XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We usually offer smibble piles. But they can be used for collapsing on in a tired heap, or just kicking back on like a bean bag or for angry stomping.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Fellow English major here, slashed with Art.

Okay, question to the masses. For those of you that took creative writing at a college or university level, did you find it helpful? I've attended them at two different universities at my time, both introductory and advanced, and had nothing but frustration (possibly because they were treated as elective classes instead of essential to a major).

Useless as tits on a boar hog. I only had the one class, and was so shell-shocked by it, I never took another one. the teacher was so rabidlu anti-genre (and I was so rabidly anti-asshole) that he and I ended up butting heads and no learning was accomplished.

Not my most mature moment, I'll grant you.

Okay. I have a suggestion. So far, I don't think any folks here will need it, but it's the ones who surprise you that really need it most.

I have just read through the entire Immortal Ink thread over in bewares. Classic example of a meltdown, if you haven't been there. I have no interest in saying anything about the specifics or even generalities of that thread. This is a meta-comment.

I propose that here in the Cantina, we make a code phrase. Something, weird and obscure, that we can give to other cantinaites who are in danger of, or god forbid, in the process of going through such a meltdown. Hopefully this codeword will help to pull said person back from the abyss of self destruction long enough for them to think about what they are doing.

It needs to be something innocuous so when we use it, if said person is in the middle of meltdown-mode, they won't see it as an attack.

So no, "Hey, lighten up asshole" just won't work.

With it we can look out for one another.

I've never actually seen a meltdown in the cantina. Either that, or they were having one, and clueless me didn't recognize it for what it was. On the other hand, I've seen people walk in here to recover from meltdown, or to fend off meltdown before it could get rolling.

But, with that said, I'm cool with the idea.

We usually offer smibble piles. But they can be used for collapsing on in a tired heap, or just kicking back on like a bean bag or for angry stomping.

What Fen said.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
What I think and what the masses think rarely line up...:)
Sometimes it can take a lifetime for genius to be recognised.

BIC for the win! (and extremely slow quiet day at work)
Go ninja writing. Well done :hooray:

Just don't tell yourself it's too hard. I went from knitting squares to socks and then lace shawls (but I've never finished a sweater...). It's all as easy as you let it be. :)
Agreed, although I've never managed shawl. I'm not a shawl person. Jumpers, now jumpers I can do in a heartbeat. Looks at current pile of stuff, t-shirts, jumper, knitted tights, pyjama top. I'm that kind of person. i do love making socks though. And SQUEE for your cat.

Gooooooooood evening, ladies and gentlemen
You're alive :snoopy:

Home from my first day at the new dayjob.
:TheWave:

OMG!, the DOUBLE FISTED KITTY ATTACK OF CUTE! there is no defence.
Agreed.

What's a Keurig?
I'm glad you asked that, I didn't know either.

Wait, this is the SF/F Cantina! Why don't WE have one of these things? HUH?
Hey! Wait! Who forgot to move the service droid when we redecorated?

so.... much.... of tired....
:Hug2:

Moving sucks. :(
What she said.
In a fit of I-dunno-what-I-was-thinking, I posted something for critique over on the poetry board.
It'll be fine. And if it isn't we'll send in the kraken right?

To paraphrase John Scalzi, "The failure mode of brilliant is idiot."
:roll:

With it we can look out for one another.
Isn't it nice to know that people care. :e2grouphu

Wait, is it still morning?
It'll be morning somewhere.
Useless as tits on a boar hog..
Where's Cobra when you need him? Cobra? COBRA!!!

The Cantina is an excellent meltdown refuge point.
i think the only thing I've ever actually seen meltdown around here is chocolate. Agree with Fen also.

So, I am now spending the day waiting for the delivery of all the stuff I spent money on yesterday. I don't do waiting very well. In fact, I'm terrible at it. So far today I have distracted myself by making bread and painting fencing, which has worked because I've got loads done, but my stuff STILL isn't here.

Perhaps if I go make some tea and try and write 2000 words before it arrives?

and before I forget :Sun:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
what! I don't get it. I've heard that phrase my entire life!

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score

Hmm. I should have explained more. I meant a code word for when we see someone having a meltdown outside the cantina. Sort of a summons.

