Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pic- http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7379723#post7379723

Yay fer Horsie! :heart:

I wasn't even *in* the last one. I am not loved here. :cry:

Write the next one :)

I think I have stopped writing my WIP novel due to not be sure how to portray the many, many political factions of a Dieselpunk country.

Oh yes, Fenika, I have a female dog now. Her name is Cloud, she's a toy poodle.

Aww. Pics!

And I thought Black Caviar was a team, so the only thing I understood was the Ausie sports war cry ;)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As the Cantina Turns. Mary and Gary Sue Cantinaites get into trouble. The first and second season are still in some sigs :)

And Cheers, CM.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
For the record, BigWords, I am officially gunning for your kilted ass! How long ago was the TV Tropes related smartassery? Well, I'm still trapped in the Oubliette of Archive Binging, thank you very much!!!

:D

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
when I'm alone in my head, I pronounce Derby Darby. - I guess that was a post for the previous page's discussion

cuz I can do that.

Hello everyone. I've been reading. I'm still reading. Crying my eyes out actually. I'm almost done and ready to rejoin our ka-tet, but please be aware I will speak Dark Tower-ese for a few more weeks, while my heart and mind are still full of it's dark and terrible beauty. If it does ya fine.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
BETTIE!!!!!

<tackle hug>

I know it's only been a day, but I missed you!!!!

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
The girl from Kentucky understood the reference. Even if y'all do run your horse races the wrong way around. :D

Yes, that we do. Seasons too, and water down the toilet bowl, all backwards.

when I'm alone in my head, I pronounce Derby Darby. - I guess that was a post for the previous page's discussion

cuz I can do that.

Hello everyone. I've been reading. I'm still reading. Crying my eyes out actually. I'm almost done and ready to rejoin our ka-tet, but please be aware I will speak Dark Tower-ese for a few more weeks, while my heart and mind are still full of it's dark and terrible beauty. If it does ya fine.

Hmm. I've never actually read dark tower. Picked it up a couple of times, but could never get in it. Not sure why.

And I may possibly have a horse racing horse. We do horse-racing here - everyone has a day off and nicks off to the races. Also, we may have a public holiday for the melbourne cup.

And fen! That horse! So pretty. Wow. Slightly blown away there.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Yes, that we do. Seasons too, and water down the toilet bowl, all backwards.

Hmm. I've never actually read dark tower. Picked it up a couple of times, but could never get in it. Not sure why.

And I may possibly have a horse racing horse. We do horse-racing here - everyone has a day off and nicks off to the races. Also, we may have a public holiday for the melbourne cup.

And fen! That horse! So pretty. Wow. Slightly blown away there.

....I might have to shun you now.... don't take it personal....

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Good morning cantinas :Sun:

Zoe has a little toy lawnmower which blows bubbles.
You do know they make flavored bubbles, right?

My favorite are the banana ones :D
I soooo want to be a kid right now. Blowing bubbles is cool.

I have magical surveillance cameras that stretch across most of a country an entire ocean and straight into you room.

...nope that didn't sound creepy at all. Not At All. :D
*Looks around* Hey Kricket, if you're spying, could you do some cleaning while you're there. I don't have time.

Guys. It's supposed to be SUMMER in britian. What have you done to the place?
But... We have warm beer, cricket and morris dancing. What's not to love?
Of course it's summer in the UK, that's why it's raining. Maybe we should rename 'flaming June' as 'flooding June'. Oh, and what BW said.

I don't have High-Def TV, but I suspect that, no matter the image resolution, the programming will still be the same crap.
You and Bruce Springsteen.

I r a Horse Owner :)
Yeay! Lovely horse.

What on earth is an AtCT?
Right now, that is a dangerous question to ask.

I wasn't even *in* the last one. I am not loved here. :cry:
Sorry.

Write the next one :)
Yeah, write the next one. Please write the next one. Would someone somewhere please, please, please write the next one?

cuz I can do that.

We pronounce Derby as darby over here. And I am listening to the Dark Tower series at the moment. During my lunch, I believe I may have mentioned that too. I am on book 3 and I am losing weight.

I have a mariachi hat...
You know, that sounds perfect for a Sunday.

I need to do edits this morning and I am going to have a go at my SFF challenge one more time before I finally give up and do something else.

