Read books by AWers!

 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

  1. #11226
    Penmonkey Contrarian aliwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK Cantina
    Posts
    8,413
    Excuse me for the interuption.



    I do feel it necessary to point that it's been announced that Jim Marshall has died.

    Heaven just got a whole lot louder.

    Thank you, carry on.
    Alice

    @lonelytentacle

    Upstairs for thinking, downstairs for dancing.

  2. #11227
    Penmonkey Contrarian aliwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK Cantina
    Posts
    8,413
    Quote Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
    We're measuring 10 now?

    Yeah, it goes all the way up to eleven.

    (I promise to stop there)
    Alice

    @lonelytentacle

    Upstairs for thinking, downstairs for dancing.

  3. #11228
    Pasture-ized slcboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not Really Here
    Posts
    46,869
    Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
    Yeah, it goes all the way up to eleven.

    (I promise to stop there)
    She. Not it.

    She.



    And she goes way beyond 11.

    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat. "Weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē

  4. #11229
    Penmonkey Contrarian aliwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK Cantina
    Posts
    8,413
    Quote Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
    And she goes way beyond 11.

    I'm not asking how you know that.
    Alice

    @lonelytentacle

    Upstairs for thinking, downstairs for dancing.

  5. #11230
    Back from the land of the dead. Debio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,509
    Quote Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
    She. Not it.

    She.



    And she goes way beyond 11.

    I'm too new, so I'm a bit iffy on the scaling and 10s place on it. Do you imply that she goes all the way to FOURTEEN?

    Wow, just wow.

  6. #11231
    Pasture-ized slcboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not Really Here
    Posts
    46,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Debio View Post
    I'm too new, so I'm a bit iffy on the scaling and 10s place on it. Do you imply that she goes all the way to FOURTEEN?

    Wow, just wow.
    Not at all. Rather, there is no scale.

    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat. "Weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē

  7. #11232
    Penmonkey Contrarian aliwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK Cantina
    Posts
    8,413
    Quote Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
    Not at all. Rather, there is no scale.

    Is that like 'there is no spoon'?
    Alice

    @lonelytentacle

    Upstairs for thinking, downstairs for dancing.

  8. #11233
    Not confused. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    14,279
    Yeah, they're coming to see me. They even say that they don't care, and they never criticize me on it. They also know I just started a new job, etc.

    I just hate having company when the house is a mess, you know?

    Mostly, I need to declutter and chuck a bunch of stuff. But that requires time, which I'm short of at the moment...
    Latest Release: Due Diligence
    Coming Dec 6, 2016: Daily Grind

    Website * Twitter * Tumblr

  9. #11234
    Part-time ninja CAMueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,664
    Quote Originally Posted by amergina View Post
    Yeah, they're coming to see me. They even say that they don't care, and they never criticize me on it. They also know I just started a new job, etc.

    I just hate having company when the house is a mess, you know?

    Mostly, I need to declutter and chuck a bunch of stuff. But that requires time, which I'm short of at the moment...
    Completely understand. It's awesome to have them come visit, but it'd be easier/better if prep work wasn't necessary.

  10. #11235
    Is there a problem? Etola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,847
    Quote Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
    And she goes way beyond 11.

    So...does that mean that 10 > 11?

    *mind is blown*

    Quote Originally Posted by amergina View Post
    Yeah, they're coming to see me. They even say that they don't care, and they never criticize me on it. They also know I just started a new job, etc.

    I just hate having company when the house is a mess, you know?

    Mostly, I need to declutter and chuck a bunch of stuff. But that requires time, which I'm short of at the moment...
    I hear you!
    We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.
    -T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

    Adventures of Mae Fortune Revising - 2/17 chapters done

    Salamander's Shadow
    1st draft: 85,126/100k

  11. #11236
    Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood 10trackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    not here, I swear
    Posts
    5,454
    Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post

    Didn't we invent a 1 to 10 scale for this recently?
    A 1 to 10 weird scale? I resent that.

    Quote Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post
    Is that the scale with one being "Meh" and our very own Tens being "The Most Epically Epic Thing of All Epicness"?

    Or a different scale?
    Leave it to Cobra to turn me into something awesome

    Quote Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
    We're measuring 10 now?

    Don't act like you don't want to, bro

    Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
    Yeah, it goes all the way up to eleven.

    (I promise to stop there)
    Eeeeeh Spinal Tap! *rewatches*

    Quote Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
    She. Not it.

    She.

    And she goes way beyond 11.

    That is the sweetest yet weirdest thing anyone has said to me today.

    Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
    I'm not asking how you know that.
    You're a wise one, young grasshopper.

    *mangles quotes*

    Quote Originally Posted by Debio View Post
    I'm too new, so I'm a bit iffy on the scaling and 10s place on it. Do you imply that she goes all the way to FOURTEEN?

    Wow, just wow.
    Why stop there?!

    Quote Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
    Not at all. Rather, there is no scale.

