XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sitting here thinking about characters, and what motivates them. What do you think of a character who keeps going into dangerous situations, not because he's on some great mission (to save family, to avenge a wrong, blah blah), but because he's addicted to the rush? He can't NOT go, it's like crack to him?

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What do you think of a character who keeps going into dangerous situations, not because he's on some great mission (to save family, to avenge a wrong, blah blah), but because he's addicted to the rush? He can't NOT go, it's like crack to him?

I think it would be a fantastic spin on the heroic MC. TON's of plot, characterization, and tension options.

Plus, action!

*waits at bookstore for Junely's masterpiece*

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sitting here thinking about characters, and what motivates them. What do you think of a character who keeps going into dangerous situations, not because he's on some great mission (to save family, to avenge a wrong, blah blah), but because he's addicted to the rush? He can't NOT go, it's like crack to him?

I think it would be a fantastic spin on the heroic MC. TON's of plot, characterization, and tension options.

Plus, action!

*waits at bookstore for Junely's masterpiece*

What he said. :)

Oohh, I'm going to be Grumpy Mommy Bear today I can feel it. Little K hasn't even been up an hour and I've already made him cry. 3 hours of sleep after a very active day just doesn't cut it.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was a thread in OP complete with pic :)

Said horse is the war horse* I was riding last year. He's a brat but he's fun. Plus, who doesn't want a war horse*?

*apparently I can't say the d-word around here anymore. And I don't mean dire.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was a thread in OP complete with pic :)

Said horse is the war horse* I was riding last year. He's a brat but he's fun. Plus, who doesn't want a war horse*?

*apparently I can't say the d-word around here anymore. And I don't mean dire.

Draft?

Why not?

Also: link? Surely you don't expect I'm just going to go looking for that on my own, do you?

:D

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
I spent last week at a conference for work. Very long, exhausting days. Now I'm back in the office and it's like returning from a vacation -- so much to do. Not fair. I want a real vacation.

On the upside, I did get to read on the flights there and back. I'm really adoring Cassie Alexander's NIGHTSHIFTED. If you're looking for a rec. :)

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
We have to multi-quote it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

WHOO HOO!!!!

:hooray:

YAY!! Congrats!!! :partyguy:

Hai. I has hyperactive brain and little sleep since midnight. Urgh.

But congrats Gina!

Thank you all! :D

And sorry about the insomnia, Fen. My brain likes to do that too.

Congrats to Gina for THE END.

After struggling away at my SFF challenge idea for a few days I was flipping through teh notebook and came across another idea I kind of had a few weeks back and it all clicked in my head and I wrote out three pages straight away. So I think the toybox can wait and I'll do the other idea instead. I think that's a hurrah? Looks around for show of hands

:mob

Are they for or against do you think?

Coffee, shopping, errands. Oh, honestly, how am I supposed to write when I'm busy living?

ION, we managed to order our new bathroom sink yesterday. This means I have to fix the wall before it arrives though. Groan.

I think that's a hurrah. :)

And why is it that one improvement project spawns others?

*yawn and sigh*

Now I remember why I don't talk about my writing with my family. They're kind of discouraging without meaning to be.

And why is it that when I'm with my family I feel like a 15 year old again?

*sigh yawn*

Can I go back to bed now?

:Hug2: They mean well, I'm sure. But I've found that only people who understand art understand art. (more from captain obvious)

YAY! :partyguy: Have fun today - you earned it. :)

Today begins the week of meetings at work. We use the agile development process and it's a planning week. Sooo... not so much on the fun.

You know, Gina, when I first read this, I was like, "Oh, thanks, Captain Obvious, I knew that already!" :( But then I smacked my ego down, and and it was like, "DUH, you moron, she's right!"

You're absolutely right. And it's something that I need to hear said from time to time. so thanks!

I actually have spent the last few months scouring Amazon and Smashwords and B&N, trying to find a very specific type of story series, without luck. DUH! If I can't find it, I might as well try writing it, right? So I'm locking all my current projects in a box for a few days, see if I can't cook up something that I want to read.

Wish me luck!

Good luck! I'm glad my Captain Obvious moment helped.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Captain Obvious is the commanding officer of my day-to-day operations.

My XO is Captain Morgan.

Awesome!

I now have this desire to get a "Captain Morgan is my co-pilot" bumper sticker. Except that I'd probably get pulled over by the cops every 1/4 mile.

And I never drink and drive, anyway.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

So like an extreme sportsman, only with saving the world stuff?

Sounds fine. :D

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Ok, so now that I've finished the PNR...

Should I dive into edits on it, or let it sit for a bit and start edits on the high fantasy I finished last year that's been marinating in the fridge?

I'm inclined to start in on the PNR edits, since I'm pretty sure I can sell that soon-ish. The high fantasy will be a "query for agent" book. But there's a part of me that says to let the PNR sit for a week or so...

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score

Should I dive into edits on it, or let it sit for a bit and start edits on the high fantasy I finished last year that's been marinating in the fridge?

I'm inclined to start in on the PNR edits, since I'm pretty sure I can sell that soon-ish. The high fantasy will be a "query for agent" book. But there's a part of me that says to let the PNR sit for a week or so...

I say let the PNR sit. Your edits will be better for it. :)

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net

I'm with the others. Let it sit for a week. I'm always eager to jump into edits, too, but they'll be better if you give yourself a bit of space from the project.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, all! I'm in a good mood today, despite my lack of sleep and that I managed to get both contacts into the wrong eyes before noticing. *sigh*

The new WIP was pestering me with ideas last night, and my brain doesn't seem to understand that anything I write at 2am is likely to be total crap. It's all, "Look at me!" The jerk.

But I get to work on the new WIP a bit today, write up an interview, and beta read some chapters of a very fun project. Life is good. :D

*Seconds the Hurrah, moves to add "!"*

I think it takes me just as long to write a blog post as it does to rough-draft an entire chapter.

Me too. I'm sooo slow at blog posts for some reason. :(

1.5 weeks and I should be a horse owner. Weeeeeee.

Woot! Congrats!

I spent last week at a conference for work. Very long, exhausting days. Now I'm back in the office and it's like returning from a vacation -- so much to do. Not fair. I want a real vacation.

On the upside, I did get to read on the flights there and back. I'm really adoring Cassie Alexander's NIGHTSHIFTED. If you're looking for a rec. :)

*adds book to endless TBR pile*

I've found that by the time I get to the end of a book, I usually know most of the bigger stuff I need to fix (I make a lot of notes as I go). So I'll usually dive in right away and fix those things. Then I'll do a read-through and polish so it's not horrible to read. Then I let it sit for a while before I go back and read it through on my kindle.

That is, when I'm not right on a deadline. Sometimes (okay usually) that's the copy my OMGFANTASTIC betas get. And luckily, they haven't stabbed me for sending them drivel (yet). But I think that sitting time is good, I just usually do that after the second draft--that way all the stuff I know I have to fix isn't bothering me while I let it sit.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've found that by the time I get to the end of a book, I usually know most of the bigger stuff I need to fix (I make a lot of notes as I go). So I'll usually dive in right away and fix those things. Then I'll do a read-through and polish so it's not horrible to read. Then I let it sit for a while before I go back and read it through on my kindle.

So where do the colors come in?

Status
Not open for further replies.