I can't imagine anyone having a meltdown here. Unless maybe a litficcer walks in by mistake.

what! I don't get it. I've heard that phrase my entire life!

Me neither. I just thought it was funny.

Now, I am gonna try to explain this delicately. I don't wanna start a war. Especially since I've heard that there is Hatfield or McCoy blood flowing through some cantinaite veins. I have none, and regardless, I like my blood just where it is thanks.

Now, um, whenever the more "sophisticated" and/or "less rural" people(especially those Californians, never can trust them) really want to make fun of people native to places like oh, West Virginia, there are certain expressions they like to use.

I'd guess that that particular expression, "Useless as tits on a boar hog." would be in the top five most loved and most insulting.*

I personally think it is a very useful expression, but would never use it myself, for fear of offending someone, since it is used that way by non-hill-billy types.

Now, keep in mind that while I am not a hillbilly, I did grow up in a dairy town where the high school seniors were as hairy as the cows they milked and probably just as big. Folks grew full beards at 14 in my hometown.

An example would be, with fake accent,

"Well, now, that there is 'bout as useless as tits on a boar hog." *ptooey* *TANG* (sound of tabaccy spit hitting the spitoon)
works even better if it is grandma doing it.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
... I really need MOAR Coffee today.

If I ever have a meltdown like in the II thread, please hit me with a clue by four. No need for a pass code. :D

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Granted, Debio. But, insulting or not, it is a used phrase, one I've heard from multiple sources all my life. Being as I actually am a hillbilly, that's probably not surprising.

And removing one phrase from usage isn't going to change anything. Political correctness passed us by; Appalachians are still very much acceptable targets for all the nastiness and cruelty that assholes can no longer dish out on blacks, Catholics, Asians, the disabled, you name it. That's part of why I'm so open and vocal about where I'm from; it's kind of a "Yeah, I am the cliche, go ahead and get your worst out so I can say my 'F*** you's' all at once" kind of thing.

But the assholes aren't all wrong. Appalachia is the cliche, in a lot of ways. We're twenty years behind the rest of the country, we've got our own little ways and sayings that sound funny to the rest of you, we're backward and insular. I don't deny it; I don't want to deny it. All I can say is, we have our reasons for it, and they make sense to us.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I ever have a meltdown like in the II thread, please hit me with a clue by four. No need for a pass code. :D

Yeah, it was amazing to watch that unravel. The fact that it spilled over into Chirper was equally mind-boggling.

But our very own 'Bugz had, what I consider, the most professional and well-written response regarding the matter.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it was amazing to watch that unravel. The fact that it spilled over into Chirper was equally mind-boggling.

But our very own 'Bugz had, what I consider, the most professional and well-written response regarding the matter.

It was pretty impressive. Not to mention entertaining.

Afternoon folks. It's a nice hot day here so I ate my lunch outside. Lovely and sunny. But it's too hot to be at work :(

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Wow that was quite a train wreck. I read up to page 7yesterday on the II thread, but those last 3.... eeesh.

So that's one place on my list I'll never submit to!

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Reading the II thing myself over on B&BC. Wow. Just wow.

If I ever behave like that, please tell me that somebody will sic the kraken on me?

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning Friends!

I'm going to admit that I tried reading that thread and it made my head hurt by page 2. So I guess I'm missing out on all the fun. :)

ION, I got a new book to read last night and new books always make me :D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because many of my fellow Cantinaites are also teachers:

It's official. "The computer ate my homework" is no longer a lame excuse. The Uni's software/server that is used to record grades, attendances, etc and serve as a drop box for homework assignments just *ate* everything in a two week period.

Twenty-six assignments from my students are just *gone*.

:rant:

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*suddenly realizes he missed something big*

Was there a bannification again? Did a thread go all splody? And I missed it?

:cry:

The Skinny: In the Bewares and Awares thread, authors/publishers from a small pub house devolved into the Author's Big Mistake. And it spilled over into Chirper.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because many of my fellow Cantinaites are also teachers:

It's official. "The computer ate my homework" is no longer a lame excuse. The Uni's software/server that is used to record grades, attendances, etc and serve as a drop box for homework assignments just *ate* everything in a two week period.

Twenty-six assignments from my students are just *gone*.

:rant:

A+'s for everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.