XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
1:40 pm, I decide I want a can of that sweet crap called canned coffee that they sell here.

I loved the sweet crap. I lived in Singapore for several years, and while I was there developed a taste for it.

Also, is your avatar The Nameless One from Planescape: Torment?

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
And there are no borzoi breeders in Cape Town, as far as I can tell. *sigh*

I'll keep looking, and maybe talk to the Pretoria breeders, but seriously, I'm kinda down about this. :p

Oh, sad! There must be someone around a population centre that large. I'm sure you'll find a hound of your own. :)

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I like the stuff too, I just can't bring myself to call it coffee. If it is coffee it is crap, if it is a warm tasty drink, it is good.

And for the Avatar, it apparently is. You are the second to have mentioned that. I didn't know. I haven't played AD&D since oh, the second edition Psionics Handbook was new.

I chose it, because it looks scarily like how I envision my current WIP's Male MC. A few minor changes, and it will be perfect. It is close enough that I can almost hear him talking to me when I look it.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
I always thought those dogs were beautiful. But I'm afraid of breaking one. They look so fragile.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
And for the Avatar, it apparently is. You are the second to have mentioned that. I didn't know. I haven't played AD&D since oh, the second edition Psionics Handbook was new.

The Nameless One is actually a character from the PC gaming side of things. Planescape: Torment was a computer RPG released 1999 that was based on a license for AD&D D20 style mechanics.

But yeah, I"m with you on the lack of table-top RPG participation. The last time I had a session of D&D, the player's handbook looked like this:

Players+Handbook+1E+1st+-1.JPG

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
First edition is the best version by far. It is the most flexible for those in the know. Anything later had too many rules for everything and every rule or system they added made the group story telling aspect so much more difficult.

I could live with 2nd Edition because it was 1st edition with a boatload of optional rules you never needed to use if you didn't wanna. So I ignored them most of the time.

Never saw 3rd or 4th and don't plan to. When toy companies are making the games instead of gamers, there is a problem.

I think my geekiness is showing again. But, hell, this is the Cantina. There should be a sign over the bar,

"No Geek, No Nerd, No Service"

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to make pizza from scratch tonight for dinner. Husband will be disappointed, though. Whenever I make pizza from scratch that means gluten-free crust. And he *thinks* he misses the wheat. He'll eat it quietly though, and I will devour mine whilst reveling in deliciousness.

Can I come for dinner? :)

Hey Fenika. Not much, the Wife and I now find ourselves having to prep for the move into our first owned home, so I guess this means having to buy things like rakes and street shovels.

Other than that, just trying to finish the conclusion on my own WIP. Nearly there, then I'll have to let it stew, go over it a bit, and see if anyone here is interested in ex-rock stars turned half-angels and being hunted down by real ones.

Dont buy the cheap tools. Or look on craigslist :)

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I just have like, no geek card at all. Except that I saw the original Star Wars in the theatre as a young child, and had all the action figures. Never was a gamer, not into anime... no DND, no RPG.... I got nothin' at all. I didn't have enough friends to do all that stuff. Just the worlds in my head....

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I just have like, no geek card at all. Except that I saw the original Star Wars in the theatre as a young child, and had all the action figures.

That there is some serious, Elder Statesman type Geek Cred. Every year there are fewer and fewer people that remember Han shot first.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
This is oh so easy to fix.

Answer this question for me:

What do you write?

ETA: And I agree with shoeless. First run Star Wars? That is serious geek cred. Do you by chance remember watching the Star Wars Christmas special? I do. Barely. But it was real, no matter what certain narcissistic arrogant producers claim today. And it does take several people to have decent RPG experiences.

Also, "worlds in my head", that is in itself geek cred.

Last edited:

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Morning cantina :Sun:

I think I know what I'm doing with my WIPs today thanks to Fen's post yesterday. There are some good sounding stories out there, can't wait to read 'em.

:Coffee:

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. First fell in love with them close on 20 years ago when I met my then-boyfriend's dog, Stazi. Such an utterly gorgeous animal (they totally snuck into WtSiRR as the dragon dogs, because I'm predictable like that.)

So finally I think, ok, my life is fairly stable now, my kids are good with animals, let's look into living the dream.

And there are no borzoi breeders in Cape Town, as far as I can tell. *sigh*

I'll keep looking, and maybe talk to the Pretoria breeders, but seriously, I'm kinda down about this. :p

There must be, I know I saw two beautiful males on the Sea Point promenade about a decade ago... (yep, they're *that* common here, lol).

