XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Ohnoes! Straight girls, how can you forget Max? I'd make a valiant attempt at going straight for him!

In terms of futility, would be the hormones equivalent of popular conception of the battle of the Somme, but that's beside the point.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RAIN! WITH ACTUAL INCHAGE EXPECTED!!!

Waitaminute. I've tested positive for strep 4 times and never once had pustules. Is this a new strain or something?

Sounds painful.

R u sure? One they rupture they are just red spot.

Good evening, Cantina, and thanks for the good wishes re the story. I do sometimes wonder what people who haven't met me thing I'm like as a person based on the stories I write, but I guess anyone with published work could say that. Off to do some more research on Stockholm Syndrome for the story rewrite.

(I do have a sense of humour but can't write comedy to save my life. Much of what I write is often very dark. I suspect thirty years of reading Joyce Carol Oates has warped me for life. And she's a very pleasant and often funny lady in real life - I've met her twice.)

Please go and see a doctor, Fenika - you do not sound at all well. By the way, it was mainly your beta comments on the first version of Partings and Greetings which led me to 1) change it from three narrators to one and 2) develop a will-they/won't-they between two of the main characters which builds up over half the novel. However, if Troublesome Scene goes one way, I'm faced with a novel that needs an extra 50% or so added to it, and a two-year instead of one-year timeline. Oh and yes, I'm looking forward to that collaboration, so look after yourself!

Best wishes to everyone from the rainy south of England.

Yay, I'm useful! :heart:

Good luck with that plot stuff though.

Little spider, why makest thou a resting-place of mine shower? For lo! I hath chased thee twenty minutes and ten to return thee to thy woodland home, and still thou dost elude me. T'would break mine heart to see thee drown'd!

*puts hand on chest*

*gaspgasp convulse choke*

*falls over, thrashes*

Oh. I forgot to hyperventilate. *resumes thrashing, hyperventilates*

*eventually goes still*

~Fin~

:Clap:

And see, you made us smile. The world is a better place for awhile.

Hm... I really thought we had more guys than this... How about Peter?

:popcorn:

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Good even, all! I've ingested a lot of diet soda today.

I got a new little journal to plan my goals and track my writing output... and I'm waiting for Project Runway to run online. I'm watching Project Runway Australia in the meantime. There's a girl with anime hair that is the color of very bright cotton candy.

Fen - glad you're going to the Dr.!

Junely - summer illness BLOWS CHUNKS.... sometimes literally... I hope it clears up very quickly!!

Raventongue - I laughed out loud at your poor l'il spider!

And Psycho - that are plenty of words!

kenthepen

Registered
Reaction score
I wanna be September!

Wearing a battered old fedora and a green sport coat, in a dingy alley, with a C45 in a brown paper bag!

ETA: You know, something from real life!

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
The Epic muliquote from the future.

Just to highlight this particular bit:

I have just realized we've added the number of Cantina pages so far that we usually do in a day. And it's not even 4pm here yet.

Yes. Yes you lot have. :p

I believe it is the inalienable right of students to steal food from their parents cupboards.

Well, if I ran out of money, they'd end up forking out anyway. So I don't see any difference :p

Would that I could, my friend. I would like to give blood (good cause and all that) but apparently I'm just not allowed to.

Which sucks.

Yeah, I can't give blood. I have Raynaud's, so it normally takes two visits to get a needle of blood out of me, let alone half a kilo

October 29th. And it makes for great Halloween reading. (Is that a thing?)

Nope, not here :p But I will buy it when it comes out, even if we are sans halloween. *marks calendar*

*deep breathes*

I'm trying to stay calm and not have a panic attack. But seriously I want to kill people. I just want to get the hell out of this apartment and tell people where they can stick it.

Not long now.

I could still do a lot with $10, but hey, I'm in the position of many young adults where $2 can make a difference in my lifestyle.

This.

I have to ask, though, if you're heterosexual but still sleeping around a lot, does that disqualify you, too? Or only if you're homosexual? (And if the latter, I imagine the Canadian LGBT community should be well up in arms over that.)

Yeah, no that's what sucks imho. Anyone can get HIV - it's not like it's a homosexual disease. And really - you're just lopping out at least 1/10th of the population from your blood pool.

C'mere, Raven, here's a hug for you. :Hug2: I'm sorry. I'm not gonna whip anybody. I just got the mulligrubs. I can't stay out of the bathroom, I can't keep anything on my tummy. It makes me grumpy.

I think it must be contagious through the interwebs, cause that's been me the past couple of days.

Psychomacologist, can I just add that your blog is an immense source of joy to me? I love the subjects you blog about and how you tackle them, and it's funny to boot.

This. I had a look the other day, and it had a point of view that I'd never seriously taken into account, even though I try to be open minded with my living.

Makes me wonder what else I haven't taken into account. That in turn makes me more patient when dealing with others. So thanks for writing it :)

They probably should ask about number of partners as opposed to orientation but they don't. Possibly they fear that the massive amounts of shame people seem to have WRT their sex lives would result in an even bigger donor shortage if they added anything. It would mean many or most gay men could donate, but numbers-wise it's hard to tell whether they'd break even.

