't provide any information at all about the things writers need to know when looking for a publisher.

Writers considering where to submit their books aren't (or at least shouldn't be) looking for feel-good rhetoric. They're lookinig for facts about the publisher's industry experience, sales, and so on.

Providing author loops and allowing authors to provide input about their covers aren't things that help sell books to readers.

Also? A publicist's job is to sell books to readers, not to sell the publisher to writers.

Kastil

Writing Whore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kastil.wordpress.com
My book, Fractured, is contracted with InkSpell. If you have any questions about InkSpell, feel free to PM me.
So, by your tagline in your signature, your book isn't out yet.

I would be interested in someone's experience after the book launch and how much support was given. I have a completed YA manuscript out to a few beta readers and haven't decided to shop it around yet. Personally, I've seen better than 8% from other YA companies so I'm wondering about the support after the release.

Granted, I know from the other things I have published that the author has to do promos (per most of my contracts) but the publisher also puts their best foot forward.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
"Granted, I know from the other things I have published that the author has to do promos (per most of my contracts) but the publisher also puts their best foot forward."

And at other times, a publisher's best foot forward kicks the author in the ass and tells them to get out there and sell books...

Just like a recent publisher just told me to do, upon a new release.

I take and took great offense to that comment and, frankly, am getting fed-up with hearing these push/shove tactics from small press. I've had my share of grief from these amateurs, and have delighted in tearing up more contracts than I've signed in the past seven years. Eleven total.

A free sales force is the most enticing aspect of why small mom and pop publishers go into business in the first place. A love of books and respect for their authors come second, IMO. There are exceptions, but the fine lines are still there.

tri

Kastil

Writing Whore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kastil.wordpress.com
"Granted, I know from the other things I have published that the author has to do promos (per most of my contracts) but the publisher also puts their best foot forward."

And at other times, a publisher's best foot forward kicks the author in the ass and tells them to get out there and sell books...

Just like a recent publisher just told me to do, upon a new release.

I take and took great offense to that comment and, frankly, am getting fed-up with hearing these push/shove tactics from small press. I've had my share of grief from these amateurs, and have delighted in tearing up more contracts than I've signed in the past seven years. Eleven total.

A free sales force is the most enticing aspect of why small mom and pop publishers go into business in the first place. A love of books and respect for their authors come second, IMO. There are exceptions, but the fine lines are still there.

tri
Sorry to hear about your experience but it hasn't been mine with the publishers I'm with. They promote as much as I do.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Sorry to hear about your experience but it hasn't been mine with the publishers I'm with. They promote as much as I do.

Didn't mean to paint with such a broad brush. I do have some very involved and effective publishers who really know what they're doing. But you have to watch out for the others and perform due diligence during research. It took me a while to spot the lazy ones by carefully reading their mission statements. Any excessive author promo advice or declarations that appears in a publisher's mission statement is enough for me to back off and seriously reconsider. I'm talking above the normal expectations of what an author is expected to do.

If you're asked to compile a friends and family list with email addresses--run like hell

If you get bombarded with instructional emails on how and where to market and promote your book--run like hell.

If you're asked to contribute financially to a group ad for the publisher so your book can be included--run like hell.

If you're asked for a comprehensive marketing plan and budget--run like hell.

If you are required to do book signings on your own dime and you must perform a certain amount of signings within any type of a time frame--run like hell.

If you can see that the publisher sells exclusively from their website, with little or no penetration into the other online retail stores or lists--run like hell.

Sorry, very passionate about this. That's why I'm a Guerrilla fighter for the writers.

tri

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir