XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Debio- the table was stainless steel, but the issue was more the festering, ill-preserved corpse upon said table. Not so great for bouncing.

Okay, yeah, for proper bouncing, fresh corpses are best. Not so fresh ones go *splat* at just the wrong time.

I can't stop watching this.

I've been meaning to ask, you don't have to answer, there is the 5th amendment and all, but...

If you look really close at your avi, the tentacle silhouette appears to be holding what looks like a woman. AKA 1950s monster movies. If that is the case, comparing the size of the woman and the rest of the silhouette, that is one big monster.

I'm just asking so I can decide how terrified I should be.
you are not the only one
Papa debio is, too. But he tries very hard not to let little debio know that. It would be cool if the little one grew up without that particular trait.

If they sprouted brains, I'd be more impressed.

Well, if they sprouted brains, they probably wouldn't be a@@holes. That would be impressive. Unless of course they sprout brains like potatoes sprout eyes. That would be impressive as well, but in an entirely different way.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
And, after enduring about 4.65001222222 hours this week of multiple coworkers standing outside my cubicle gabbing sourly about how I have short-timers syndrome - while I work inside of said cubicle - I officially lost it. They have crawled, whimpering, away, and I don't expect this will be a problem next week. :Jump:

Good for you, bunch of asses anyway. :Hug2:

Nope, whole town has no cable. Will have to investigate satellite internet, I guess, though I hear it's pricey.

Or I could just go without internet. After all, after moving all ~6000 books I own, maybe I'll start feeling motivated to read more.

Are you moving in next door to my brother? :Wha: He has the same issues with high speed internet and cell service. I think that he pays $50-60 a month for satellite Internet, but it might be a little pricey to setup. I think they have equipment charges.

I survived on dial up for awhile last year.

*shudders at the thought*

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
sounds like you're moving to the 1950's..... ??

It might be interesting to note, that cell phones have only been around for a very short time.

It is amazing how certain technologies can be adopted so quickly and so deeply into society. If you stop to think, no-cell phone, no broadband, you only have to go back to the early 90s.

I'm not picking at your quote Bettielee, I promise. I just think it is fascinating that the cellphone has become so endemic in our lives that we act as though it were always this way. Even we older folks who can remember TVs with dials, two of them, one for UHF and one for VHF. AM radio that was actually used for music and not bloviating blowhard bigoted baboons.

Making short witty remarks, whether they fail or not is no problem. But can anyone teach me how to post semi-serious stuff like the above without going into tl;dr mode? I really have a problem with this.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
I've been meaning to ask, you don't have to answer, there is the 5th amendment and all, but...

If you look really close at your avi, the tentacle silhouette appears to be holding what looks like a woman. AKA 1950s monster movies. If that is the case, comparing the size of the woman and the rest of the silhouette, that is one big monster.

I'm just asking so I can decide how terrified I should be.

The monster is huge.

However, he only attacks if one doesn't meet a daily word count.

You may determine your terror level based on butt-in-chair time. :D

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
The monster is huge.

However, he only attacks if one doesn't meet a daily word count.

You may determine your terror level based on butt-in-chair time. :D

Oh, crap.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
It might be interesting to note, that cell phones have only been around for a very short time.

It is amazing how certain technologies can be adopted so quickly and so deeply into society. If you stop to think, no-cell phone, no broadband, you only have to go back to the early 90s.

I'm not picking at your quote Bettielee, I promise. I just think it is fascinating that the cellphone has become so endemic in our lives that we act as though it were always this way. Even we older folks who can remember TVs with dials, two of them, one for UHF and one for VHF. AM radio that was actually used for music and not bloviating blowhard bigoted baboons.