Interesting thing I read last semester - not sure if it was a purely circumstantial finding, but there was a peer reviewed paper on the sexual habits of both gay and straight people in Melbourne (a city of about 4 million and the capital of my state). One thing that did come up in their surveys was number of sexual partners: Straight women on average had had 7 sexual partners, straight guys 21, lesbians 7 and gay men had reported an average of 71 sexual partners.

Now, I'm not sure if these figures are swayed by how the respondents defined "sexual partner", or if there was some over or under estimation going on, but it was a fairly large sample size, and that is a fairly large gap in numbers. So there may be something to it.

Still doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't matter, because you can screen for these things anyway.

*sprints to Raven*
*starts internet CPR*

"Where's Sian when we need her!"

*continues CPR*

"Umm... I'm not giving you mouth to mouth."

I was driving :D For five hours :D

You probably wouldn't want me giving CPR atm.

Mutters, "One more chapter, one more chapter...."

*slinks away*

:e2cheer: gogogo!

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
However, 4000 is a nice round number and it brings me to about quarter of the way through my little novella :D

/proud writerly indulgence>

Great wordcount - well done!

Now it is time for late-night pizza and Avatar: the Last Airbender.

Is that the film version?

"Ever since I saw you, I knew you were a bender."
"There are some powerful benders in the North."

No film so unintentionally funny to British audiences since Free Willy (though that was just the title).

Hm... I really thought we had more guys than this...

People would pay good money NOT to see me in a state of semi-undress.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Morning cantinas :Sun:

Gentlemen in the cantina?

Kenthepen - i think it's in the name
Bos
CM
Debio - MIA
Max
Eyeblink
Gilroy
Shoeless
BW
Angel
Pthom
Ace

I think that's 12, so you should get something out of that.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, no that's what sucks imho. Anyone can get HIV - it's not like it's a homosexual disease. And really - you're just lopping out at least 1/10th of the population from your blood pool.

<snip>

Interesting thing I read last semester - not sure if it was a purely circumstantial finding, but there was a peer reviewed paper on the sexual habits of both gay and straight people in Melbourne (a city of about 4 million and the capital of my state). One thing that did come up in their surveys was number of sexual partners: Straight women on average had had 7 sexual partners, straight guys 21, lesbians 7 and gay men had reported an average of 71 sexual partners.

Now, I'm not sure if these figures are swayed by how the respondents defined "sexual partner", or if there was some over or under estimation going on, but it was a fairly large sample size, and that is a fairly large gap in numbers. So there may be something to it.

Still doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't matter, because you can screen for these things anyway.

The blood-donating ban for gay men has also something to do with the stereotype that gay men are always wildly promiscuous with many different sexual partners and more at risk of contracting HIV for that reason. What would be the comparable numbers for gay men who don't live in cities with active gay scenes? Rather less of a gap in numbers, I'd suspect.

Also, there are more than a few gay men who are monogamous. Or celibate - well-known examples of the latter include Stephen Fry (in the past - not now) and the film director Terence Davies.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
February: BigWords, in kilt and sword, on top of a cliff in some wilderness.

:Wha: See? I get dragged into the weirdness even when I'm not here.

Hm... but what shall we dress him as?

Mankini.

You would have all the guys in the Cantina wearing a mankini if you had your way...

And in case you guys had not been paying attention... IT IS FRIDAY. :D

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Morning cantinas :Sun:

Gentlemen in the cantina?

Kenthepen - i think it's in the name
Bos
CM
Debio - MIA
Max
Eyeblink
Gilroy
Shoeless
BW
Angel
Pthom
Ace

I think that's 12, so you should get something out of that.
Yay, I made it onto a list. :D

Now what is this for?

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Good very early morning. Two small children woke me up very early and as we were falling back to sleep, I hear a very loud boom followed by resounding silence. The power is out. We end up all awake and hubs investigated to discover that part of a tree fell on the power lines over at the neighbors.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, I made it onto a list. :D

Now what is this for?

Do you really want to know...

Any calendars (or anything else you guys come up with) should be okayed through Mac first... And I really am dreading the through of how badly a "Men Of AW" calendar would sell.

We end up all awake and hubs investigated to discover that part of a tree fell on the power lines over at the neighbors.

Is everyone okay?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Urgh. Someone in Denver entered a theater showing an early release of Batman, released a bomb of some sort, opened fire, and killed 14 people :( What is wrong with people????

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I'm following the news (there's a thread) with a "slowly drowning" feeling. God knows how I'm going to be able to convince anyone that this is The Crazy and not a comic-book thing...

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The guy has or says he has bombs set up, and has heavy firearms. He's long term crazy. Comic books can't change that.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Friends.

Hard to be peppy. I just woke up and saw the news. That theater is just in the next town over from me. So scary.

Reports say there were small children in there. :( *hugs Baby*

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
On a normal day (normal being relative) I get around a hundred e-mails a day, ranging from the downright stupid to the strange, with occasional things related to what is going on in the world... Today? Just gone half past twelve and I already have 400 e-mails needing dealt with. The shit has officially hit the fan, and anyone vocal about comics, computer games, and probably pop culture in general, is in for a tough week. Some things are easy to ignore (I don't hand out the contact details of creators. Ever), but others - man, this is gonna be annoying me for the rest of the month.

Time to seriously consider the prospect of holing up and not answering the 'phone or looking at e-mails...

Status
Not open for further replies.