    I like that and all it implies about pizza and chocolate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Etola View Post
    So...does that mean that 10 > 11?

    *mind is blown*




    Remark of the day goes to: ETOLA!

    Sidenote, does anyone else have the urge to type Ebola?
    Twitter
    Blog

    New Blog Post: Interview with Regan Summers
    Older Blog Post: Inside the WIP Machine

    Projects:
    The Saga of EvilPants: querying
    CrazyPants: Finished at 110K, revising
    Love Shack: 21/90K
    CombatPants: 5/90K

    Cobra Ultraviolent Badge Of Honor:
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post
    To the characters in your stories, you're a big death-ray of sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post

    10s

  12. #11237
    Pasture-ized slcboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not Really Here
    Posts
    46,869
    Quote Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
    Don't act like you don't want to, bro
    When have I *ever* acted that way?

    Though, really, it wouldn't be with something as impersonal as a scale. Maybe hands. I hear hands are a unit of measurement.




    Quote Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
    Remark of the day goes to: ETOLA!

    Sidenote, does anyone else have the urge to type Ebola?
    I may, or may not, have spent several weeks thinking that was, in fact, her name.

    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat. "Weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē

  13. #11238
    Handsome servant of a redhead Gilroy Cullen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Deep in the State of Confusion
    Posts
    4,505
    Quote Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
    Sidenote, does anyone else have the urge to type Ebola?
    I've always misread it as Enola, like from the plane...
    Links: My Writing Blog | My Flickr Attempt | Personal Blog

    Braving SYW:
    Poetry Crit

    A writer's journey is like life - no two are entirely alike.

  14. #11239
    Is there a problem? Etola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,847
    Quote Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post






    Remark of the day goes to: ETOLA!
    WOOOOO!!!!

    What do I get?

    Quote Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
    Sidenote, does anyone else have the urge to type Ebola?
    Quote Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
    I may, or may not, have spent several weeks thinking that was, in fact, her name.


    We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.
    -T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

    Adventures of Mae Fortune Revising - 2/17 chapters done

    Salamander's Shadow
    1st draft: 85,126/100k

  15. #11240
    Is there a problem? Etola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy Cullen View Post
    I've always misread it as Enola, like from the plane...
    So I'm either a disease or carrying a nuclear payload. I think I liked it better when I was the Quiet Storm...

    Oddly enough, years ago I came across a family tree I made in grade school, which suggested that my great-great-grandmother's name was actually spelled Etolla. However, if that is a more accurate spelling or was just bad spelling on the part of my child-self, I have no idea, since I've never been able to find an English-Iroquois dictionary.

    ETA: Boston, didn't we chat a while back about this? I remember you being curious and offering to look into it, but I didn't know which of the Iroquois nations my ancestor was descended from.
    Last edited by Etola; 04-05-2012 at 09:01 PM.
    We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.
    -T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

    Adventures of Mae Fortune Revising - 2/17 chapters done

    Salamander's Shadow
    1st draft: 85,126/100k

  16. #11241
    Doing Pirate things... Tifferbugz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    ...on my pirate ship.
    Posts
    5,256
    Good morning!~

    I am super happy today. I discovered that even though Word was not saving last night before it crashed (despite my constant nervous hitting of cmd+s), and although it refused to open the autosave version automatically (thereby making me think it didn't have one), there was an autosave version out there that I just had to find. I only lost 15 minutes of work instead of an hour and twenty.

    And hopefully now the stupid thing is fixed.
    ___________________________
    New Release: Don't Blackmail the Vampire

    Website & Blog
    Twitter
    My Books



  17. #11242
    Pasture-ized slcboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not Really Here
    Posts
    46,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Etola View Post
    ETA: Boston, didn't we chat a while back about this? I remember you being curious and offering to look into it, but I didn't know which of the Iroquois nations my ancestor was descended from.
    Yes we did chat about that. And then this semester hit me, and a number of things I have wanted to do and offered to do in my free time have not happened, because free time has become something of an alien concept. I have not forgotten, though.




    But that was long after I had you confused with something else. And really, is it so bad being mistaken for something so violently lethal it could be an end-time plague? This makes you a harbinger of the end, after all.

    If nothing else, ought to offer a modicum of job security, being a harbinger.

    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat. "Weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē

  18. #11243
    Secret Stick-Figure Superhero Andelana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by Debio View Post
    I have a group of students going to England for home stays some time next year. What kinds of questions do you think they'll be asked. What do Brits want to know about Japan, Japanese culture.

    If you have had experience with Japanese kids in England, advice would be most appreciated. I have never been to England, so I thought I'd ask.
    They might get asked about manga and anime... It's still a big thing here. They might also get asked about some of the more outrageous Japanese fashions, especially if they're girls or in a house with daughters.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
    automatically (thereby making me think it didn't have one), there was an autosave version out there that I just had to find. I only lost 15 minutes of work instead of an hour and twenty.
    I'm really glad you've discovered that! It's saved the bacon of many a student I support that there are tmp files created that often don't get deleted if Word crashes.

