Not open for further replies.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Good morning!

I am having one of those "forcing myself to feel good days to get stuff done" days.

It'll work out, right? Right??

How is everyone?

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I'm here, Ali, I'm here! I know I'm late, but I'm ready to rock!

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
I'm here, Ali, I'm here! I know I'm late, but I'm ready to rock!

Hey, there's no clocking in and out here, just turn up when you want. Mind you, saying I'd be here really motivated me to get everything else done around the house in record time - must do this more often.

Rock, defintely rocking here. 273 words already, and I'm not really going yet. I just had to look up Irish whiskey types (as you do) that slowed me down. Must do important research :)

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Good morning!

I am having one of those "forcing myself to feel good days to get stuff done" days.

How is everyone?

Of course it will, this is the cantina, good things always happen to cantina folk.

Junely and I are rocking it would seem and I've just realised that my main character has swapped gender half-way through the second paragraph. Ooops!

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, there's no clocking in and out here, just turn up when you want. Mind you, saying I'd be here really motivated me to get everything else done around the house in record time - must do this more often.

Rock, defintely rocking here. 273 words already, and I'm not really going yet. I just had to look up Irish whiskey types (as you do) that slowed me down. Must do important research :)

I was right there with you on both the word count and the research. Up to just over 200 words. Had to stop in the middle and look up dangerous sedatives/hypnotics that were available before 1862. Mandrake and belladonna, for the win! And for the unpleasant.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I was right there with you on both the word count and the research. Up to just over 200 words. Had to stop in the middle and look up dangerous sedatives/hypnotics that were available before 1862. Mandrake and belladonna, for the win! And for the unpleasant.

509 now. I'm doing dialogue which always slows me up. I never did decide on a whiskey type to write in. I was looking for a medium sized distillery to support, but they all seem to be owned by big corporations now. Boo.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning Friends!

I have hot chocolate and chocolate covered toast. I haz a :D

And an upset 2 yr old. He doesn't want to eat his breakfast before watching a show.

E-pub or traditional, Big Six or indie, short, long, very long, o-dear-god-it-has-its-own-gravity-well long, it comes down to, "Is it a good story?" I've read good ones, both long and short. I've read bad. When they're terrific, I don't even notice the length. When they're bad, I can't NOT notice the length.

I hate reading a book that's terrific, and getting to the end and going, "Wait, where's the rest of it?" I also REALLY hate getting two-thirds of the way through a book and going, "Please, God, is it ever going to end?"

Ditto, everything.

Good morning!

How is everyone?

Yes, it will work out. I operate in that mode every day. :)

Good morning. Headache job is headachey.

But it'll soon be over right? :) Look on the bright side.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
509 now. I'm doing dialogue which always slows me up. I never did decide on a whiskey type to write in. I was looking for a medium sized distillery to support, but they all seem to be owned by big corporations now. Boo.

If you were looking for an American distillery, I'd be able to help you. Kentucky is Bourbon country, after all. (Woodford Reserve. Trust me) But Irish? No, sorry, can't help you.

I'm up to 500 words, too. But I'm writing a catfight between my heroine and the crazy psycho villain lady, so that picks up the pace a bit.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
At least it's the last time they can give you a headache on a Monday. Right? *attempts rose tint on TJ's job and gives up in disgust*

Yes, yes it will and this makes me very happy. Still gives me a headache though.

But it is almost over. I hope I hear from new boss that I emailed last week. Still have not heard anything.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Good Morning Friends!

I have hot chocolate and chocolate covered toast. I haz a :D

Good morning Kricket. Ah, the food of writers, sounds wonderful, ponders wandering off to kitchen for food, decides on later.

And an upset 2 yr old. He doesn't want to eat his breakfast before watching a show.
Aw, poor miniture Kricket. :Shrug:

We really are slapping on the rose tint with this job, eh? :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is just... mean. :e2cry: Et tu, Fens? Et tu?!

Yep :) First step is acceptance and all that. Dont cry.

Yes, yes it will and this makes me very happy. Still gives me a headache though.

But it is almost over. I hope I hear from new boss that I emailed last week. Still have not heard anything.

I hate that. I hope NB calls back stat.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Himself has just come back from his blood donor session and brought me a packet of three digestive biscuits! What a nice man. This means I'll probably have to stop now, or at least slow down.

I am up to 743 words. :e2woo:

I'll try and get back in a bit if I can. I think the trick might be to leave the word processor turned on.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Himself has just come back from his blood donor session and brought me a packet of three digestive biscuits! What a nice man. This means I'll probably have to stop now, or at least slow down.

I am up to 743 words. :e2woo:

I'll try and get back in a bit if I can. I think the trick might be to leave the word processor turned on.

700 words for me, but now I'm stuck. I have a bunch of information I need to convey in the next two conversations, and I'm not entirely sure which bits should go where.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Morning all. I finally figured out why my contacts hurt so much. I should have thrown this pair out 5 days ago. Ooops.

Life at work is winding down. I'm cleaning out my desk and not-so-ninja editing.

:Hug2: to eyeblink.

So, I've been sewing some things, and I have an outfit on a dress dummy in my living room while I work on it. Last night, I thought to myself, "You're going to come down in the middle of the night and freak yourself out when you see this lurking in the corner."

