Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

 

 

 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

  1. #12526
    Secret Stick-Figure Superhero Andelana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cambridge, Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
    Thanks, and thanks

    Have I mentioned that my eyes glaze over with fear when I read "RSS"? But I think I got it figured out. The key was a browser based reader, so thank you!
    Welcomes! Glad you've got the rss sorted out, anyway! It's handy for knowing when new stuff appears.

  2. #12527
    Pasture-ized slcboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not Really Here
    Posts
    42,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
    Well, I did look at their Sub Guidelines and it said that they wanted Romance stuff, but someone suggested them to me for Fantasy. That's why I asked. I was confused.
    You know, you can almost always also contact the publisher directly and ask them.

    And most websites, like Wordpress, also have FAQ and other guidelines to help you figure that stuff out.
    There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.

    Answer the Question of the Week.* New questions found on the last page of the thread.

    *May or may not actually be updated once a week.

    Fleas Twits

  3. #12528
    Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood 10trackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    not here, I swear
    Posts
    5,451
    Quote Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
    I'm not quite that stupid. Nor remotely that brave.



    But that's what I got when I combined him with you.



    See, it was the 'mildly' that confused me there for a moment
    Twitter
    Blog

    New Blog Post: Interview with Regan Summers
    Older Blog Post: Inside the WIP Machine

    Projects:
    The Saga of EvilPants: querying
    CrazyPants: Finished at 110K, revising
    Love Shack: 21/90K
    CombatPants: 5/90K

    Cobra Ultraviolent Badge Of Honor:
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post
    To the characters in your stories, you're a big death-ray of sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post

    10s

  4. #12529
    Pasture-ized slcboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not Really Here
    Posts
    42,547
    Quote Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
    See, it was the 'mildly' that confused me there for a moment
    I would have said "wildly" but, you know, it's you, and these things are relative.


    For you, it's "mildly."

    There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.

    Answer the Question of the Week.* New questions found on the last page of the thread.

    *May or may not actually be updated once a week.

    Fleas Twits

  5. #12530
    Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood 10trackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    not here, I swear
    Posts
    5,451
    Quote Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
    I would have said "wildly" but, you know, it's you, and these things are relative.


    For you, it's "mildly."


    Pfft. For you, too
    Twitter
    Blog

    New Blog Post: Interview with Regan Summers
    Older Blog Post: Inside the WIP Machine

    Projects:
    The Saga of EvilPants: querying
    CrazyPants: Finished at 110K, revising
    Love Shack: 21/90K
    CombatPants: 5/90K

    Cobra Ultraviolent Badge Of Honor:
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post
    To the characters in your stories, you're a big death-ray of sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post

    10s

  6. #12531
    "We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat Silver-Midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Falling into her own Wonderland
    Posts
    4,910
    Quote Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
    You know, you can almost always also contact the publisher directly and ask them.

    And most websites, like Wordpress, also have FAQ and other guidelines to help you figure that stuff out.
    Yeah. That's true. I could. But I don't know. I was just trying to get an idea of who I could sub to when I was ready.


    Well, they do have password protection for some posts, but I was kind of looking for a "age-thing" like BlogSpot has. Granted, all you have to do is know the password in order or click "view" in order to get through, but I would hate to get in trouble for content.

  7. #12532
    Pasture-ized slcboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not Really Here
    Posts
    42,547
    Quote Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
    Pfft. For you, too
    I have never, ever claimed otherwise.



    Unlike some others who seem to think they can fool us all into believing they're innocent and some such.

    There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.

    Answer the Question of the Week.* New questions found on the last page of the thread.

    *May or may not actually be updated once a week.

    Fleas Twits

  8. #12533
    Doing Pirate things... Tifferbugz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    ...on my pirate ship.
    Posts
    5,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
    Thanks. That's what I thought. Is Entangled the same way?
    Entangled requires the romance angle too. They do various genres (like fantasy), but as far as I know you do need a strong romantic element in your story for them to consider it. If your story is mainly fantasy, but again has that strong romantic subplot, you can sub it there. The amount of romance varies quite a bit in their titles. Does your story have a romantic subplot?

    For epubs, the one that comes to mind which requires no romantic elements is Carina.

    Edit: I think that Crescent Moon also takes pure SF&F. But I'll say I don't know as much about them.
    Last edited by Tifferbugz; 04-23-2012 at 02:25 AM.
    ___________________________
    New Release: Don't Blackmail the Vampire

    Website & Blog
    Twitter
    My Books



  9. #12534
    "We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat Silver-Midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Falling into her own Wonderland
    Posts
    4,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
    Entangled requires the romance angle too. They do various genres (like fantasy), but as far as I know you do need a strong romantic element in your story for them to consider it. If your story is mainly fantasy, but again has that strong romantic subplot, you can sub it there. The amount of romance varies quite a bit in their titles. Does your story have a romantic subplot?

