Authors claiming to be "bestsellers"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Add "award winning" to the list of claims made by oh-so many ... awards by bloggers, writers groups, hastily-assembled groups of unknowns ... meaningless ...
Exactly what I was about to say. There are countless authors who prefix their names with "Award-winning author..."

After investigation, you find out it's an 'award' from some no-mark blog written by someone in the back of beyond.

Yes, it's good someone out there likes your book but a blogger award that's little more than a mate backslapping you is hardly the Booker, is it?

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Harlequin referred to my Outlanders series as "best-selling" several times over the years...I was never sure of their criteria, but I occasionally call myself "the best-selling author of" for promotional purposes.

I figure if somebody has a problem with it, they can challenge Harlequin.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I've seen that on a few publisher sites, like "Reader's Favorite". Now that I really think about I think I can count more times I've seen "Best Selling Author" than I can remember the actual author's name. I honestly consider it a marketing plot more than anything, no offense to anyone who uses it. Kind of like "A lot of people bought this, and you should too." type of thinking. Saying "Best Selling" is kind of like putting a "(Enter name of Book Club here)'s Favorite Novel/Novel of the Month/Week" in my opinion. Besides I think "Best Selling" is one of those it's good and it's bad type of things. I mean if you really think about it Stephenie Meyer is Best Selling Author because of her books. "Best Selling" doesn't guarantee it's a good book, just that a lot of people bought it supposedly.

And as someone said, unless it's USA Today, New York Times, Huffington Post, or so on, you really don't see where it says these writers are best selling, just that they're "Best Selling".

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
While I never made the NYT or USA Today BSL, I can lay claim to being the best selling media tie-in writer for my publisher for 2004. *grin*

I found that out when my former editor-in-chief wrote a recommendation for me for college and included that information. I was pleased (and aggravated that the publisher declined to go back for a second printing, even though we had more than enough orders to justify it.)

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really give a flop if an author is a bestseller, so they aren't gaining any credibility with me.

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
I recently found out that an online friend has sold over 35,000 copies of her self-published ebooks.

I thought that sounded like a heck of a lot.

If she describes herself as a bestselling author, she's never done so anywhere I've seen it.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I recently found out that an online friend has sold over 35,000 copies of her self-published ebooks.

Go, your friend! That's a fabulous result. And like most actually successful people, she doesn't feel the need for fake laurels, as you point out.

Chekurtab

Smart donkey. Please don't call me-
Registered
Reaction score
Twitter - another medium for shameless self-promotion and marketing gimmicks. Everybody is a best selling author in their mind. Or even a legend. Too bad some don't even have a book...

Status
Not open for further replies.