Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Morning!

I have so much to do today... bring on the vat of coffee and the squirrels!

This morning the birds woke me up in the pre-dawn with their singing. I'm not sure why today was *the* day to sing loudly, but man, it was like a rock concert out there. Only in tweeps and chirps.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Good morning! The blurriness is starting to fade, I think, so that leaves me hopeful that I can return to work tomorrow.

My mommy picked me up and fixed me breakfast. She's the best.

Huzzah for fab mommies!

And I'm glad your vision is returning. Huzzah for healing!

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, all. :)

I seem to have posted an interview with our very own Tifferbugz on teh blog.

That may be the entirety of my productivity for the day. :e2faint:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings cantinas :Sun:

Today is a bank holiday in the UK, for May Day which was last week but hey, let's not let trifles such as using the proper date get in the way of a holiday, so I'm expecting traditional weather of rain any time soon. Everyone else seems to have declared it national mow your lawn day. I heard nothing but mowers and strimmers all morning.

On the subject of birds. Saturday we were walking past a hedge when I spotted a bird kind of hanging on the side like it was getting in. My first thought was 'sparrow', except then it turned to face us and I realised it was a sparrowhawk, after a few seconds it flew off with a sparrow in it's talons, to a garden across the road. Who needs tv with real-life drama?

Youtube or it didnt happen. I mean, thats awesome and crazy :)

I one had a small raptor use my mare and I as cover to come in low, then sweep up and snatch at some birds by a tree. If he didnt catch one he was damn close. Smart bird.

Good morning! The blurriness is starting to fade, I think, so that leaves me hopeful that I can return to work tomorrow.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all

TJ hope that eye is better soon.

One spring a redtail hawk had his fill of many birds from my bird feeder. On occasion I was curse because I interrupted his/her hunting. lol But very interesting to see them stalk flying prey. They have to be very quick.

Flash piece written and submitted
Necklaces finished and photgraphed.
House mostly cleaned

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I one had a small raptor use my mare and I as cover to come in low, then sweep up and snatch at some birds by a tree. If he didnt catch one he was damn close. Smart bird.

I read this and heard "Clever girl...." in my head.

Velociraptor_6001.jpg

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
You know Cobra, I'm not entirely sure Fen meant that kind of raptor. Also, I don't really see Disney doing raptors either, too much of the baaaddd vibe for them.

We have the rainz, just after the :Sun: so everyone (except me) will have been thinking 'ooo, our outdoor eating (or burnt offering) is safe', just in time to lull everyone into a false sense of security. Kind of funny really.

I didn't buy any chocolate this morning on my shopping trip. This may have been a mistake.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning Friends!

So, it's been a busy kind of morning for me. I strained a muscle in my neck the other day so I've been in pain. I've been up since 1:30am with Baby Kricket, so I'm tired. I was supposed to take Baby K to a doctor appointment today but because of my neck I decided to take some percocet and sleep for a couple hours while Mr. K took Baby to doctor. Oh, and Little K was up at 5am, but thankfully he just went down nice and quietly for a nap. And, it's raining out.

In summary, my brain feels really weird right now. Sleepy/loopy. I'm going to stay up until Mr & Baby K come home and I'm kind of hoping Baby got shots that make him sleepy so that I can hopefully get a couple more hours of sleep.

ION, I have a massive amount of cleaning to do this week because I have my in-laws staying over this weekend. I'm not overly excited about this. All my in-laws are coming (except one sis-in-law who is in CA right now). My parent in-laws will be staying at my little apartment while all the siblings stay at my sister's house. She offered to have them there (which is way odd for her) and she claims she wants to see "these crazy ass people in action". She's strange like that.

...*reads post* Wow, sorry, this is long. Glad the eye is getting better TJ! And I hope y'all have a nice Monday!

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch, TJ. Good luck!

I'd love to see a raptor of either kind, lol. Just crows and robins here.

I'm godawfully energetic this morning. Cleaned, cooked, finished an audiobook and it looks like I'll still have extra writing time when I get off the forums. Still no bug bites. I think I'm safe, but I'm too paranoid to say I'm sure just yet.

I don't know how much weight it has, but a few years ago I heard a clown phobia explanation which - at the time - made some degree of sense for me. Back in the thirties and forties, when big tents were coated in paraffin (or whatever highly flammable materials they had to hand... because - actually for waterproofing, but malicious, cackling clowns slopping paraffin around is so much more amusing) there was a real danger of death by being burned alive or being trampled to death, or even crushed by the falling big top.

