Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Aww. I missed Mr. K. :(

I've been dealing with flies. In my basement. I am not pleased, since the worst case would potentially involve ripping things up to fix the sewer.

I'm really hoping it's a dead critter somewhere I can't find (and I smell nothing). 'cause then the issue will resolve in a week or so.

At least if the worst happens, home owners should take care of quite a lot of it.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really hoping it's a dead critter somewhere I can't find (and I smell nothing). 'cause then the issue will resolve in a week or so.

You have a dog? It would find the dead thing quickly. And roll in it. But then you'd know where it was.

:D

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
The strip just before that, earlier this week, was a better panel of him in full get-up. But this one was funnier.

Got a link to that one?

Also, this is how weird I am: Even though I find that funny when I saw it I immediately noticed several ways that situation makes no sense (not counting the "talking crocodiles" business):

1) Bert sings that particular song in a cartoon land, not on a rooftop.
2) He's in a totally different outfit when he does it.
3) The song sung by chimney-sweep-outfit Bert on a roof is "Step in Time."
4) Even if the guy thought Mary Poppins can fly (which actually she can, so the mum is kinda wrong on that one) if he was fan enough of the film to dress up and sing on a rooftop he'd know that Bert sure as Hell can't.
5) Plus of course the son is wrong because the dad is dressed as Bert, not Mary Poppins.

... god I'm so damn lame sometimes...

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The mom croc was responding that she doesn't *really* fly, it's just part of the movie and so not real (or in the case of the Pearls storyline, a community play).

So yes, you're over-thinking it.

And no, the dad is in fact dressed as Mary Poppins...

78987300ac2d012f2fee00163e41dd5b.gif

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
The mom croc was responding that she doesn't *really* fly, it's just part of the movie and so not real (or in the case of the Pearls storyline, a community play).

So yes, you're over-thinking it.

And no, the dad is in fact dressed as Mary Poppins...

78987300ac2d012f2fee00163e41dd5b.gif
Ah, I see. Couldn't really see the outfit properly in the other one. That invalidates all my points, actually... though it still raises a couple of other ones.

Really, all I can think of looking at that is "How stupid is that guy to think that's a good thing to be doing?" as well as "Where the Hell did he get that costume from?"

Still, these two comics are some of the greatest things I've seen in quite a while...

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"One does not simply multi-quote into Mordor!"

I will never look at bees the same way again. Ever.

Yup, honeybees get a bad rap from their low-rent, jack-waggon cousins: The Ground Bees (aka Yellow Jackets).

*shakes fist*

So, how much retail might this liquid gold be going for?

We want to retire this year, so $287,000 per bottle.

Or maybe just somewhere between $5-7 depending on the size of the bottle. We haven't thought that far ahead yet. We're still in the Harvesting Afterglow.

Remind me never, ever to come visit you...

Emoticon: Sad Face.

You know, I used to be terrified of all stinging insects, but keeping bees re-caged my gyro.

As an aside, any chance I can ask you what my generation can do about the declining wild bee population? Or shall I add that to my enormous List of Things to Ask a Relevant Scientist If I Meet One.

There's a lot you can do to help the bees. If you're not interesting in actually keeping bees, then planting heavy-duty pollinating stuff is always good. And supporting local beekeepers. Thankfully, the bees seem to be overcoming many of the challenges faced in recent years (mites, CCD, invasive species, etc). They're a hardy little bug.

Yay for bees! And I'll say it here... I really enjoyed the pictures on the Twitters, CM! You run a class operation... except for that lady tasting teh honies instead of putting it in the jar... that didn't seem fair.

Aw, thanks B. CobraMrsFit and I have a lot of fun with the hobby. And the "thief" was the Sister Unit who called dibs on the stuff we couldn't get out of the bucket.

I'm not a scientist by any measure but I do know part of the answer to this. Not all bees live in hives, some are solitary, so it's helpful to leave small hollow things lying about in your garden - old branches, rolled up tubes of paper, anything of that kind. it has to be somewhere where the rain can't get in - obviously - or where you can shelter it. you're not guaranteed bees, but by supporting the insect population in general it will help.

You can buy little insect houses these days but to be honest one of the easiest things to do is to not be quite so tidy in your garden, like rake your leaves but then leave them somewhere, prune your branches but then leave some behind under a hedge, that kind of thing.

And if anyone knows any more I would be delighted to learn it.

Yah, there are all sorts of species out there. Carpenter Bees, Bumble Bees, Asian Bees, German Bees, The Bee Gees, The B-52s, To Bees or Not To Bees, etc. The only ones I kill on sight are Yellow Jackets and I do that with fire.

Literally.

As for the rest, like Ali said, bees can make just about anything their home. I've seen the little bee houses for sale at the local botanical garden and thought about getting a few, but figure with 300,000 of them currently paying rent on our property, we were good to go.

Aaaaaaaaaand I'll stop talking bees now.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Oh.

:e2bummed:

Or maybe just somewhere between $5-7 depending on the size of the bottle.

:e2woo:

I do really, really like good honey. So much better than what's in the store.

You can be my honey dealer.

Which sounds way dirtier now that I've said it out loud.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
You have a dog? It would find the dead thing quickly. And roll in it.

Despite that wonderful mental image, I really, really want a dog again now.

There are probably people who would pay that, given how terrible a giant percentage of shop-bought honey is. Not that, y'know... I would be desperate or anything.

*places wallet safely out of reach of internet*

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
mmmm, my husband is a good gardener, and a good cook. Tonight he made pork chops and sauerkraut (which we made ourselves), mashed potatoes (that we grew ourselves), and grilled veggies (onion, peppers, squash and tomatoes, that we grew ourselves).

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
23,000 words left to read aloud today.

*sips tea*

This would be so much more effective if it were hot tea. But it's Phoenix in July. I would die. :(

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
23,000 words left to read aloud today.

*sips tea*

This would be so much more effective if it were hot tea. But it's Phoenix in July. I would die. :(

I don't know if you can do it on a PC, but on a Mac, you can have the computer read text outloud. It's not perfect, but man, it catches a lot of stuff I don't when I read outloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.