Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Passes Kermit hands *wonders if Kermit had hands*
Thanks. I'll need these.

But you are the sarcasm fairy. Or is that not a nickname?
Oh yeah that too. But it was a sort of self-appointed title more than a nickname so not sure if it counts.

Decaff tea in this any country is awful an abomination unto the eyes of man.
There. Fix'd that for you :D

You mean "Poo?"

I'm sure she means it affectionately.

:D
*gags Bos*

*shoves him in the E-Ze Freeze*

Nothing to see here, folks.

My apologies in advance, this is going to be a VH!VT post (Venting Here because I can't Vent There.)

I have a "friend" on FB who feels it is morally incumbent upon himself to comment, in a vaguely derogatory and condescending manner, whenever I happen to post a link to some piece of music I like. This is because said "friend" is a musician, and has a band, and therefore Knows More Than Me, and feels I can be gently guided in the way of Better Music Taste by his wise and knowing disapproval.

This'd be obnoxious under any circumstances, but what makes it so entirely unbearable is that I've heard his band. They give stoner garage bands a bad name. They are so unbelievably bad that they could change their name to The Cringeworthy and still be grossly inflating their own skill level. And I am just that tiny smidgeon too polite to say that, so it EATS AWAY AT ME.

Okay VH!VT over. Thanks for listening.

And this was the latest video of comment: five people playing a single guitar simultaneously.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NF2edxy-M

Awesome, right?

Alas. Cannot watch awesome video at work :(

And you know, if you're conflict averse, you can always fall back on passive aggression...

Afternoon folks. So my two hour meeting on "personality in the workplace" turned out to be two hours worth of Myers Briggs typing. This wouldn't be so bad, except I did an entire module about personality and personality tests for my degree, so going over it all again in excruciating detail wasn't my idea of fun. Ugh.

Whut up?

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My apologies in advance, this is going to be a VH!VT post (Venting Here because I can't Vent There.)

I have a "friend" on FB who feels it is morally incumbent upon himself to comment, in a vaguely derogatory and condescending manner, whenever I happen to post a link to some piece of music I like. This is because said "friend" is a musician, and has a band, and therefore Knows More Than Me, and feels I can be gently guided in the way of Better Music Taste by his wise and knowing disapproval.

This'd be obnoxious under any circumstances, but what makes it so entirely unbearable is that I've heard his band. They give stoner garage bands a bad name. They are so unbelievably bad that they could change their name to The Cringeworthy and still be grossly inflating their own skill level. And I am just that tiny smidgeon too polite to say that, so it EATS AWAY AT ME.

Okay VH!VT over. Thanks for listening.

And this was the latest video of comment: five people playing a single guitar simultaneously.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NF2edxy-M

Awesome, right?

You need to post THIS on your wall and pretend to love it.

Also, without having clicked on your link, was it Walk Off The Earth, possibly with a cover of Somebody That I Used To Know?

Because that? Is truly and deeply awesome, and you can tell him I said that. There are famous musicians who take my opinion very seriously :D

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah that too. But it was a sort of self-appointed title more than a nickname so not sure if it counts.

Sarcasm? In the Cantina? wouldn't that make you the Redundancy Fairy? Trying to find sarcasm in the Cantina is like trying to find sand at the beach. ;)

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Considering who else has been shoved in there, and for what purpose, I am flattered. Somewhat.

But don't we normally take those persons out and dip them in chocolate? I'd don't want a sheep dipped in chocolate. Just sayin'.

You need to post THIS on your wall and pretend to love it.

What. Is. This? I mean, the music had my head bobbing but the way those guys (?) looked was all :Wha: Preggo brain is confused, which is normal, but still.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Considering who else has been shoved in there, and for what purpose, I am flattered. Somewhat.

Oh. I should have clarified. You're in the one in the basement.

Next to the velociraptor.

Sarcasm? In the Cantina? wouldn't that make you the Redundancy Fairy? Trying to find sarcasm in the Cantina is like trying to find sand at the beach. ;)

Yeah but "The Redundancy Fairy of Redundancy" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Although...

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Ooh, Ottoman! :heart: So comfy! Or at least comfy compared to 1500's English.

Mostly I do 1599 Venetian, which is more comfy than those silly English things. Pleating nine yards of underskirt into a single waistband? Not so easy. But embroidering the dirty sonnet (written specifically for the purpose by Master Michael!!) into the hem? Yeah, that was fun!

ETA: My persona is a courtigiana oneste, hence the dirty poetry. ;)

/SCA

Hehe. Neat!