The any-moment-we-might-die feeling traveling circuses inspired in people, coupled with the rise of the character The Joker (1940, which ties into several horrendous fires) mingled in the public's mind to create the notion that clown were terrifying. By the time IT came along, the phenomenon, and the language of horror surrounding the childrens' entertainers had been concreted. John Wayne Gacy was somehow tapping into this when he chose to become a clown, and the whole thing became an unbreakable cycle.

Between the Hartford circus fire and pop culture images of homicidal clowns, it is no wonder that the last century has seen such a drop in people dressing in bright colors and laughing madly for entertainment purposes.

This is fascinating! Thanks a craptonne for taking the time to post it!

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, all!

Glad the blurriness is going away!

Morning, all. :)

I seem to have posted an interview with our very own Tifferbugz on teh blog.

That may be the entirety of my productivity for the day. :e2faint:

Thanks! :D

Monday's aren't good for productivity. :(

Good Morning Friends!

Hope your neck feels better. :Hug2:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
So i laid down for a nap a couple hours ago (Ive had food poisoning, don't judge me!), and i had the most bizarre dream. in the dream, i was having a conversation with a friend about this terrific book. We talked about the book's plot, the characters, we even delved into the symbolism and deeper themes of the story. it was a heavy Capital-L Literature conversation, really in depth and interesting.

Problem? I woke up and realized I've never heard of the book. EVER.

Anybody ever heard of a book about a man who's trying to get back to his wife and children after a worldwide disaster (unspecified), and ends up in a shelter with a rather batty woman, a pair of gay men, and two children? they take him in, they have various interactions and much plot happens, but he never actually leaves at the end, deciding to stay where he's at instead of going on any further? The themes are basically 'found family'?

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Fen, going back to the "raptor" thing, what kind was it? I tried G00gling "raptor bird" and came up with a bunch of generic stock images for things like Ospreys, Eagles, etc.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I landed on Free Parking at work.

Or rather, I was one of the 24 people to get one of the free parking spots that came with our office space for a full year.

Since I lease a spot at a lot near by and can now cancel that, it's gonna save me about a grand.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score

NICE!

Hi everyone.

:e2arms:

'Allo!

So I had to take this long work survey about my emotional state, self-actualization and...other stuff. Focus and depression or something. Anyway, the verdict is that I'm warm for a robot. And I need to recycle more.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score

Or rather, I was one of the 24 people to get one of the free parking spots that came with our office space for a full year.

Since I lease a spot at a lot near by and can now cancel that, it's gonna save me about a grand.

Awesome :)

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
So i laid down for a nap a couple hours ago (Ive had food poisoning, don't judge me!), and i had the most bizarre dream.

Are you feeling better?

Anybody ever heard of a book about a man who's trying to get back to his wife and children after a worldwide disaster (unspecified), and ends up in a shelter with a rather batty woman, a pair of gay men, and two children? they take him in, they have various interactions and much plot happens, but he never actually leaves at the end, deciding to stay where he's at instead of going on any further? The themes are basically 'found family'?

Nope, but it sounds like something which I would really want to read.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Insane life is insane, sorry for another driveby post. Sorry the eye isn't getting better faster, TJ. :(

So yesterday I was off hauling a load of stuff to my storage unit when a critter ran across the road in front of me. It was about twice the length of a housecat, was shaped like a cat and moved like a cat, fairly svelte, with a vy short, medium brown coat, and what looked like dark spots on the ears. If it had a tail, it was either very short, missing, or on the other side of its body. Don't think it could have been a juvenile mountain lion, b/c the tail didn't match, and it wasn't as thick-bodied as the pics I'm finding online of lynx, and it also didn't have any kind of spots or lighter patches I could make out. Definitely wasn't a dog/coyote/etc. Ideas, O North American wildlife gurus?

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so this is a somewhat random question directed at my fellow moms here in the forum. But anyone can give their opinion, I value all your opinions. :)

I've been thinking about doing a somewhat angry/ranty blog post about how hard and sometimes sucky it is being a mom. It sounds bad, I know, but I feel like everyone tells you that it will be hard, that you'll be tired, etc, but no one is really honest about it. Especially when it comes to newborns.

So, I'm wondering if it would be in bad taste to put this on my blog. I'm not afraid of people disagreeing with me exactly, I just don't want to offend people or start a fight or anything. I just need to vent, and I feel the need for a more public forum than my poor husband. Call it my way of dealing with some baby blues I guess.

So thoughts? Good idea or bad?

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes you need to say things - don't think about the backlash before you have begun or you will find yourself censoring what you want to get off your chest. if it is important to you, you should do it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.