Making short witty remarks, whether they fail or not is no problem. But can anyone teach me how to post semi-serious stuff like the above without going into tl;dr mode? I really have a problem with this.

as I said in my rep to him, in which we discussed whether or not hyperbolistic should be a word or not (I used it, he agreed it should be a word) I was actually thinking of not having cable tv... I know we had it in 1978 or so??? Well, we had HBO. Anybody remember the really old days? They had nudie girls on there - like the old vestiges of Vaudville, or they called it Vaudeville. I remember catching my brother watching.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
as I said in my rep to him, in which we discussed whether or not hyperbolistic should be a word or not (I used it, he agreed it should be a word) I was actually thinking of not having cable tv... I know we had it in 1978 or so??? Well, we had HBO. Anybody remember the really old days? They had nudie girls on there - like the old vestiges of Vaudville, or they called it Vaudeville. I remember catching my brother watching.

I was thirteen when we got cable and HBO for the first time. The first thing I did when the little HBO guide came each month was to go through every movie looking at the tags for "adult situations" or "nudity"(focus on the nudity).

Why do you think the kid who doesn't like scary movies watched Alien for the first time? Sigourney Weaver in panties, of course.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I was actually thinking of not having cable tv... I know we had it in 1978 or so??? Well, we had HBO. Anybody remember the really old days? They had nudie girls on there - like the old vestiges of Vaudville, or they called it Vaudeville. I remember catching my brother watching.

I've actually been without any kind of broadcast television for over 10 years. My TV has been primarily for home theater DVD/Blu-Ray viewing, and video games. And most recently, streaming services like Netflix and others, which pretty much make traditional cable TV seem pretty redundant.

I've never been the "Gotta' watch/read it NOW" type, so I've usually waited until critically well received television shows get compiled onto disc, or the hottest new comic goes into trade paperback. But I know not everyone would be able to sit out Battlestar Galactica the way I did.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score

I remember all of that. We only had three TV channels in the UK until 1982 when Channel 4 started. We had a black and white TV until approx 1974 (I saw Princess Anne's wedding in November 1973 in colour, but that was at a friend's house). I had a b/w portable TV with me at University.

Most of Radio 1 was on medium wave in the 1980s, except for John Peel's show at 10pm which was FM - and did the reception suffer during the evening.

Bought my first computer in 1990, when I left home - an Amstrad PCW. I wasn't online at home until 1997, though was at work from the year before.

I didn't get a mobile phone until 2002 - okay, I was later than most people there.

About the only domestic technology I was an early adopter of was DVD - I bought my first player in 1999. I'm not Blu-ray enabled yet.

One thing I've notice from comments other people's children have made is that not only are things like the above totally alien to the average child, but the concept of watching something *live* on TV is becoming hard to grasp. E.g. one friend's child who didn't understand why her Mum couldn't just record the Royal Wedding last year and watch it later.

Good morning Cantina. Breakfast at home before heading off to Eastercon Day Two.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
I remember all of that. We only had three TV channels in the UK until 1982 when Channel 4 started. We had a black and white TV until approx 1974 (I saw Princess Anne's wedding in November 1973 in colour, but that was at a friend's house). I had a b/w portable TV with me at University.

Most of Radio 1 was on medium wave in the 1980s, except for John Peel's show at 10pm which was FM - and did the reception suffer during the evening.

Bought my first computer in 1990, when I left home - an Amstrad PCW. I wasn't online at home until 1997, though was at work from the year before.

I didn't get a mobile phone until 2002 - okay, I was later than most people there.

Goodness, I remember most of this, although I was too small to remember Princess Anne's wedding. John Peel I remember though, fading in and out. Good times, good times. I still don't have a mobile phone.

Morning cantinas :Sun:

The sun is there mainly in hope this morning.

Big decision time: I have decided to enter a writing competition! Wow!

I admit it's primarily because it's free to enter, but I'm having a go. There's more information here if anyone's interested, it's monthly so I can keep writing and keep entering. Before you ask, it's not the same one as I wrote about in another thread, although it is put together by the same people.

Right, I need breakfast and :Coffee: and did anyone get the orcball back from yesterdays game or are we still running across a field to a magic door?

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
eye - I remember only 3 channels here in America! Well, one of those was PBS - the public broadcasting system. Even when we got cable, our tv was one of those enormous cabinet jobs, and you had to change the channel by turning a knob.

