XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
But that's like the entire film.

There's one shot, in particular, where her bottom lip looks like it will hit the floor and bounce back up to slap her - Zoe was really, really worried about her being unhappy. She didn't care that there was acid-spraying aliens, only that 'the boy' looked unhappy. And people wonder why I have such a hard time reading her emotions...

I honestly don't see what's wrong with showing kids scary stuff when you can easily get hold of fairy tales that are far scarier and that have no age guidance on them at all because they are 'classics'. If it's a choice between Hans Christian Andersen or Hollywood for scary, Mr Andersen wins by a very large margin in my head *shudders*

There's one particular book - The Alley Cat's Meow, which has beautiful painted artwork - which she was a little bit scared at looking through. Yes. Anthropomorphic cats are terrifying, but aliens are fine...

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I swear I read somewhere that there are usually two bouts of nightmares in childhood at particular ages but for the life of me I can't remember where. Linked to physical or psychological development or both, I don't know. So even when kids do have nightmares generally they aren't caused by the scary thing we think they're caused by.

On a lighter note, in my mid-teens I was living with my father, his girlfriend at the time, her 9 y/o daughter, and her son my age. My room was next to the adults'. One morning after complaining the previous day that my dad "snores like a lawnmower", the GF takes me aside and tells me to censor my apparently gory, twisted, morbid mind better. I asked her what she meant and she tells me the daughter had a nightmare that sent her screaming into their room last night, and the son immediately goes, "Was it about a zombie lawnmower?"

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
*stomps into the cantina and throws herself down on a smibble pile*

It's not right! it's not fair!

I've been book binging the last few weeks, right? i just read three books in a row that had no business getting past a beta reader, much less a publishing house's acquisitions process. Just the typos and misspellings alone would have sent a decent editor sprinting for the rejection slips! Then there were the stupid fact-checking errors (tigers are from ASIA, not AFRICA, you moron!), the lack of characterization, the pathetic dialogue, and the great clanking deus ex machina endings!

Grrr!

ETA: two days of my life, and twelve dollars of my money that I'm never getting back, damn it!

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I have just read a financial headline about a company going into administration, and I quote "Clinton Cards to fold"

Groan.

Copy Editors live for the ability to make those kinds of headlines, I'm told (by a former newspaper copy editor).

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's one shot, in particular, where her bottom lip looks like it will hit the floor and bounce back up to slap her - Zoe was really, really worried about her being unhappy.

She was so mis-cast in that movie, it was the scariest thing about the film.

(Which I can otherwise enjoy for what it is - a B-grade film that happens to be in the Alien franchise. It's got Ron Perlman in it, and that, for me, makes it ok. Not great, mind you, but ok.)

:D

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
*stomps into the cantina and throws herself down on a smibble pile*

It's not right! it's not fair!

I've been book binging the last few weeks, right? i just read three books in a row that had no business getting past a beta reader, much less a publishing house's acquisitions process. Just the typos and misspellings alone would have sent a decent editor sprinting for the rejection slips! Then there were the stupid fact-checking errors (tigers are from ASIA, not AFRICA, you moron!), the lack of characterization, the pathetic dialogue, and the great clanking deus ex machina endings!

Grrr!

ETA: two days of my life, and twelve dollars of my money that I'm never getting back, damn it!

*pats* Yeah, I hate when that happens.

*hands you a stack of good books instead*

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Edgar Rice Burroughs?

i could almost forgive Burroughs (ALMOST). But fifteen seconds to pull up "bengal tiger" on Wikipedia was too much to ask? This jerk is supposed to be a professional!

i swear to heaven, there is an evil Junely living inside my head who wants to go, page by page, through one of these books and rewrite it properly, get the characterizations in, fix the typos and fact-checking, trim the dross, redo the ending.

These books had good ideas, so much potential. All wasted. And more offensive, these three books took up space on a publisher's roster that could have been filled by GOOD books!

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Copy Editors live for the ability to make those kinds of headlines, I'm told (by a former newspaper copy editor).

My favourite ever is a sports headline from a soccer match where Inverness Caledonian Thistle beat Glasgow Celtic in a suprise win.

Super Cali go ballistic - Celtic are atrocious

You can look it up, it's famous.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Good Morning all.

Sun isn't shining, but I have a kitty who's walking around, purring, and nearing her normal self. I know cat lovers recognize the sign of a happy cat: Tail in air, birght eyes at their human.

She had power behind the meow this morning too.

Thank you to all who offered hugs and support.
Lucky is improving. If she continues to improve, no more ouchies. If not, she's to go talk to her doc again next Monday.

So glad Lucky is feeling better. I have two kitties, so I know the happy cat look well.

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
i just read three books in a row that had no business getting past a beta reader, much less a publishing house's acquisitions process. Just the typos and misspellings alone would have sent a decent editor sprinting for the rejection slips! Then there were the stupid fact-checking errors (tigers are from ASIA, not AFRICA, you moron!), the lack of characterization, the pathetic dialogue, and the great clanking deus ex machina endings!

Grrr!

