Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

practical experience, FTW Shoeless's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
    I suppose it is my own fault for having read all the best stuff first...
    I admit to have fallen by the wayside on reading traditional superhero comics. Most of the American comics I read now are by people like Neil Gaiman, Allan Moore and Mike Carey, although, all of them being British, you could argue that I'm not reading American comics anyway.

However, there's a lot of excellent non-superhero stuff being put out by American publishers. Fables, The Walking Dead, and whackier stuff like Scott Pilgrim are all very unusual, readable and unsuper-heroish.

The Walking Dead and Scott Pilgrim are both minor masterpieces, but the overwhelming sense of the US market I get is one of fear - there hasn't for example, been anything as ambitious as Cerebus (however badly that ended up), nor as groundbreaking as Maus or Palestine in ages. The same titles keep getting regurgitated with slightly different flavors, and the entire market is shrinking as people wonder why there aren't more readers...

On a related note, I really detest the shiny paper which sticks to my fingers, and leaves unsightly marks on the page. I tend to stick to golden age or silver age comics when I go on spending binges to avoid buying something which is destroyed in the process of enjoying it.
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.
    Don't hold your breath...

Quote Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
    Dude, I am not that flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
    The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

I'm actually toying with the idea of trying to make a digital migration in comics. I've got... well, not an ungodly, but a hell of a lot of graphic novel compilations taking up a lot of shelf space, and a move out of our apartment and into our first home is driving home the point of just how much space those precious comics take up once you start looking for boxes to pack them in.

Also, for the record, since I'm Canadian, both Cerebus and Scott Pilgrim are products of Canucks, not Americans.

LOL. The rest of the world does not make the Canadian/American distinction. (my bad, seeing as I should be more exacting in such matters). There's great filing cabinets from the late eighties which fit about a thousand GN's in them, and I have five in my shed. Packing those up is going to be a nightmare...

I love the idea of digital comics, but I've only seen about a dozen which I would consider keeping in that format. Too often people go by the comic page dimensions and ignore the screen dimensions (and scrolling up and down the screen to read a conversation is a deal breaker, IMO).
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.

The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

when near, manifests as far AW Moderator zanzjan's Avatar
    The rest of the world does not make the Canadian/American distinction.
    Think of it like the England/Scotland distinction, except historically instead of us constantly slaughtering Canadians, we just subject them to our television.
    zanzjan.net - twitter - facebook
    2015: Tuesdays, Asimov's, March (read here!)
    2015 Sturgeon Award Finalist for Shatterdown (Asimov's, June 2014)

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." --Will Rogers

Yes. US Media...

*runs away from thread as fast as possible*

Quote Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post
    Think of it like the England/Scotland distinction, except historically instead of us constantly slaughtering Canadians, we just subject them to our television.
    We gave you Bryan Adams and Nickelback. I think that clears any debts.

Just a regular Fairy Princess bettielee's Avatar
    Yes. US Media...

you bastard.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

Twitter

Doing Pirate things... Tifferbugz's Avatar
    The Walking Dead and Scott Pilgrim are both minor masterpieces, but the overwhelming sense of the US market I get is one of fear - there hasn't for example, been anything as ambitious as Cerebus (however badly that ended up), nor as groundbreaking as Maus or Palestine in ages. The same titles keep getting regurgitated with slightly different flavors, and the entire market is shrinking as people wonder why there aren't more readers...
    Wait. You're saying they keep reissuing old crap for our consumption? No way. No how.*

*These statements totally don't count recent remakes of: Fright Night, 21 Jump Street, Total Recall, Dirty Dancing, Footloose, Freaking Three Stooges, etc. Screw it, here's A-M (probably not all US).

Yes. US Media...

In all fairness, South Park isn't exactly the standard to which all US media is held. That's The Simpsons. TYVM.

Website & Blog
    Twitter
    My Books

Quote Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
    Wait. You're saying they keep reissuing old crap for our consumption? No way. No how.
    Um... Crap. Okay. In a nutshell - yeah.

To elucidate - nothing which has appeared in mainstream (read: superhero) comics in the last decade has advanced the language of the form significantly, and in fact some of the titles I have read seem to be debasing the form. There are exceptions, but few and far between.

It isn't a criticism limited to comics. Is there a game show which has pushed the boundaries of the format in recent years? No. We get the same thing handed to us with shinier sets, more infantile presenters (a fetus is going to be presenting something soon at this rate), and dumber questions.

The problem here isn't with the publishers and broadcasters, it is entirely with the audience - we should refuse to accept second-hand entertainment, and demand higher standards. If everyone stopped buying things out of habit and looked for quality (and there are great works out there if you look hard enough) then the entire market improves.

Habits kill inventiveness. Originality suffers. We get yet another rehash of something which wasn't blisteringly brilliant the first time.

Yeah...I was actually agreeing with you. My bad if that didn't come across.

Also, so much awesomeness (not sure I'm sharing this right).

Website & Blog
    Twitter
    My Books

Y'know, I write stuff like this and for the next week have to fend off e-mails from people whining that I'm being mean and insulting their "favoritest thing EVER"...

Y'know, I write stuff like this and for the next week have to fend off e-mails from people whining that I'm being mean and insulting their "favoritest thing EVER"...
    It's impossible that mixing Star Wars and Office Space could be anything but awesome. (Not 100% sure that's what you were even talking about, btw.)