    For epubs, the one that comes to mind which requires no romantic elements is Carina.
    Most of them have a romantic sub-plot but the strength of the sub-plot would varies.

    Right now, truthfully, I'm just looking at different publishers. I really don't feel ready to publish, but I just wanted to have some people in mind. Things to think on and what not.
    However, to answer your question, it really depends. Sometimes the romantic sub-plot is strong and sometimes it isn't.

    I've heard of Carina, and someone told me that too.

  10. #12535
    Doing Pirate things... Tifferbugz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    ...on my pirate ship.
    Posts
    5,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
    Most of them have a romantic sub-plot but the strength of the sub-plot would varies.

    Right now, truthfully, I'm just looking at different publishers. I really don't feel ready to publish, but I just wanted to have some people in mind. Things to think on and what not.
    However, to answer your question, it really depends. Sometimes the romantic sub-plot is strong and sometimes it isn't.

    I've heard of Carina, and someone told me that too.
    Carina is one of the best out there, if you can get your foot in the door. Of course, I think the same about Entangled, but I'm not exactly 100% objective there.

    Keep in mind that you can go through different pubs for different titles, too. Also, are you going novel-length? If so, might want to check the agent route first. Just a suggestion.
    ___________________________
    New Release: Don't Blackmail the Vampire

    Website & Blog
    Twitter
    My Books



  11. #12536
    Doing Pirate things... Tifferbugz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    ...on my pirate ship.
    Posts
    5,256
    Must find more coffee. Need words.
    ___________________________
    New Release: Don't Blackmail the Vampire

    Website & Blog
    Twitter
    My Books



  12. #12537
    ...it's anything but. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    12,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
    Well, I did look at their Sub Guidelines and it said that they wanted Romance stuff, but someone suggested them to me for Fantasy. That's why I asked. I was confused.
    Entangled doesn't take non-romantic fantasy--it has to either be a fantasy romance or a fantasy with romantic elements (a strong romantic subplot). It pretty much says that in the submission guidelines.

    So yes, they do take fantasy, but only where it intersects with romance. Same with science fiction, mystery, history, etc. They're looking for romance or strong romantic elements. Happy every after, and all.

    In general, it's worth looking through a publisher's categories and reading several of the books when you're trying to figure out whether your work will fit there or not.

    ETA: Scooped by Tifferbugz! Dire!
    Stories n' Stuff:
    Close Quarter and Slow Waltz (M/M paranormal romance)
    Missing Persons (fantasy short) in Trust and Treachery
    Takeover (M/M contemporary romance)
    CTRL Me in Rules to Live By (M/M contemporary romance)

    COMING June 16th: Just Business (M/M contemporary romance)

    I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!

  13. #12538
    I want to be Comic Sans. CobraMisfit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,214
    Quote Originally Posted by hillaryjacques View Post

    I find this person distasteful. Mondo dire.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
    I adore how our Cobra unapologetically loves odd stuff


    "On a scale of one to pyramid, it's definitely pyramid." - TotalBiscuit

    Books | Website | Chirps | Goodreads

    CM's Motivational Alert Code Color Chart


  14. #12539
    ...it's anything but. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    12,765
    In other news... I think getting my laptop from work in case I had to work from home worked! The winter storm watch has been downgraded to a winter weather advisory.
    Stories n' Stuff:
    Close Quarter and Slow Waltz (M/M paranormal romance)
    Missing Persons (fantasy short) in Trust and Treachery
    Takeover (M/M contemporary romance)
    CTRL Me in Rules to Live By (M/M contemporary romance)

    COMING June 16th: Just Business (M/M contemporary romance)

    I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!

  15. #12540
    It is so ordered. AW Moderator zanzjan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    6,680
    Quote Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
    I just submitted a flash fiction piece to an online magazine
    Yay! Good luck to both story and you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
    Yeah. That's true. I could. But I don't know. I was just trying to get an idea of who I could sub to when I was ready.
    Are you familiar with duotrope?
    zanzjan.net - twitter - facebook
    2015: Tuesdays, Asimov's, March (read here!)
    2015 Sturgeon Memorial Award 2nd Place Finalist for Shatterdown (Asimov's, June 2014)

    "Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." --Will Rogers

  16. #12541
    ...it's anything but. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    12,765
    And Fen: A little late, but yes. Dumb him clearly. Clingy guys are scary.

