XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all! Oddly enough, I was watching Serenity during breakfast. o_O

Everyone is watching Firefly/Serenity :)

Also, Buffy Season 8 comic is rereleased in 20 days. Good bye almost 50 bucks.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
That's more expensive than the DVD season box-sets!

Okay, discounting the (very short, and obviously cheap) first season, but still...

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
The collections - I'm cribbing as many lessons as I can from the writing and art. The ones where the heavier action sequences come into play are amazing, though the earlier ones are a bit too simple for my tastes - whenever the panels break, or there are strange compositions, I find that I see more in the material.

The entire Spirou Magazine set?

O.
M.
G.

I'm assuming in the original french, yes?

My dad has a bunch of those although he was more of a Tintin fan. Spirou had some great characters, though. I have a pic of Yoko Tsuno ready to be used as an avie. ;) There are also Gaston Lagaffe stories and jokes that are family favorites to this day. And you gotta love Peyo's stuff, as well.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The entire Spirou Magazine set?

Not all have arrived. They were on sale cheap as they had been bound in (ugly) binders, but I can live with that - the thick Titans trade paperback collections were covered in a horrible plastic (and falling apart, to my dismay) so I'm used to it.

I'm assuming in the original french, yes?

Yes. Hence brushing up on my French. There are a few Italian comics in the boxes as well, and I have been having trouble with some of them.

I was actually looking for the dwarf detective I remembered reading years ago, but I can't remember where the hell that was published. It's not in any of the titles I thought it was in, so I started bulk buying in the hopes that I would run across it sooner or later.

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid dwarf detective does not ring a bell...

Do you know the Pilote magazine? I bet you would enjoy those as well.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
*groan* There's a giant stack of them, which I admit to having merely skimmed. I tried my best, but I can't seem to get into them. There are bits and pieces I know through reprints, so it is amusing to see what differences have been made (not just in terms of story, but omitted panels, altered artwork and names). Still isn't doing much for me. I'll get in trouble with Abby when she sees the extent of what I have - I have to restrain myself when I see things I know I don't need but want. There's a bookshop here selling second-hand TokyoPop collections for 50p apiece, but I'm going to run out of places to stash all the comics at this rate.

Must... Resist...

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I was never able to get into Pilote either, but my brother was a big fan of the ones my dad owns. I've always preferred the Tintins, of which he owns basically the entire collection.

There is some interesting stuff from those, though. I particularly enjoy Philémon and who doesn't love Adèle Blanc-Sec? :)

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Um... I only have Adèle Blanc-Sec in Greek. I don't read Greek. It was piled in with the "Noyky Noyk" (???) reprints of Lucky Luke, and I really, really wanted them because they were so shiny. *hides*

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I can read like... Every third word of Portuguese. Well, maybe more like every fifth word since it's been forever since I touched a non-fictional language.

That won't help you read the comics, though.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Y'know, all the Americans are probably thinking "what the hell is the difference between one edition and another" - there is a vast difference between even the similar Belgian and French material (French comics tend, on the whole, to be on better paper, with brighter colors), or the Italian comics (lots more photographs than you get even in British comics circa the mid-eighties). Plus there are the hardback collections out of Italy, which have THE BEST Disney reprints anywhere, ever. No contest. The German material I've found is mostly the odd reprint of French or US material, but they have these awesome interviews and reviews through them, though I'm not sure some of those are entirely original. Those handful of Greek comic albums? Beautiful, beautiful cover finish - you can tilt the comic and see the light refracting off whatever process was used to finish them. They almost have a three-dimensionality because of that, and I spent a long time thinking how awesome that was.

The only thing which has eluded me completely (and I have gone to everyone I know who might have them) are the proper old-school fumetti from the forties and fifties. Those seem to be rarer than Golden Age comics, which I have gone off somewhat (I'm still on the line whether I'll sell the Batman comics or not, as I never read them). There's one comic in particular which is meant to have a photo-strip with a bunch of actors from Italian cinema before they were big names in film, but getting anyone to let me have issues seems to be asking just a little too much. The reason I love Euro comics (well... with the exception of TV Comic, which is going to give me an aneurysm one of these days) is the variety - I never really know how large the comics are until I have them in my hands. With US comics I know exactly what I'm going to get, so my level of interest fades almost as soon as I have finished reading the issue.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
:roll: I have said, a few times now, that I'm going to index the hell out of comics. People should expect insane levels of research. :D

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
You create a massive website about comics, from all over the world, and you'll be known for ever.

"BigWords, creator of Comicpedia." ;)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's more expensive than the DVD season box-sets!

Okay, discounting the (very short, and obviously cheap) first season, but still...

I knowww. It was only supposed to set me back 23 bucks but there's A SECOND BOOK. Damn splitting of comics. *shakes fist*

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I need to go pull my comics out of their hidy-hole. I've been jonesing to re-read The Adventures of Luther Arkwright... which no one has ever heard of, anyway.

I haven't been reading comics at all lately. I don't even know what's good anymore. Moved away from the good comics store, and my interest dwindled. :(

*I* should hand in my geek girl card!

Status
Not open for further replies.