Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

It is so ordered. AW Moderator zanzjan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Actually, on the topic of classic super hero stuff, I do have to say that Kingdom Come, illustrated by Alex Ross and written by Mark Waid, was a nice touchstone on what heroes are and were to people. That's one super hero title in recent times I felt was time well spent as a reader.
    I'm not familiar with that title. Sadly, I have entirely fallen out of the comics world, though I'm never unhappy about recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
    you will end up wandering around in front of your audience with the words 'Press CTRL+ALT+DEL' occasionally appearing across your forehead.

I'm fairly certain I've seen faculty blue-screen mid-class, but not quite that visibly so.
    zanzjan.net - twitter - facebook
    2015: Tuesdays, Asimov's, March (read here!)
    2015 Sturgeon Memorial Award 2nd Place Finalist for Shatterdown (Asimov's, June 2014)

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." --Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post
    I'm not familiar with that title. Sadly, I have entirely fallen out of the comics world, though I'm never unhappy about recommendations.
    Kingdom Come was, in many ways, a "slippery slope" title - people started using the imagery and stylistic tics in that series without understanding why they were so effective. Much the same deal as with the crap which attempted to cash in on the "mature" storytelling of Watchmen (ignoring storytelling basics and using sex and violence being, ironically, the least mature kind of comic imaginable). You have to read it, if only to understand where so much of what was to come was gaining inspiration from, and notice the influences in it.
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.
    Don't hold your breath...

Quote Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
    Dude, I am not that flexible.
    The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

practical experience, FTW Fenika's Avatar
    Speaking of SYW, would anyone be interested in a summer prompts challenge? I'd like at least 5 folks to commit before starting a thread.

For those who dont know, we would offer a bunch of one to two word prompts, and a special challenge as well. The list would be reduced to about 4/month. Participants would then write stories using one or more prompts, +/- the special challenge in about 1-2k words. Participants would crit each other, and get feedback from other SYW folks.

Example 1- http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212614

2- http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176070 (smibble apoxyclips in this one )

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

practical experience, FTW Shoeless's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jallenecs View Post
    I've often compared being a writer to being an alcoholic. There are times when I just wish I could put the pen down and do something else. This is one of those times. It's too hard, it too damaging to the ego and the confidence. Please God, let me just walk away. But I can't.
    Some sage advice from Neil Gaiman, which I'm using to nurse my own wounds since I'm recovering from how much work my query needs.

1. Write.
    2. Put one word after another. Find the right word, put it down.
    3. Finish what you’re writing. Whatever you have to do to finish it, finish it.
    4. Put it aside. Read it pretending you’ve never read it before. Show it to friends whose opinion you respect and who like the kind of thing that this is.
    5. Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.
    6. Fix it. Remember that, sooner or later, before it ever reaches perfection, you will have to let it go and move on and start to write the next thing. Perfection is like chasing the horizon. Keep moving.
    7. Laugh at your own jokes.
    8. The main rule of writing is that if you do it with enough assurance and confidence, you’re allowed to do whatever you like. (That may be a rule for life as well as for writing. But it’s definitely true for writing.) So write your story as it needs to be written. Write it honestly, and tell it as best you can. I’m not sure that there are any other rules. Not ones that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenika View Post
    I'd like at least 5 folks to commit before starting a thread.
    *raises hand* I'm in. I can go round up others as well if you want.
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.

The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
    *raises hand* I'm in. I can go round up others as well if you want.
    If you like. I'm being lazy and figuring if I get five from the chat thread, I'll certainly get others.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Wordswift Penmonkey Contrarian
    Speaking of SYW, would anyone be interested in a summer prompts challenge? I'd like at least 5 folks to commit before starting a thread.
    Raises hand. Yes please.

It is so ordered. AW Moderator zanzjan's Avatar
    Participants would then write stories using one or more prompts, +/- the special challenge in about 1-2k words.
    Hahaha! I can't *sneeze* in less than 2k.

It might be a good challenge, that way. I can't commit until I know what's going on with my house situation, though. Which, since I've brought it up, requires me to leave at least one : here. I'm actually drinking coffee, that's how stressed this is making me.
    zanzjan.net - twitter - facebook
    2015: Tuesdays, Asimov's, March (read here!)
    2015 Sturgeon Memorial Award 2nd Place Finalist for Shatterdown (Asimov's, June 2014)

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." --Will Rogers

Look at length as a suggestion, not a hard and fast rule - nobody is going to get overly upset if you run a thousand words long.

I want to be Comic Sans. CobraMisfit's Avatar

For those who dont know, we would offer a bunch of one to two word prompts, and a special challenge as well. The list would be reduced to about 4/month. Participants would then write stories using one or more prompts, +/- the special challenge in about 1-2k words. Participants would crit each other, and get feedback from other SYW folks.

2- http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176070 (smibble apoxyclips in this one )

I'm game. Sounds like fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
    I adore how our Cobra unapologetically loves odd stuff

"On a scale of one to pyramid, it's definitely pyramid." - TotalBiscuit

Books | Website | Chirps | Goodreads

CM's Motivational Alert Code Color Chart

I like the idea but for some reason when I click on your links it wants a password.
    Kricket's Korner A Cozy Place To Write
    Updated: Whenever the hell I want

WIPs
    SF Novel: Moon Dragons First Draft COMPLTETED 90,832 words, Resting
    Urban Fantasy Novel: White Crow 22,000 words

I havent been logged out of Syw in too long. Serenity? Citrus? Bob? Someone help. Vista? I think its Vista.