As a rare breed owner and enthusiast, I feel your pain. Even if you find a breeder in Cape Town, be careful. Borzois have a few health issues that good, selective breeding can circumvent. Also, their temperament can veer more towards downright anxious (with additional snapping in some dogs) when bred wrong. With small dogs, some people can overlook things like that, but a Borzoi is large and strong if it wants to be.

Look around. Find breeders. Have options. Compare them. Find the breeders' association. Even if the breeders are far away, consider them anyway. You'll have this dog a long time. It's worth it to invest time and money in getting it.

You probably know all this, but I can never resist the opportunity to climb on my Good Breeding Soapbox :Soapbox:

Can you tell I'm a dog nut? Can you? :D

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning!

*stares at calender* Dude, people, we are like, 4 weeks and counting until this baby comes. :eek:
tumblr_lte11bxpn61qg1b3n.gif

I still have a lot of shopping and prep that needs to be done. Guess I know what Mr. Kricket and I will be doing Saturday.

So, fyi, if I drop off the face of the internet around April 20th, you'll know why. I'll try to jump on quick sometime soon after the baby comes to let ya'll know how it went. :)

Anyway, enough about me and baby stuff. Let's talk about..... *fizzle and cracking noises in head, smoke coming from ears* ....

I'm going to go watch Stargate now. :D

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning!

*stares at calender* Dude, people, we are like, 4 weeks and counting until this baby comes. :eek:
tumblr_lte11bxpn61qg1b3n.gif

I still have a lot of shopping and prep that needs to be done. Guess I know what Mr. Kricket and I will be doing Saturday.

So, fyi, if I drop off the face of the internet around April 20th, you'll know why. I'll try to jump on quick sometime soon after the baby comes to let ya'll know how it went. :)

Anyway, enough about me and baby stuff. Let's talk about..... *fizzle and cracking noises in head, smoke coming from ears* ....

I'm going to go watch Stargate now. :D

Dude! My birthday is the 26th. So promise me if that is the day, you will NOT name the child Debio. And there is nothing wrong about talking about kids, babies or anything like that. Well, unless of course someone, for example starts bragging about how a year ago, their little one um, never mind.

Anyway, this is a subject worth talking about.

Though, the *fizzle and cracking noises in head, smoke coming from ears* thing is probably fun to talk about too. We can all think up causes.

Hmm....lessee.... OH! Gil snuck a taser into the Dong Garden! You know those Cabaret folks.

And just what did you give poor Kermit? He is speeding something fierce.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I just did an incredibly geeky thing. Useful I hope, but geeky.

I used my friend google to look for a bash shell script to give me a word frequency count. Found one. Opened VI, pasted it in, put the script in my bin directory, gave myself the right permissions and yippee skippe!

I can now just open a shell window type wf filename and I gets me a super quick frequency count.

Geek stuff. It's fun.

Now, I need to play with it so I can get it to display the results in multiple columns.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Ten - thanks for the dog-nutter warnings! :D These are things I'm aware of for the most part (I've been around borzoi and afghans) but it's good to have them drummed in.

And it's one of the reasons I've waited so long already - among other things I wanted to make sure my kids were well trained around dogs, and less liable to be overly excitable, lol.

I noticed with afghans a tendency towards crankiness with age, but other than that, like you say, good breeding, and well-raised animals help. I'm def gonna speak to the breeders, and I know they have a list and you need to be approved, so ...yeah, I wonder how that will go down. I have zero interest in either showing or breeding. (although I say that now, and the next thing you know an utterly remarkable animal comes along and changes my mind...because life is weird like that)

wow cluttering up the cantina with dog talk - bad, cat. Maybe if you have any other suggestions or thoughts you can message me? haha this was long and rambly. Forgive.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Do you by chance remember watching the Star Wars Christmas special? QUOTE]

I *own* the SW Christmas special. I bought it from a street vendor in the days before I was aware you could boot leg videos, but I've since realized it was probably pirated from the stellar quality. That and I think George Lucas pretends it doesn't exist, like the "nub-nub" dance at the end of Empire.

That said, I haven't seen it in a while, but I vaguely remember Bea Arthur in Jedi robes juicing celery.

Last edited:

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Hmm....lessee.... OH! Gil snuck a taser into the Dong Garden! You know those Cabaret folks.

Now wait one darn minute. They confiscated my tasers because of the pain meds for my tooth work... And because I kept blowing up the bottles of alcohol with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.