XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're over-thinking this. It's not just a cliche that every story has been told already - it's the truth. There was a thing on NPR yesterday on that very subject, having to do with the pulp novels of the early 20th Century.

Certainly any number of big name authors have done the same thing. Jurassic Park is basically Lost World, just updated. No one complained.

Read the series, see the differences, and then go ahead with what you have. It's yours, it'll be different.

And I promise to stop reading your mind when looking for new ideas.

Write it anyway. The idea you have now may not be the executed idea that is your finished project anyway.

Even people who outline talk about how they veer off into the sunset from what they originally thought the story was going to be.

Until it's done, I would not worry. Write, write like the wind. You are freeeeee!!!!!!

This. Word for word, this.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
:e2yawn:

I'm sleepy. I didn't get but about three hours of sleep last night.

Think I could sneak away and take a little nap? Then I'll get back up and work on my word count, I promise!

:sleepy:

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
:e2yawn:

I'm sleepy. I didn't get but about three hours of sleep last night.

Think I could sneak away and take a little nap? Then I'll get back up and work on my word count, I promise!

:sleepy:

You've done all those words on three hours sleep :eek:

Finisged reading my book. Just in time to go and collect the Feb reading group one from the library tomorrow.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Well, what do you like? :D

I'm sure we can suggest more than enough authors to burn through that baby!
I'm a big fan of fantasy (SURPRISE!!!). I've been reading a lot of urban fantasy lately along the lines of Stacia Kane, Patricia Briggs and Ilona Andrews. I actually have a few of those left to read, but I'm trying to pace myself, as I have a bad habit of buying ALL THE BOOKS! and reading them in one weekend.

But I also enjoy epic and high fantasy and I've not read any of those lately. Love me some Tolkien and Brooks. I've been working on GRRM, but I can only handle so much distruction at a time.

I also enjoy Robin Hobb and Regan Summers and Tiffany Allee. :D

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Because some things are so funny:

Today, I came home from out of state. I found out someone online had told my husband that the "fumes" from hot showers can be lethal. As a precaution, he removed the draft-blocking bathroom door to make sure it's "properly ventilated." FML
Rf-BvpnjLsM

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'm a big fan of fantasy (SURPRISE!!!). I've been reading a lot of urban fantasy lately along the lines of Stacia Kane, Patricia Briggs and Ilona Andrews. I actually have a few of those left to read, but I'm trying to pace myself, as I have a bad habit of buying ALL THE BOOKS! and reading them in one weekend.

But I also enjoy epic and high fantasy and I've not read any of those lately. Love me some Tolkien and Brooks. I've been working on GRRM, but I can only handle so much distruction at a time.

Hmm. For beautifully written high fantasy, I'd recommend Carol Berg's Collegia Magica Trilogy (The Spirit Lens, The Soul Mirror, and The Daemon Prism). It's more Renaissance than Medieval in feel, but still very much a high fantasy tale. (And if I could write half as good as she does, I'd die a happy woman.)

For an interesting blend of UF and secondary world fantasy, I really enjoy Michelle Sagara's Cast series. She also writes a TON of Epic fantasy as Michelle West (like, there are 12 books in that world so far.)

I also really like Nichole Peeler's Jane True books for straight-up UF with some smexy smex in it. It's got a nice blend of humor, too.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
*slips cassette into boom box behind bar*

*presses play*

*the opening chords of Europe's The Final Countdown blast, on repeat, possibly forever*

*leaves*

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Also, without having clicked on your link, was it Walk Off The Earth, possibly with a cover of Somebody That I Used To Know?

Got it in one!

Just keep getting increasingly bizarre and out there until even he's confused.

The thing is, I'm fairly certain I just couldn't muster any enthusiasm to mess with this individual, who has become increasingly tedious and uninteresting every year that I've known him, which is far too many.

But then I think judgmental people are asshats.

Probably because they are, at a guess.

Thanks, everyone. Spent the day so far messing around with my book database while toddler-wrangling. They're napping now, so I'm either going to try to figure out where the heck I left off on the long-sufferering novel WIP, or take a nap myself.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
So they had the Supernatural episode where Dean dresses as a cowboy on during my lunch break. Sooo tempted to use the smiley that shall not be named.

*will stop squeeing soon*

*maybe*

I also really like Nichole Peeler's Jane True books for straight-up UF with some smexy smex in it. It's got a nice blend of humor, too.

Seconded. Funny series. :D

*slips cassette into boom box behind bar*

*presses play*

*the opening chords of Europe's The Final Countdown blast, on repeat, possibly forever*

*leaves*

:Wha:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yay!: I might get a day off between old job and new job. This awessum possum.

Boo: I have to transition to biweekly pay again. Ergh!

Yay!: Said biweekly checks will be HUGE!!!

Boo: Bills will not wait for biweekly pay.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Following the success Junely and I have had today with our word counts, if anyone would like to join me for another go tomorrow, anywhere between 1:30pm and 5:30pm GMT (World clock here) you are more than welcome. Feel free to just join in for whatever you want or if you live in time zone where this doesn't work for you, feel free to take our word counts and then set a challenge for when we're back online.

:e2writer::e2BIC:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Yay!: I might get a day off between old job and new job. This awessum possum.

Boo: I have to transition to biweekly pay again. Ergh!

Yay!: Said biweekly checks will be HUGE!!!

Boo: Bills will not wait for biweekly pay.

Where you paid weekly or monthly before? But adjusting when you've got it all worked out for one type of pay is :gaah!

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
So they had the Supernatural episode where Dean dresses as a cowboy on during my lunch break. Sooo tempted to use the smiley that shall not be named.

So you know I had to comment.

I was going to post a lovely pic of him, but I didn't want to drive the rest of the Cantina nuts ;)

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
So you know I had to comment.

I was going to post a lovely pic of him, but I didn't want to drive the rest of the Cantina nuts ;)

Go ahead. Drive us nuts. I won't hold it against you.

:drool

(I may hold him against me, but I won't hold anything against you.)

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Where you paid weekly or monthly before? But adjusting when you've got it all worked out for one type of pay is :gaah!
I used to be paid biweekly, but I've been paid weekly for the last 6 or so years, so I have to transition all over again.

I just hate the gap between last paycheck from old job and whatever it is to get paid at new job, which if history repeats itself, could take up to three weeks to happen.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just hate the gap between last paycheck from old job and whatever it is to get paid at new job, which if history repeats itself, could take up to three weeks to happen.

Could be worse. I didn't even change jobs, but because I'm adjunct, not actual factual faculty, it was almost eight weeks between paychecks from the end of the Fall semester to the start of the Spring one.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.