    Evening, Cantinerites! Today I discovered that I definitely need a lighted mirror that I don't have to physically hold to get my (new) contact lenses in and out. I also discovered that a decent one is freakin' expensive. I made £40 today sorting out a friend's computer and laptop and satnav and handed it all over for a mirror. Ouch. Oh well, at least I had a nice time chatting with her and a good lunch at her local curry place.

  19. #11244
    I want to be Comic Sans. CobraMisfit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,887
    Quote Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
    Leave it to Cobra to turn me into something simply point out that I am awesome
    Fixed it for ya'.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
    I adore how our Cobra unapologetically loves odd stuff


    "On a scale of one to pyramid, it's definitely pyramid." - TotalBiscuit

    Books | Website | Chirps | Goodreads

    CM's Motivational Alert Code Color Chart


  20. #11245
    Doing Pirate things... Tifferbugz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    ...on my pirate ship.
    Posts
    5,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Andelana View Post
    I'm really glad you've discovered that! It's saved the bacon of many a student I support that there are tmp files created that often don't get deleted if Word crashes.

    Evening, Cantinerites! Today I discovered that I definitely need a lighted mirror that I don't have to physically hold to get my (new) contact lenses in and out. I also discovered that a decent one is freakin' expensive. I made £40 today sorting out a friend's computer and laptop and satnav and handed it all over for a mirror. Ouch. Oh well, at least I had a nice time chatting with her and a good lunch at her local curry place.
    Yeah the weird thing is that I save constantly, but apparently there's a bug that can occur where the apple software gets confused and doesn't actually save the document when it says it does. And last night I was too frustrated to figure out where the temporary files were on the Mac.

    Curry...sooo jealous.
    ___________________________
    New Release: Don't Blackmail the Vampire

    Website & Blog
    Twitter
    My Books



  21. #11246
    I want to be Comic Sans. CobraMisfit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
    Yeah the weird thing is that I save constantly, but apparently there's a bug that can occur where the apple software gets confused and doesn't actually save the document when it says it does. And last night I was too frustrated to figure out where the temporary files were on the Mac.
    This just terrified me into saving my file as well as uploading the current version to G00gle Docs AND Dr0pBox.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
    I adore how our Cobra unapologetically loves odd stuff


    "On a scale of one to pyramid, it's definitely pyramid." - TotalBiscuit

    Books | Website | Chirps | Goodreads

    CM's Motivational Alert Code Color Chart


  22. #11247
    Is there a problem? Etola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,847
    Quote Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
    Yes we did chat about that. And then this semester hit me, and a number of things I have wanted to do and offered to do in my free time have not happened, because free time has become something of an alien concept. I have not forgotten, though.




    But that was long after I had you confused with something else. And really, is it so bad being mistaken for something so violently lethal it could be an end-time plague? This makes you a harbinger of the end, after all.

    If nothing else, ought to offer a modicum of job security, being a harbinger.

    Well, I guess it's not so bad, being either a harbinger or a carrier of a significant payload. However, let it be noted here that I wish to be known as Etola, Harbinger of Happiness, and that my payload is a joy bomb of smiles.
    We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.
    -T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

    Adventures of Mae Fortune Revising - 2/17 chapters done

    Salamander's Shadow
    1st draft: 85,126/100k

  23. #11248
    Doing Pirate things... Tifferbugz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    ...on my pirate ship.
    Posts
    5,256
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post
    This just terrified me into saving my file as well as uploading the current version to G00gle Docs AND Dr0pBox.
    LOL! Better safe than sorry, I suppose. I think it's just a Mac thing. I've never had it do this to me with Windows. Windows will just crap out on you, not say that it has saved your document when it secretly has not. Mac's are sneaky, evil creatures.*



    *Referring to the Apple product, not the admin.
    ___________________________
    New Release: Don't Blackmail the Vampire

    Website & Blog
    Twitter
    My Books



  24. #11249
    practical experience, FTW Fenika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    -
    Posts
    24,289
    Alright, as promised, here is the dire ad so you know I wasn't exaggerating. I glanced at the poor boy today when I went to get my trailer. His paddock is full of poo in areas but he looked okay until he got excited. Then he looked a little rough.

    http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grd/2924759933.html


    Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

    Gardeners of AW, Unite!


  25. #11250
    Is there a problem? Etola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenika View Post
    Alright, as promised, here is the dire ad so you know I wasn't exaggerating. I glanced at the poor boy today when I went to get my trailer. His paddock is full of poo in areas but he looked okay until he got excited. Then he looked a little rough.

    http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grd/2924759933.html
    Oh dear I do hope he finds a good hope with people who can take care of him!
    We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.
    -T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

    Adventures of Mae Fortune Revising - 2/17 chapters done

    Salamander's Shadow
    1st draft: 85,126/100k

Page 450 of 1050 FirstFirst ... 200350375400425440444445446447448449450451452453454455456460475500525550700950 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search