I've actually been without any kind of broadcast television for over 10 years. My TV has been primarily for home theater DVD/Blu-Ray viewing, and video games. And most recently, streaming services like Netflix and others, which pretty much make traditional cable TV seem pretty redundant.

I've never been the "Gotta' watch/read it NOW" type, so I've usually waited until critically well received television shows get compiled onto disc, or the hottest new comic goes into trade paperback. But I know not everyone would be able to sit out Battlestar Galactica the way I did.

When I go to the new apartment, I will be broadcast tv-less. I wonder how I will handle the Oscars... that's the only thing I will miss terribly. The rest of my shows that I Love I can watch on the internet, if I want to. I intend to edit/write and read more. TV is too much of a distraction. And I will have Netflix. :)

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Big decision time: I have decided to enter a writing competition! Wow!

I admit it's primarily because it's free to enter, but I'm having a go. There's more information here if anyone's interested, it's monthly so I can keep writing and keep entering. Before you ask, it's not the same one as I wrote about in another thread, although it is put together by the same people.

Right, I need breakfast and :Coffee: and did anyone get the orcball back from yesterdays game or are we still running across a field to a magic door?

whoo hoo! congrats on your decision! and it is very late at night here.

And I am craving nachos and diet coke.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning folks. I am also cable free. No netflix- I dont have time.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning Friends!

I slept in until 6:30! W00T!

And I have a baby shower today. :) Yay for free stuff!

As for technologies, I have never in my life paid for cable TV. I think it's stupid. I had it in college only because A) the dorms just had it and B) my room mate brought a TV with her. I spent way too much time being depressed and watching super stupid shows.

And even now I don't watch much TV. Just Dr. Phil, Bones and Castle. But I do live off of Netflix. So I would die without wireless internet.

And I remember getting out first "cool" computer, a big Gateway PC. I thought the cow boxes were funny. I was in 4th or 5th grade at the time. We had an old black and green screen IBM before that. Oh, and I remember when I thought AOL *was* the internet.

Also, my parents never let us have any kind of game system, they're still using the same old flip phones they got 10 years ago and they have never written a text message in their lives. Ironically though, they did get a Wii from my Grandpop before he passed and they actually play it.

Aaaand, this just got really long.... :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I need to play my Wii more. Particularly since I've got some extra BMI on my lower half.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
When I go to the new apartment, I will be broadcast tv-less. I wonder how I will handle the Oscars... that's the only thing I will miss terribly. The rest of my shows that I Love I can watch on the internet, if I want to. I intend to edit/write and read more. TV is too much of a distraction. And I will have Netflix. :)

I think you'll be fine. Between Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and other video services like the ones both Sony and Microsoft offer on their respective consoles, there's not a whole lot you CAN'T watch via streaming anymore. It's really just a question of whether you can deal with the lower resolution for image quality, but even then, it's not as bad as watching a typical amateur YouTube video.

You might be surprised by how you DON'T miss broadcast TV, when you see how much of it is on the internet anyway.

Do you Wii box? It's one of my favorite workouts.

I actually like that EA Sports Active program. That makes you break a decent sweat.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In other news, I think I need ANOTHER 4x4 raised bed. Or maybe 3x6

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
One of our pear trees has come loose on it's roots after all these high winds. Looks like we may have to stake it.

ION, I am going solid state! After the computer managed to wipe two floppy discs earlier when I was transferring files from my WP.

:Hammer:

Himself is now building me a computer from spare parts. The OS will be on one flash drive and I can save my files on another. No hard disc, no moving parts to speak of. No more lost files and wasted discs. Looks like the WP might be down the charity shop next week - although to be fair that's where I picked it up from so it only seems reasonable to recycle it so they can get some more money.

ETA: Bettie I think you can get the Oscars on YouTube or something these days. *I think this keyboard wants to live in the West Indies. Every time I write 'something' it misses the 'h'.*

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
I started on the new WIP today. I have made little progress. 500 words. I keep skipping off for research. Then I blogged. Now researching new cars online. In other words, I should be using Write or Die to keep me focused.

Tomorrow morning, I will make myself get in my planned 2000 words. I will. Just you wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.