And hugs Zanzjan.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

I havent been logged out of Syw in too long. Serenity? Citrus? Bob? Someone help. Vista? I think its Vista.

And hugs Zanzjan.
    It is vista, you are correct.

Hugs to Zanz.

gotta rush, hot choc to make, oh and Shoeless, I got your message, but I am still running about doing stuff so I'll answer it in the next couple of hours, honest. Stop nursing those wounds though, you're good. Just remember that!

...it's anything but. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    I miss you guys during the day now.
    But hey. Job, with work and stuff.

And Zan!
    Stories n' Stuff:
    Close Quarter and Slow Waltz (M/M paranormal romance)
    Missing Persons (fantasy short) in Trust and Treachery
    Takeover (M/M contemporary romance)
    CTRL Me in Rules to Live By (M/M contemporary romance)

COMING June 16th: Just Business (M/M contemporary romance)

I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!

Ok Fen count me in! I so need something like this to jump start my writing.
    Kricket's Korner A Cozy Place To Write
    Updated: Whenever the hell I want

WIPs
    SF Novel: Moon Dragons First Draft COMPLTETED 90,832 words, Resting
    Urban Fantasy Novel: White Crow 22,000 words

Yay, lots of sign ups

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

I love the idea of the prompts... but I'm still sitting on the March Horror prompt. Least I think it was March. Maybe it was February. Whichever the zombie history one was.

And my summer is likely shot until August, more or less.

But I shall cheer.

There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.

Answer the Question of the Week.* New questions found on the last page of the thread.

*May or may not actually be updated once a week.

FleasTwits

Just a regular Fairy Princess bettielee's Avatar
    Sorry, Fen, I got too much work to do. I mean, too much of books to edit.

I think I may have finally found where I belong. Gothic romance - heavier on the gothic than the romance. I mean, the romance is totally there, but the gothic part and the story around the main mc is more important. It's my favorite thing to read... it might be my favorite thing to write. I just hope all my research and use of historical reference is correct. I like being able to inject teh horror, teh fantasy, and teh carriages... That, or this editing going so well is just a huge sign of how lost I am in my own crap.

Therefore, Zan, I am so with you. (even tho I feel pretty awesome right now, a crash is just around the corner)

also, house smells like onion. Hope I didn't put too much onion in the crocket... er... C.R.O.C.K.P.O.T.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

Twitter

except

Off to read now, catch you on the flip side, cantina.

banana is always an appropriate answer...

Twitter

Searching for Wonderland jallenecs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bettielee View Post
    Sorry, Fen, I got too much work to do. I mean, too much of books to edit.

I think I may have finally found where I belong. Gothic romance - heavier on the gothic than the romance. I mean, the romance is totally there, but the gothic part and the story around the main mc is more important. It's my favorite thing to read... it might be my favorite thing to write. I just hope all my research and use of historical reference is correct. I like being able to inject teh horror, teh fantasy, and teh carriages... That, or this editing going so well is just a huge sign of how lost I am in my own crap.
    Are you looking for a beta reader? I'm sure you would LOVE to have a sympathetic beta, who has a secret penchant for such things. And, if you can't find anybody else, I SUPPOSE..... If you really wanted .... I could find it in my heart to volunteer.... If you need one.

Oh, quit dancing, Junely. SEND ME THE MS and I won't be forced to hunt you down and tackle you for it!

Blackburn Gaslight Adventures - my steampunk internet audio drama

Fortuna - my Space Pirates! audio drama

This is my pen name on Facebook. And this is my pen name on Twitter.

Blog Post for 06/05/15: Fun Friday: Even More Web Series

Junely... you haz a rep.

Twitter

Searching for Wonderland jallenecs's Avatar
    Junely... you haz a rep.

I do haz a rep, but I'm trying to rise above it

received and answered, Oh Great and Powerful Fairy Queen.
    Blackburn Gaslight Adventures - my steampunk internet audio drama

Fortuna - my Space Pirates! audio drama

This is my pen name on Facebook. And this is my pen name on Twitter.

Blog Post for 06/05/15: Fun Friday: Even More Web Series

I want to be Comic Sans. CobraMisfit's Avatar
    banana is always an appropriate answer...
    Kuh.

Wote.

Buuked.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
    I adore how our Cobra unapologetically loves odd stuff

"On a scale of one to pyramid, it's definitely pyramid." - TotalBiscuit

Books | Website | Chirps | Goodreads

CM's Motivational Alert Code Color Chart

Back from the land of the dead. Debio's Avatar
    Okay, I have a question. I'm a bit afraid to ask it. They* might be watching.

This may be a cultural thing, or it just may be my personal experience.

I realized the other night that I hadn't hit my funny bone in years, I hadn't seen anyone do it in years either. When was the last time you did it, or saw someone do it?

I seem to remember it happening fairly frequently when I was younger. I'm hoping that either my ability to notice things like this has deteriorated or I have just forgotten. I worry however that the universe has changed in some fundamental way...this is leading to story idea.

*I will at some point describe who they are, but I fear them.

**I could not find a smiley that would appropriately convey fake paranoia. I think I got the rambling stream of consciousness done okay, but without a smiley I think I'll get recommendations for meds.

Page 527 of 1050 FirstFirst ... 272774274524775025175215225235245255265275285295305315325335375525776026277771027 ... LastLast