Better get that coffee on.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Peter, take a damn chill pill. You're a day late and a dollar short to the conversation, then you come in like one of those overinflated micromanagers who get off on pushing their power over their employees.

The Cantina is, and always has been, the relaxing thread where SFF writers and enthusiasts can come let down from their days. Nearly every topic, including some that are borderline TMI, has been covered. So yeah, we hit upon a topic often covered in another part of the Water Cooler. We had a brief civil conversation about politics and moved on.

It's not as if politics play no part in fictional worlds. What if someone got an awesome story idea from that conversation? You never no what real life discussions will spark awesome SFF ideas and I don't feel the conversations should limited, especially in the general chat thread for the SFF forum.

You may be the landlord, but if this bullying BS doesn't stop, I'll take the issue to the property owner.

Pthom, loosen up and actually chat with us oh crazy overlord. You know we only bite sometimes. :e2teeth:

We could always play dodgesmibble to lighten the mood.

Dear Cantina denizens.

A couple of days ago, I made a rash post in a state of bilious ire over a topic that was in no way as bilious or provocative as I mistakenly believed it was (in a PM from a fellow moderator, cautioning me about it). I was in a hurry, and only scanned the previous pages and after I hit "Submit Reply" realized I was indeed a day late.

I came across too strongly, and for that I apologize. Especially to any of you who, although I made no direct reference to any one person, thought my post was directed at them. I will never intentionally do that in the open forum. If I have a beef with anyone, I will address it in PM.

But if you would, let me make an attempt to clarify my position regarding political discussions. They so easily can degenerate into "My beliefs are right and therefore you, who believe otherwise, are wrong." Upon further in-depth reading of the discussion here, that didn't happen, but so often these kinds of discussions do.

Now, politics is often a major plot component of speculative fiction. But a discussion of contemporary politics isn't fiction (no doubt someone will call me out on that) and I believe it does not belong in our forum in the same way that I believe discussions of religious nature (except fictional ones, of course) do not belong here. But by all means, have your political and/or religious discussions--but take them, if you would, to the forums here in the Water Cooler designed especially for such discussions.

For my rash post of last week, and for failing to put in a smiley or a wink and for coming across as a bully, I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
*Looks around* Hey Kricket, if you're spying, could you do some cleaning while you're there. I don't have time.

I said I have cameras. I'm not actually there. :)

I swear the man would make another fortune.

Wish me luck. I'm off to have breakfast.

You need luck to get breakfast? Do you travel through shark infested waters to get to the kitchen.?

And good morning friends!

I'm tired of being spat up on.

That is all.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Morning. Morning?! I never went to bed, just fell asleep with my head on the desk and woke up three hours ago...

Oddly enough, archives weren't to blame.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I said I have cameras. I'm not actually there. :)
That is sooo cheating.

You need luck to get breakfast? Do you travel through shark infested waters to get to the kitchen.?

No, I have a Stephen King audio book. I don't need luck to get breakfast, I need luck to hang on to my breakfast.

You know, anyone sensible would watch cartoons.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Soooo. What should I get for an 17 year old boy who is turning 18 soon? Which is the legal age for everything in aus, and as such quite a big deal.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
As the Cantina turns - Independence Day

If this makes you smile, please consider giving a donation to Kids Need To Read - Thank you

As the Cantina turns - Independence Day

Ali put down her tea mug on the bar and looked up as Pthom shuffled in the door,
“What's up Pthom? You look a little green around the gills,” she said.

“I don't know, it's like every time I walk in here I feel lethargic. I've just got no energy left. One for me and one for him please,” Pthom flicked a thumb at the parrot, which was sat on a perch at the end of the bar cracking open the shell of fresh roasted treat, before collapsing on a pile of Smibbles.

“One vomiting zombie for the gentleman and one spring water, slightly chilled, for the bird,” said Ali, lighting the firework in Pthom's drink before fetching the water jug to refill the parrot's dish.

An hour or so later Pthom was looking worse and Ali had insisted he lay himself down on a couch while she sent for help.

