XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanAmazon

It must be Thursday.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you asked that, I didn't know either.

The only reason I can identify a Keurig is because a coworker of mine has been entertaining me with her frustrations of trying to diagnose the problem with hers... then replicating the problem for tech support... then repeating it the next day....

I think she's just getting a replacement one. Me, I go back to sipping my tea.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
what! I don't get it. I've heard that phrase my entire life!

My husband has used that phrase the entire sixteen years we've been together.

Yeah, it was amazing to watch that unravel. The fact that it spilled over into Chirper was equally mind-boggling.

But our very own 'Bugz had, what I consider, the most professional and well-written response regarding the matter.
I have now found my afternoon activity. Good day, Cantina!!

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
All I can say is, we have our reasons for it, and they make sense to us.

Well, maybe so you don't feel all alone there in Appalachia, my mate from Oz says, "Useless as tits on a bull" and it's something I've just picked up. Same kinda thing, I guess. I reckon many of those sorts of sayings originated here in England. I could totally see an Anglo-Saxon saying either one of those phrases.

Speaking of, I remember seeing a documentary once about Appalachian speech patterns and how they hearken back to Elizabethan times. I've never heard anyone from there talk (although a friend from Uni had a proper hillbilly grandma called memaw in Kentucky that I met once). What's your take on that? I find it a really fascinating idea! I love etymology, though, especially of English and the roots of English words in older languages. One of our academics does linguistics and I love hearing all the recordings she has of very different English accents. And, being an American, I love hearing the difference between the local Cambridge accent and the posher accents you get at my work. Anyway... Rambling. I'll shut up now. :D

*hugs Cantinerites* :)

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got the results of Timber's x-ray and ultrasound today. He has cardiomyopathy, which means his heart muscle is deteriorating. Even with meds, the vet says he has less than a year to live.

I probably won't feel like posting for a while.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got the results of Timber's x-ray and ultrasound today. He has cardiomyopathy, which means his heart muscle is deteriorating. Even with meds, the vet says he has less than a year to live.

:Hug2:

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Friend just forwarded me an article with the subject line: Your husband's future. Article was about men owning minivans. I was confused why she associated it with my hubs (we don't have kids yet, which is the crux of the article), and then I read this:

This is your first stop on the way to being a badass old guy who openly dresses down supermarket clerks and shoots BBs at the neighbor's cat. [read the whole thing]

That's my husband's goal in life. And to get to be an asshole to people without them complaining. He's fun. :D

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

10s..... Big big :Hug2:

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Friend just forwarded me an article with the subject line: Your husband's future. Article was about men owning minivans. I was confused why she associated it with my hubs (we don't have kids yet, which is the crux of the article), and then I read this:

That's my husband's goal in life. And to get to be an asshole to people without them complaining. He's fun. :D

Forget the cats, I'd be aiming at the neighbors.
Stupid kids... ruining my lawn:rant:

Last edited:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of, I remember seeing a documentary once about Appalachian speech patterns and how they hearken back to Elizabethan times. I've never heard anyone from there talk (although a friend from Uni had a proper hillbilly grandma called memaw in Kentucky that I met once). What's your take on that? I find it a really fascinating idea! I love etymology, though, especially of English and the roots of English words in older languages. One of our academics does linguistics and I love hearing all the recordings she has of very different English accents. And, being an American, I love hearing the difference between the local Cambridge accent and the posher accents you get at my work. Anyway... Rambling. I'll shut up now. :D

The Elizabethan thing is a discredited theory nowadays. The current belief is that our grammar and speech patterns are more closely related to Scots Gaelic. Which makes sense: fully 90% of Appalachia's population (at least this far south) is Scots-Irish, with a little German and Cherokee thrown in for flavor.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Appalachians are still very much acceptable targets for all the nastiness and cruelty that assholes can no longer dish out on blacks, Catholics, Asians, the disabled, you name it. That's part of why I'm so open and vocal about where I'm from; it's kind of a "Yeah, I am the cliche, go ahead and get your worst out so I can say my 'F*** you's' all at once" kind of thing.

Best boss I ever had grew up in rural Kentucky.

My $.02, this country (and every country) is full of all kinds of wonderful and interesting (and occasionally scary) subcultures, and every time I get to know someone who didn't grow up in the same one as me, my world gets a little bigger and richer.

Appalachia is the cliche, in a lot of ways. We're twenty years behind the rest of the country, we've got our own little ways and sayings that sound funny to the rest of you, we're backward and insular. I don't deny it; I don't want to deny it. All I can say is, we have our reasons for it, and they make sense to us.
Hey, my ancestors were Newfoundlanders. Same things are said about them. Sometimes it really nails a truth, sometimes it's just stupid asshattery at someone else's expense.