I do like the Venetian. Heck, I like Venice. :D

I think if I were to do English, I'd join the 14th century Mafia. I like uncomplicated clothing.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Afternoon folks. So my two hour meeting on "personality in the workplace" turned out to be two hours worth of Myers Briggs typing. This wouldn't be so bad, except I did an entire module about personality and personality tests for my degree, so going over it all again in excruciating detail wasn't my idea of fun. Ugh.

Whut up?

Psycho, I think you need the :gaah smiley for that. :D

But that does sound excruciating.

And I promise not to call you Poo.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Darn it! You all shouldn't be so darned entertaining! You're distracting me from my word count!

:gaah

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
You're welcome. I have to ask if you have ever considered the wind-up scenario? You know, start to shift into the ever so slightly more ludicrous over a period of time. So you end up with Weird Al and his mad polka after about a month *, and then you go 'I can't believe you took me seriously'.

* Apologies if you like Weird Al and his polka, blame Jim Butcher. I do.

I like Weird Al, not so sure about his polka, but we grew up singing I'm Fat and a few others.

I agree with this. Just keep getting increasingly bizarre and out there until even he's confused. Recruit friends to help you find fodder. And then gush about how much you love this stuff and you can't believe how lucky you are that you found it.

But then I think judgmental people are asshats.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Hehe. Neat!

I do like the Venetian. Heck, I like Venice. :D

I think if I were to do English, I'd join the 14th century Mafia. I like uncomplicated clothing.

My best friend (and head of household) is 12th century Benedictine. He only has two pieces to his garb, and never fails to give me grief about having to help me get dressed. Apparently, having to lace, hook, tie, or button me into fourteen pieces of garb (not to mention jewelry and hair decorations) is a bit much to ask of one man. Or ANY man; he says I need to hire a girl, preferably one with strong hands ;)

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
My best friend (and head of household) is 12th century Benedictine. He only has two pieces to his garb, and never fails to give me grief about having to help me get dressed. Apparently, having to lace, hook, tie, or button me into fourteen pieces of garb (not to mention jewelry and hair decorations) is a bit much to ask of one man. Or ANY man; he says I need to hire a girl, preferably one with strong hands ;)

Heh. I can dress myself. ;)

Though, I shouldn't rag on complicated clothing... My Laurel's Florentine. And you know, all the do-dads and layers look awesome.

And then there's court Japanese for women, with 15 thousand layers of very simply constructed garments, thus making it impossible for you to walk.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
I haz a sad :(

I am looking to bump up my reading in 2012 to what it used to be and explore some new authors. I already have a bunch of you on my to-read list, but nothing is a better procrastination tool than looking for even MORE.

Well, I came across a series that looked interesting. I started to check it out and to my horror was nearly identical to an idea I have percolating as a potential series.

I know that every story's been told and that it's all about putting your own spin on things. But this was eerily close to the point if I still want to do it, I'd have to make significant changes.

That's already happened with another series I was plotting and which is simmering on the back burner until I can properly rearrange it so it doesn't look like I copy everyone.

It's just a bit discouraging. Not sure I should even entertain writing it someday.

And I'm also torn on whether buying the book or not because I don't want to be excused of copying later on.

:cry:

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

I am looking to bump up my reading in 2012 to what it used to be, and explore some new authors. I already have a bunch of you on my to-read list, but nothing is a better procrastination tool than looking for even MORE.

Well, I came across a series that looked interesting. I started to check it out and to my horror was nearly identical to an idea I have percolating as a potential series.

I know that every story's been told and that it's all about putting your own spin on things. But this was eerily close to the point if I still want to do it, I'd have to make significant changes.

That's already happened with another series I was plotting and which is simmering on the back burner until I can properly rearrange it so it doesn't look like I copy everyone.

It's just a bit discouraging. Not sure I should even entertain writing it someday.

And I'm also torn on whether buying the book or not because I don't want to be excused of copying later on.

:(

Check out a sample and see if the writing style/execution is anything like yours?

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score

I am looking to bump up my reading in 2012 to what it used to be, and explore some new authors. I already have a bunch of you on my to-read list, but nothing is a better procrastination tool than looking for even MORE.

Yours will come out different, promise. Try not to worry about it. *hugs*

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I think you're over-thinking this. It's not just a cliche that every story has been told already - it's the truth. There was a thing on NPR yesterday on that very subject, having to do with the pulp novels of the early 20th Century.

Certainly any number of big name authors have done the same thing. Jurassic Park is basically Lost World, just updated. No one complained.

Read the series, see the differences, and then go ahead with what you have. It's yours, it'll be different.

And I promise to stop reading your mind when looking for new ideas.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Write it anyway. The idea you have now may not be the executed idea that is your finished project anyway.

Even people who outline talk about how they veer off into the sunset from what they originally thought the story was going to be.

Until it's done, I would not worry. Write, write like the wind. You are freeeeee!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.