Guess what? I came down stairs in the middle of the night, brushed up against the sleeve and lost my shit because HEADLESS PERSON IN MY LIVING ROOM!! AAAA!

*cough* yeah. It's a good thing I live alone (for the most part).

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
700 words for me, but now I'm stuck.
I am too. I have two people who have just broken into the back of a house, even though I said at the beginning that they were breaking into a private bank. I'm also thinking that I should have a conversation somewhere explaining why they are breaking into anywhere.

The one thing I am quite pleased with is that this story seems a bit different for me, and different to me. I've never met this kind of thing before - well, breaking into places I meet all the time in fiction - it's the who that's doing the breaking and the why that are a bit different. This is good, right?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
My apologies in advance, this is going to be a VH!VT post (Venting Here because I can't Vent There.)

I have a "friend" on FB who feels it is morally incumbent upon himself to comment, in a vaguely derogatory and condescending manner, whenever I happen to post a link to some piece of music I like. This is because said "friend" is a musician, and has a band, and therefore Knows More Than Me, and feels I can be gently guided in the way of Better Music Taste by his wise and knowing disapproval.

This'd be obnoxious under any circumstances, but what makes it so entirely unbearable is that I've heard his band. They give stoner garage bands a bad name. They are so unbelievably bad that they could change their name to The Cringeworthy and still be grossly inflating their own skill level. And I am just that tiny smidgeon too polite to say that, so it EATS AWAY AT ME.

Okay VH!VT over. Thanks for listening.

And this was the latest video of comment: five people playing a single guitar simultaneously.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NF2edxy-M

Awesome, right?

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
So, I've been sewing some things, and I have an outfit on a dress dummy in my living room while I work on it. Last night, I thought to myself, "You're going to come down in the middle of the night and freak yourself out when you see this lurking in the corner."

Guess what? I came down stairs in the middle of the night, brushed up against the sleeve and lost my shit because HEADLESS PERSON IN MY LIVING ROOM!! AAAA!

*cough* yeah. It's a good thing I live alone (for the most part).

:ROFL:

Late period? How could you overlook it in the dark? They're the size of a compact car! On the other hand, a houpelande or cotehardie, I could totally see one of those sneaking up on you in the dark.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website

You're welcome. I have to ask if you have ever considered the wind-up scenario? You know, start to shift into the ever so slightly more ludicrous over a period of time. So you end up with Weird Al and his mad polka after about a month *, and then you go 'I can't believe you took me seriously'.

* Apologies if you like Weird Al and his polka, blame Jim Butcher. I do.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
My apologies in advance, this is going to be a VH!VT post (Venting Here because I can't Vent There.)

I have a "friend" on FB who feels it is morally incumbent upon himself to comment, in a vaguely derogatory and condescending manner, whenever I happen to post a link to some piece of music I like. This is because said "friend" is a musician, and has a band, and therefore Knows More Than Me, and feels I can be gently guided in the way of Better Music Taste by his wise and knowing disapproval.

This'd be obnoxious under any circumstances, but what makes it so entirely unbearable is that I've heard his band. They give stoner garage bands a bad name. They are so unbelievably bad that they could change their name to The Cringeworthy and still be grossly inflating their own skill level. And I am just that tiny smidgeon too polite to say that, so it EATS AWAY AT ME.

And this was the latest video of comment: five people playing a single guitar simultaneously.

Awesome, right?

More than awesome: that's FRICKING AWESOME! And you can quote me on that.

God, I hate blowhards who think they know more than me. I can give you a good comeback that doesn't sound too terribly snotty, but will put him in his place, if you like.

something along the lines of "experimental performance technique" and "modern take on "Variations on a Theme by Mozart." (yes, the guitar part is Mozart's Variations on a Theme; of course, it's also Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, but still....)

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com

Awesome, right?

Deal with this type every day. My deepest sympathies. Imagine various karma bites back situations to make it better :)

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
:ROFL:

Late period? How could you overlook it in the dark? They're the size of a compact car! On the other hand, a houpelande or cotehardie, I could totally see one of those sneaking up on you in the dark.

It was an Ottoman coat (I was figuring out the shape of the neck hole), which drapes similarly to a houpelande. I generally either do early period Byzantine (which is my persona), Late period Ottoman ('cause I love Turkish things), or Japanese ('cause I'm in a Japanese household and Japanese garb is very comfy at Pennsic). /SCA

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
It was an Ottoman coat (I was figuring out the shape of the neck hole), which drapes similarly to a houpelande. I generally either do early period Byzantine (which is my persona), Late period Ottoman ('cause I love Turkish things), or Japanese ('cause I'm in a Japanese household and Japanese garb is very comfy at Pennsic). /SCA

Ooh, Ottoman! :heart: So comfy! Or at least comfy compared to 1500's English.

Mostly I do 1599 Venetian, which is more comfy than those silly English things. Pleating nine yards of underskirt into a single waistband? Not so easy. But embroidering the dirty sonnet (written specifically for the purpose by Master Michael!!) into the hem? Yeah, that was fun!

ETA: My persona is a courtigiana oneste, hence the dirty poetry. ;)

/SCA

Status
Not open for further replies.