It's official. "The computer ate my homework" is no longer a lame excuse. The Uni's software/server that is used to record grades, attendances, etc and serve as a drop box for homework assignments just *ate* everything in a two week period.
:rant:

Um... no backups? Seriously? :Wha: I can't wrap my head around that.

Which is what? Plagiarism? Publish America? Being photographed with a pipe and tweed jacket with leather elbow pacthes for the book jacket photo?

The "Author's Big Mistake" is responding to negative reviews in a defensive/hostile/batsh*tcrazy way. I don't know if Anne Rice started it, but she was certainly the first big-name author I was aware of who did it (googling "Anne Rice Amazon Rant" should get you right into it.) Lots of authors have done the same thing since then, and a few editors, not wanting to be left out, have also jumped off that bridge.

:Hug2: I hope that at least, the two of you will still have some good times ahead, and when the end does come, that it's peaceful and quick. Many, many hugs to you both.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
... I really need MOAR Coffee today.

If I ever have a meltdown like in the II thread, please hit me with a clue by four. No need for a pass code. :D

Yeah me too.

Yeah, it was amazing to watch that unravel. The fact that it spilled over into Chirper was equally mind-boggling.

But our very own 'Bugz had, what I consider, the most professional and well-written response regarding the matter.

Thank you! You know, I really hate posting in areas like that because most of the time, people won't listen to what you have to say. But the deleted post was so nasty, I had to.

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I should have explained more. I meant a code word for when we see someone having a meltdown outside the cantina. Sort of a summons.

I can't imagine anyone having a meltdown here. Unless maybe a litficcer walks in by mistake.

A few years ago, there was huge drama in my RL friends circle. One of them, an Americorps-trained volunteer, organized a get-together where we would all be essentially locked into a room together and could hash out our difficulties and be supportive and civil, with her laying out the ground rules and moderating the thing. One of the activities we did was go around in a circle and everyone give one "best thing I like about you" and one "biggest difficulty in our friendship" to whoever was sitting in the 'hotseat' at the time. Sort of a safe, controlled way to air grievances and allow them to be addressed.

Now, because said moderator was also a writer, she knew how critiques should be taken with a grain of salt, and told us, "If one person says your tie is ugly, that's an opinion. If many people say your tie is ugly, you have an ugly tie."

After that, "ugly tie" became our code word to bring people back to earth if their particular problem/issue started to rear its head inappropriately. We would simply take them aside and say something like, "Your ugly tie is showing".

I offer it here as a potential code phrase, but we can modify it to suit the Cantina :D

*hugs* I'm so sorry to hear that, 10! :Hug2:

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
The Elizabethan thing is a discredited theory nowadays. The current belief is that our grammar and speech patterns are more closely related to Scots Gaelic. Which makes sense: fully 90% of Appalachia's population (at least this far south) is Scots-Irish, with a little German and Cherokee thrown in for flavor.

That's kind of a pity, but Gaelic is interesting, too. I used to be able to count to 20 and say "My name is" in Gaelic...heheh. :) I'm going to have to go dig up that web site that had recordings of all sorts of American accents on it and have a listen again, because I have a feeling my perception may change about some of them after living here so long. I know I have a hard time telling standard east coast from standard west coast, now, and I grew up in California! *wanders away mumbling 'now, what was it called...'*

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Big hugs 10 to you and your furbabies.

Don't you hate it when you realize a story that you are working on isn't started in the right spot.
*wonders off muttering about useless outlines.*

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs 10. Do we get pics of Timber?

Etola

Registered
Reaction score
Don't you hate it when you realize a story that you are working on isn't started in the right spot.
*wonders off muttering about useless outlines.*

Been there, done that, got the commemorative t-shirt.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
"Your ugly tie is showing".

I offer it here as a potential code phrase, but we can modify it to suit the Cantina :D

Please can we include the word 'monster' or something monster related. Hmm, thinking...

Hugs, hugs, hugs to 10s. Aw. :cry:

ETA: 207 words today.
Also, there's a report on the NY Times website and the BBC news that eating chocolate helps you to stay thin. Hurrah!

Last edited:

Etola

Registered
Reaction score
Please can we include the word 'monster' or something monster related. Hmm, thinking...

ETA: 207 words today.

207 > 0!

Hmm, maybe...but the point of the ugly tie thing was to use a phrase that was a gentle reminder, nothing that could come across as an insult or a public dressing-down.

But something whimsical, like "Hey, you've got a monster on your shoulder" could work?

Status
Not open for further replies.