    I had (for a very short time) a boyfriend in college that started showing up outside my classes when he knew I had a bit of free time. And then he'd stay with me until I had class. Lather, rinse, repeat. And at night, he'd come and study with me. Or go wherever I was going in the evenings.

    Basically, if I had free time, he thought I should be with him. Luckily, I was living in a Catholic special interest house, so I could, in fact, kick him out at night. And did.

    I felt like I had a freaking stalker. I dumped him pretty much by telling him that he was freaking me with his stalker behavior and that I needed alone time for me. And, you know, to hang out with other people that weren't him.
    Stories n' Stuff:
    Close Quarter and Slow Waltz (M/M paranormal romance)
    Missing Persons (fantasy short) in Trust and Treachery
    Takeover (M/M contemporary romance)
    CTRL Me in Rules to Live By (M/M contemporary romance)

    COMING June 16th: Just Business (M/M contemporary romance)

    I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!

  17. #12542
    Part-time ninja CAMueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,625
    Quote Originally Posted by amergina View Post
    In other news... I think getting my laptop from work in case I had to work from home worked! The winter storm watch has been downgraded to a winter weather advisory.
    You tricked the weather by being prepared! Sneaky, Amergina. Sneaky.

    Also, boo winter weather.
    Current Projects
    BORROWED PROMISES is with the agent (Urban fantasy)

    Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | Tumblr | @ChelseaVBC


    Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: The First One's Free

  18. #12543
    practical experience, FTW Shoeless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
    Must find more coffee. Need words.
    Coffee=Words?

    This. THIS is what I have been doing wrong all these years.

  19. #12544
    "We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat Silver-Midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Falling into her own Wonderland
    Posts
    4,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
    Carina is one of the best out there, if you can get your foot in the door. Of course, I think the same about Entangled, but I'm not exactly 100% objective there.

    Keep in mind that you can go through different pubs for different titles, too. Also, are you going novel-length? If so, might want to check the agent route first. Just a suggestion.
    Thanks for the info.

  20. #12545
    "We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat Silver-Midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Falling into her own Wonderland
    Posts
    4,910
    Quote Originally Posted by amergina View Post

    In general, it's worth looking through a publisher's categories and reading several of the books when you're trying to figure out whether your work will fit there or not.
    That was definitely suggested to me too.

  21. #12546
    Doing Pirate things... Tifferbugz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    ...on my pirate ship.
    Posts
    5,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Coffee=Words?

    This. THIS is what I have been doing wrong all these years.
    For me, it certainly does. Also, tea.
    ___________________________
    New Release: Don't Blackmail the Vampire

    Website & Blog
    Twitter
    My Books



  22. #12547
    practical experience, FTW Shoeless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post
    Yay! Good luck to both story and you!
    Thumbs up to the Emma Peel avatar.

    I have now officially dated both of us.

  23. #12548
    Pasture-ized slcboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not Really Here
    Posts
    42,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Thumbs up to the Emma Peel avatar.

    I have now officially dated both of us.
    Pfft. I knew who she was, and I am nowhere near old enough to have seen the Avengers in their original run.



    *rowr* anyway, though, Zan.
    There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.

    Answer the Question of the Week.* New questions found on the last page of the thread.

    *May or may not actually be updated once a week.

    Fleas Twits

  24. #12549
    It is so ordered. AW Moderator zanzjan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    6,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I have now officially dated both of us.
    Wait... we've dated? Damn that memory loss...
    zanzjan.net - twitter - facebook
    2015: Tuesdays, Asimov's, March (read here!)
    2015 Sturgeon Memorial Award 2nd Place Finalist for Shatterdown (Asimov's, June 2014)

    "Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." --Will Rogers

  25. #12550
    Part-time ninja CAMueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,625
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Coffee=Words?

    This. THIS is what I have been doing wrong all these years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
    For me, it certainly does. Also, tea.
    Caffeine doesn't make words happen for me. Just makes me more likely to jump over to the internet. Whee! Look it's a video of a baby penguin being adorable!

    I'm the weird one at the writers' table who doesn't drink coffee or booze to get the creative juices going.
    Current Projects
    BORROWED PROMISES is with the agent (Urban fantasy)

    Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | Tumblr | @ChelseaVBC


    Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: The First One's Free

Page 502 of 1050 FirstFirst ... 22524024274524774924964974984995005015025035045055065075085125275525776027521002 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search