“I think I can cure this,” said Sian, as she peered into her medical microscope.
“What's he got?” asked Ali.
“Parasites – ticks to be precise,” said Sian, “I'm certain of it.”
“How did I get them?” asked Pthom, raising himself on the pile of smibbles.
“From the parrot,” said Sian.
“You mean he's got Polly ticks?” said TJ, several cantinas giggled.
“Yes, but only a few,” said Sian,”most of them are on the parrot. I have some equipment here somewhere,” Sian rummaged in her medical kit.

The news spread around the cantina and everyone became involved.
“If it's the parrot, then let's get rid of it,” said Ken, “Set it free or something,”
“No, you can't give the bird the bird,” said Raven, “It's just not right.”
“Who put you in charge? This isn't a dictatorship,” said Junely.
“Let's take a vote on it then,” said Raven.
“It's not a democracy either,” said Pthom, “These are my ticks.”

“More like an adhocracy to me,” said Hillz, “I swear, we just make it up every time.”
“I think it should be a kritocracy like 'SYW' is,” said Kricket.
“I always like the idea of a plutocracy,” said Suzanne.
“At least he's funnier than Mickey, but he's not exactly old Scrooge McDuck, now he was funny,” said Bos.

“So what are we then, a band society?” said 10s, “can anyone play an instrument?”
“Triangle on a good day,” said Eye, demonstrating.
“Shame it's not a guitar, we could have a stratocracy,” said Ali
“Oh. Ha. Ha.” said 10s.

“Given the way we talk about food perhaps it should be a nomarchy,” said BigWords who was munching on a deep fried smibble.

“For goodness sake, can we get back to the problem please? What do we do about these ticks?” said Gina.
“Found them,” said Sian, pulling a set of crowbars from the kitbag, “Tick tweezers. We can pull them off, one at a time.”
“Wouldn’t duct tape be faster?” asked Gina, “You know, strip him, wind him up like a mummy, and then spin to win. All the ticks gone at once, problem solved.”

“You can’t do that,” said Pthom, ”Think about my chest hair.”
“We are,” said Suzanne, “And your legs need waxing too.”
“We are only trying to help,” said TJ, who was trying to remove Pthom’s eyebrows with a pair of tweezers.
“Leave me alone, just leave me alone,” said Pthom, backing away furiously into the pile of smibbles, “You people are all anarchists.”

“You know I don't think he deserves to have them removed,” said Junely.
“I agree, this isn’t a meritocracy you know,” said Angel, "you just need to have faith,"
"I'm not sure I believe in theocracy," said Pthom.

“So if we can’t use the tweezers, how do we get rid of them?” Sian asked Fen, who had been studying a large book for several minutes while the conversation had carried on around her. Fen closed War and Peace and picked up her phone,
“According to my associates in the medical profession,” she waved the phone, “there's no cure, he'll have to go to parasite and carrier extermination.”
“What?” said Pthom.
“We'll have to shoot him,” said Fen.
“Come on, be mature about this, show a little moderation, there's only a few of them. You don't need to shoot me for that,” said Pthom.
“How about we shoot him just a little bit?” said Angel.
“You're not shooting him, you'll ruin my tie,” said Cobra,“ Do you know the cost of these shells?”

Pthom shivered, “I'm getting cold,” he said.
“Here,” said Gina, “Have my pocket sized smibble handwarmer.”
“Thanks,” said Pthom rubbing his hands on the smibble. There was a small pop and a thin wispy cartoon figure carrying a baseball bat and an instruction manual appeared,
“What are you?” asked Pthom.
“I'm the genie and you have two wishes,” said the genie.
“I thought it was three,” said Pthom.
“Hey. I'm in charge here. Don't argue with a geniocracy. It's two wishes. Now what do you want? And hurry it up, I was in the middle of something,” the genie said over the top of the instruction manual.
“I'd like these ticks removed from me and the parrot please,”
“Done. And the other one?” said the genie, pointing the baseball bat at the parrot like a pistol and pretending to shoot “Pow!”
“Ah, no. I think appropriate moderation is called for. I'll leave it thanks.”
“Suit yourself,” said the genie and there was another pop as it disappeared.
“Phew, Polly tick free at last,” said Pthom.
“I'll vote for that,” said Ali, pouring a round of tea for everyone.

Last edited:

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
You're suggesting she buys him a fishing rod???

:e2fish:
Sure, let's go with that.

2Z3S

Status
Not open for further replies.