Website & Blog
    Twitter
    My Books

Superhero Superwriter Wordswift
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
    In all fairness, South Park isn't exactly the standard to which all US media is held. That's The Simpsons. TYVM.
    So true.

Also, I was reading the 'news' yesterday. It said that someone called Jessica Simpson had had a baby. I'm going 'Bart, Lisa, who was she?' It's not just the media. I think American life is judged by the Simpsons now.

And in the USA / Canada debate. I know the difference, but that's because at school we were taught that we used to own it.

Good morning cantinas

Er, first I believe.

Searching for Wonderland jallenecs's Avatar

As long as you wear the kilt while you're doing it, you can talk ugly about anything you like.
    Blackburn Gaslight Adventures - my steampunk internet audio drama

Fortuna - my Space Pirates! audio drama

This is my pen name on Facebook. And this is my pen name on Twitter.

Blog Post for 05/13/15: On Doing Things the Old Way: Letter Writing

I want to be Comic Sans. CobraMisfit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jallenecs View Post
    As long as you wear the kilt while you're doing it, you can talk ugly about anything you like.
    Yeah, that's going in The Quote Book.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
    I adore how our Cobra unapologetically loves odd stuff

"On a scale of one to pyramid, it's definitely pyramid." - TotalBiscuit

Books | Website | Chirps | Goodreads

CM's Motivational Alert Code Color Chart

Back from the land of the dead. Debio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tjwriter View Post
    I am home today from work since I'm supposed to be contagious. I hope I feel better soon. I'm not feeling as good as I thought I would this morning though.
    and I hope you feel better soon. Just pretend you are incubating the plague that will bring the end of the world and maybe you'll feel a bit better.

Just imagine meeting all those annoying people you don't like and coughing on them or shaking their hand.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMueller View Post
    I leave for less than a day and we get another new name?

So, it's my birthday and I'm not doing anything special today. Very busy work day with lots of meetings. Planning to go to my Krav Maga class tonight. Husband is working late, so I must fend for my own food. I swear, the older I get, the less exciting birthdays are.

Upside: Avengers this weekend.
    Happy B-Day, mine was a week ago. I forgot though, till my little one started singing happy birthday in the car on the way home. Apparently the teachers at Day-care remembered and told him.

So true.

Also, I was reading the 'news' yesterday. It said that someone called Jessica Simpson had had a baby. I'm going 'Bart, Lisa, who was she?' It's not just the media. I think American life is judged by the Simpsons now.

And in the USA / Canada debate. I know the difference, but that's because at school we were taught that we used to own it.

Good morning cantinas

Er, first I believe.
    Coffee should come first, I agree.

This may be embarrassing, I don't know, but....

Who is Jessica Simpson?

I've been here long enough without American TV that I have no idea who that is. I have heard the name before, but haven't felt a need to do an intensive google project.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    We gave you Bryan Adams and Nickelback. I think that clears any debts.
    Yes, but we owe you still for Shatner.

However you want to interpret that debt.

There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.

Answer the Question of the Week.* New questions found on the last page of the thread.

*May or may not actually be updated once a week.

Fleas Twits

Also, I bring bananas. (Low-quality bananas, but still awesome.)

I am sharing with everyone.

Last edited by slcboston; 05-02-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: better bananas
    There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.

Answer the Question of the Week.* New questions found on the last page of the thread.

*May or may not actually be updated once a week.

Fleas Twits

Superhero Superwriter Wordswift
    Quote Originally Posted by Debio View Post
    This may be embarrassing, I don't know, but....

Who is Jessica Simpson?
    I went and looked in the end. She's no one important that you need worry about. And don't be embarassed. I had no idea who she was either which is why I originally thought that she was yellow with four digits on each hand and two-dimensional.

ION, I am darning socks.

Ooo, bananas

...it's anything but. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    *Drives by Cantina, peppering everyone with confetti from a tommy gun*

Helloooooooo!

*speeds off into the workday*
    Stories n' Stuff:
    Close Quarter and Slow Waltz (M/M paranormal romance)
    Missing Persons (fantasy short) in Trust and Treachery
    Takeover (M/M contemporary romance)
    CTRL Me in Rules to Live By (M/M contemporary romance)

COMING June 16th: Just Business (M/M contemporary romance)

I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!

Hey, was there glitter in that tommy gun? I'm far too sparkly for anything a Wednesday.
    Current Projects
    BREAKING PROTOCOL is with the agent (YA thriller)
    Drafting BORROWED PROMISES (Urban fantasy)

Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | Tumblr | @ChelseaVBC

Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: The First One's Free

practical experience, FTW Fenika's Avatar
    Confetti party!

I must finish watching the banana vid later.

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Good morning friends!

I'm feeling more normal today. Actually got the kitchen cleaned this morning and everything.

Oh and Mr Kricket is officially a Brony. Apparently when he's up late with the baby he's been watching My Little Pony. I tease him about it relentlessly.
    Kricket's Korner A Cozy Place To Write
    Updated: Whenever the hell I want

WIPs
    SF Novel: Moon Dragons First Draft COMPLTETED 90,832 words, Resting
    Urban Fantasy Novel: White Crow 22,000 words

morning all ... another day, another rejection. and now off to work. That's kinda of adding insult to injury don't you think?

Don't piss off the fairies

Page 525 of 1050 FirstFirst ... 252754254504755005155195205215225235245255265275285295305315355505756006257751025 ... LastLast