XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of Australia, and because I have mentioned my theory of how everything in that country is out to kill you, I offer this:

50842.jpg

See, there is a mistake in this here "proof". I mean come on, my suspicion of disbelief has been blown out of the water.

Mosquitoes? Sheesh. Now if they were gargantuan misquitoes that could suck you dry in seconds, or, if they traveled in swarms like killer bees and behaved like piranhas, there you'd have me.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didnt see any sharks with friggen lasers while in Oz.

Prolly cuz I staid on terra firma. :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Debio;7164533 if they traveled in swarms like killer bees and behaved like piranhas said:
You should visit Down Under. Bring protection. ;)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mosquitoes? Sheesh. Now if they were gargantuan misquitoes that could suck you dry in seconds, or, if they traveled in swarms like killer bees and behaved like piranhas, there you'd have me.

What makes you think they *aren't* like that?

Sheesh, we have those here in North America.

And worse, the black fly, the little black fly.

:eek:

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
I figure if anything bad goes down, I can always scale the chocolate factory and hide there. You know if there's an earthquake. Or shots fired. Or bad weather. Or the sun comes out unexpectedly. I hope the oompa loompas are friendly.

Congrats! Also, see if they have cool gadgets a la Willy Wonka. ...you know, just in case.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
I withdraw my objections. To be honest, one of the scariest monsters in AD&D 1st edition for me, was the Stirge.

Imagine mosquitoes the size of doves that travel in packs, and don't let go once they get hold of you. I figure if Oz doesn't have them yet, it will.

The only place in Oz I have visited for homestays, was Kooralbyn. Apparently the name means "land of snakes". I was told that 5 of 6 of Australia's most poisonous snakes are native to the valley. Plus the poisonous spiders.

I was warned to always flush, then lift the seat to check for spiders before taking a dump. The spiders liked to bite testicles. So, take that story as you will.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Debio wants to pull out the large gauge Anti-idiot gun. Instead, he'll go to lunch. I'm going to end up living in the Cantina. I hope you don't mind too much. It will be good for the writing, however.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I'm reading the Haunting of Hill House. I'm enjoying it. I just read Hell House and was like... meh... this is washing the palate clean of meh.

ok, those tumblr people are just another breed....

Congrats! Also, see if they have cool gadgets a la Willy Wonka. ...you know, just in case.

First thing I'm looking for is the chocolate river.... but it is a factory... I'm gonna be careful. Don't want to throw myself into a river of sewage.

Debio wants to pull out the large gauge Anti-idiot gun. Instead, he'll go to lunch. I'm going to end up living in the Cantina. I hope you don't mind too much. It will be good for the writing, however.

no, but there is a lot of sympathies! :) *hugs*

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
:e2bummed:

Night folks.

How did I miss this. No! :e2hammer:

Do you need hugs? or coffee? or both?

I came back from lunch and I didn't shoot any idiots. Did I do good?

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds bizarre, but I have to admit, I developed a taste for them.

I like green tea very much. But personally, I don't like the green tea flavored foods. My wife however, loves the green tea Kit Kats. I have finally gotten her to buy 2 bags, one normal bag for me. Then being the typical wife, she scars her chocolate then eats half of mine.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Fen. Did you have fun today? I didn't kill anybody yet, or eat any newbies.

I let my MC manipulate a spoiled prick of a young nobleman into paying for his manumission. Unfortunately, I have a sneaky feeling the young nobleman will bear a grudge. :evil

Too bad.

Have you done anything mean to characters recently. It is sort of satisfying.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Morning cantinas :Sun:

Lots of sun today, bad weather gone away.

Hurrah and huzzah, I have bought a book via the Fleabay this morning. Wow! :banana:

More cycling this morning :e2bike2: so more :e2BIC: as well this morning, should be good.

:Coffee:for me and :e2grouphu for everyone else.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this is a call going out to all Brits, or people who have knowledge of Brits.

I have a group of students going to England for home stays some time next year. What kinds of questions do you think they'll be asked. What do Brits want to know about Japan, Japanese culture.

If you have had experience with Japanese kids in England, advice would be most appreciated. I have never been to England, so I thought I'd ask.

If not, no worries. I'll make them practice the basics and they'll be on their own.:evil

Same as every year.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Goodness me, that's going to be a culture shock for them. What age group are we talking about here? 11-16?

When I've seen kids who've been on this kind of thing before they usually like to contrast what they do in their own lives with the new culture. So recreation, food, sport, school, those sorts of themes.

Favourite foods, how to make it - possibly, or where do you get it from, eating out, favourite sport, how to play (if it's not obvious), school times, rules and subjects, how much after school homework do they get. Tv, computer games etc.

I would imagine there would be an interest in gaming and maybe anime.

I hope that helps a little

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Ali. Age is 15/16. They have studied English for 3 full years, but it was mostly "Pass college entrance exam" English, with a little English as a foreign language style conversation.

I just want them to be thinking about what they may be asked and how to answer. Most of them have the basics down, so should be ok. Some will do really well. Some others? Well, I have doubts they can tie their own shoes.

Some of the things you mentioned, I hadn't thought of. I have been in Japan long enough some of the strangeness has worn off so I miss the unfamiliar viewpoint. This is the fourth year the school has done it, and they plan on doing it every year. This is the first year I have been really involved so I'd like to get something set up that I can use every year. Next year I can be lazy.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
A few other things I thought of while I was painting my bathroom cupboard just now, the excitement of my life is just astounding.

Family - brothers, sisters, parents etc. Step parents and siblings are quite common over here.

Religious holidays - Christmas is a big deal over here. As in "I got this for Christmas" when talking about something.

Celebrity and soap operas - You can't get away from either of these so they might want to get them thinking about who's popular in Japan or has been over the past few years.

Cars or personal transport.

And finally, swear words. no really, the first thing I've ever learnt in any language is numbers, the word for alcohol and then the swear words. It's always been popular with kids so you may want to mention it.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Swear words, tell me about it. I think I finally have them convinced that "F**k you!" is not a social greeting in most situations. That misuse of that can result in great bodily damage. The flipping the bird thing as well.

Saying "F**k you!" to the teacher or flipping him off slowed a bit after I threatened to break the finger of anyone who did it. I'm not terribly worried about them using it. I have no personal thing against swear words. In class and to the teacher is a bit inappropriate however. They can't quite pronounce them properly so they'll mostly get laughed at instead of punched.

And if they get together with British kids and teach each other the "cool" words? As long as I don't have to take "official notice" of it as a teacher, then go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.