*takes notes: "Do not have typos, misspellings, African tigers, lack of characterization, pathetic dialogue, and great clanking deus ex machina endings if we want Junely to read our book"*

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
*takes notes: "Do not have typos, misspellings, African tigers, lack of characterization, pathetic dialogue, and great clanking deus ex machina endings if we want Junely to read our book"*

Don't make me flip my skirt at Jericho, Ace!

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And more offensive, these three books took up space on a publisher's roster that could have been filled by GOOD books!

Perhaps, but the publishing business has always been this way, back to the dawn of the publishing era. This far removed from Poe or Fitzgerald's contemporaries, we tend to be less aware that there were lots of other books also published at the time. Which did not survive the test of time because they sucked (which is not to say they didn't *sell*.)

I don't really think a truly good book ever went unpublished because publishers chose to publish crap, instead. Any particular publisher may not have recognized the book for what it was at the time (a line in Wolf springs to mind), but it will eventually find a home.

If it's good.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

In other words, don't let Junely read my books...

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Ace is locked in the toilet. Can't you hear him banging on the door?

I, Doctor Jericho, have taken over his AW account for the moment.

I also have no pants.

And a large mug of coffee.

Jericho! *makes googly eyes at the un-panted man*

Perhaps, but the publishing business has always been this way, back to the dawn of the publishing era. This far removed from Poe or Fitzgerald's contemporaries, we tend to be less aware that there were lots of other books also published at the time. Which did not survive the test of time because they sucked (which is not to say they didn't *sell*.)

I don't really think a truly good book ever went unpublished because publishers chose to publish crap, instead. Any particular publisher may not have recognized the book for what it was at the time (a line in Wolf springs to mind), but it will eventually find a home.

If it's good.

Granted. But look at a publisher's resources: he can only put out so many titles in a given year. If Publisher A can only put out twelve titles a year, for instance, then don't you want those titles to be worth the paper it's printed on?

I'll read your work anytime, Cobra. I wuuuuuv you!

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score

AWers (in general) hold books to a slightly higher standard than some other readers. There may be people reading those thinking "wow, that was amazingly researched, and well worth the money." You may groan at that realization, but someone, somewhere, must have thought they were brilliant.

And now I'm more nervous about the epic, interconnected SF saga than ever. *hides MS from Cantina*

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
don't you want those titles to be worth the paper it's printed on?

They still print books?

:tongue

And while yes, I would, to some extent publishers are up against the same dilemma lawyers are. No one like all the ambulance chasers with the frivolous lawsuits (which, I hastily add, is not a lob at all lawyers, or even all personal injury lawyers - many, if not most, do good work). But as a lawyer once explained it to me, those frivolous lawsuits often come about because as a lawyer, when a client walks in, even if you know it's unlikely to win, you also know that if you don't take the client, someone else will.

Which means someone else gets the money that you could be getting instead, if you just agree to take the client on. And you know that, somewhere out there, some lawyer, less ethical than you are, and perhaps less skilled, will take them on if you don't. In which case, it's also in the potential client's interests.

So you take the client, because very few lawyers can afford to turn down the potential business.

I only ever worked in academic publishing, but even there, it was often a lot like that. And with everything being as it is, I suspect many publishers, especially smaller presses, are faced with the same dilemma. "If we don't publish it, someone else will."

You could argue they need to hire better editors, but there are problems there, too.

:)

If anything, I say fault the author.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
So you take the client, because very few lawyers can afford to turn down the potential business.

I only ever worked in academic publishing, but even there, it was often a lot like that. And with everything being as it is, I suspect many publishers, especially smaller presses, are faced with the same dilemma. "If we don't publish it, someone else will."

You could argue they need to hire better editors, but there are problems there, too.

:)

If anything, I say fault the author.

You're right, of course. I'm just disgusted by the whole thing. I DO fault the author. i would be ashamed to send out a "finished" work as unfinished as that.

I just think of all the good stories out there, better than these, who could use a good home. What about the work of all our AW compatriots. Surely one of our guys could have taken this dude's slot.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I've been book binging the last few weeks, right? i just read three books in a row that had no business getting past a beta reader, much less a publishing house's acquisitions process.

I take this as a sign of encouragement. If something that bad can go to print, then surely I stand a shot, right?

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
AWers (in general) hold books to a slightly higher standard than some other readers. There may be people reading those thinking "wow, that was amazingly researched, and well worth the money." You may groan at that realization, but someone, somewhere, must have thought they were brilliant.

This thought depresses me.

And now I'm more nervous about the epic, interconnected SF saga than ever. *hides MS from Cantina*

Hand over the manuscript, big guy. Don't make me get out the giant mutated Caledonian Kilt-Eating Moths, dude.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Hand over the manuscript, big guy. Don't make me get out the giant mutated Caledonian Kilt-Eating Moths, dude.

It needs a LOT of TLC. I wrote it sans internet, so all of the references need fixed, and the science is - in parts - highly dubious. And, y'know, there's a million or so words, so - editing. Lots and lots and lots of editing. (I did a quick count, and there are about fifty different stories set in the same timeline)

Status
Not open for further replies.