Registered
Reaction score
Captain Hammer, for the win!

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!"

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Now that is the kind of science I can get behind, or other prepositions.

Also, I have the most amaaaaaaaazing birthday cake in my car and I just want to sneak out and eat allllllllll of it.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Have I mentioned that I really fricking HATE meeting new people? It makes me feel so insecure and inadequate and clumsy and ugly and I'd just as soon stay home and hide under the covers until they go away.

Sigh.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I need to replicate your results! We have to share data!

Get your own data, woman!

(quick, someone post a pic of Data) ;)

Have I mentioned that I really fricking HATE meeting new people? It makes me feel so insecure and inadequate and clumsy and ugly and I'd just as soon stay home and hide under the covers until they go away.

Sigh.

But you're the same wonderful person no matter who is around.

Dudes, I just called a friend and feel Much Better. I sold my draft horse in early 2003 to a lady and she promised to keep in touch. She even invited me over a few times the first two years and I went. We chat every few months now and today, as always, we swapped horse stories. My draftie is doing well, though he's recovering from an abcess. He's still a total ham and loves kids. This horse is 6 feet at the shoulder. I've ducked under his belly to the other side. Kids look at him, this massive Belgian, and he looks at them, and there is magnitism. The kids don't run, and even if there are other sleeker horses, they wanna be with him :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Then they are blind fools.

...and can I borrow the short one later. Whichever is the short one. Dont care. ...it's for science. I need a control group. :e2brows:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Then they are blind fools.

...and can I borrow the short one later. Whichever is the short one. Dont care. ...it's for science. I need a control group. :e2brows:

<3

And yes, you can borrow him. But don't break him, and wash him before you give him back.

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Have they actually done allergy tests yet? I'd ask them to look at foods first. I have the kind of food allergy that doesn't make you go to the ER, but causes severe pain. Doc said it can cause migraines, etc. too. I cut out the right stuff -- in my case, gluten -- and in a few weeks no more medicine, etc. I'd want them to run the full allergy panel, etc. before pointing it to your dogs.

Either way, :Hug2:

I wanted to mention something like this, too. But felt too new to butt in and sound like one of those "has the answer to everything jerks".

But, back in high school I would get migraines... a lot. I also had a very bad temper even when not having the migraines. My mother read in one of her Woman's Day type magazines about a woman with a child who had the same problem. Turns out it was milk allergies. Not just milk but anything dairy.

We cut dairy from my diet and everything went away. Cheese and yogurt type things, I can eat occasionally, but too much and things go bad again. Which sucks because I love cheese. The smellier the better.

It only took about two weeks before we noticed the improvement.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention it. It is a relatively simple thing to try and won't hurt even if it doesn't work. Plus, I'll offer hugs as well...:Hug2:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks June! I'll bring him back shower fresh :D

Night folks. I'm taking Fillion and Control1SN to be-- er, the lab. Night testing is critical.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'm going to go :Headbang: in a corner for a while because of an exceedingly stupid discussion occurring in an LJ community I help moderate.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Arg! Time Zones Kill me! All trying to be helpful and I'm three pages late.:tongue

Anyway, free hugs for anyone who wants and/or needs them. Japan is not a hug culture and I miss my hugs.

Also, keep in mind that for real science, any experiment must be reproducible or it doesn't count. So someone is going to have to share.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Arg! Time Zones Kill me! All trying to be helpful and I'm three pages late.:tongue

Anyway, free hugs for anyone who wants and/or needs them. Japan is not a hug culture and I miss my hugs.

Also, keep in mind that for real science, any experiment must be reproducible or it doesn't count. So someone is going to have to share.

:Hug2:

And sure, we share. Are the boys more your speed, or would you prefer something along these lines?

Milla-Jovovich-5.jpg

Debio

Registered
Reaction score

And sure, we share. Are the boys more your speed, or would you prefer something along these lines?

Milla-Jovovich-5.jpg

That's quite nice. I'm gonna have to be careful now. My wife is gonna tease me.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Stupid schizophrenic weather! Yesterday it was snowing. Today I'm burning up in short sleeves!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, at work all day and then class tonight, just now catching up:

But the thing I hate most? Is that they now think that the cause of my migraines is that I'm allergic to the one thing that keeps me going. Yes. My dogs.

I've had a single, non-ending headache since last March. Now, most of the time (particularly lately) it's quite mild, but it takes only the slightest provocation to go instantly to borderline migraine territory, where I start having vision problems, dizziness, etc. along with the searing pain. Mine, however, is strictly related to a teenager ramming me with his car at high speed because he didn't think traffic lights applied to him.

One thing I've discovered about chronic pain (even if episodic) is that, after a while, you start to feel guilty, as if it's your own fault that you're not over it. This tends to coincide very neatly with people's generally limited ability to be sympathetic getting distinctly more fickle. End result: not only do you physically feel like sh*t, emotionally you're increasingly worse off too.

So, advice #1, if you can, go find someone to talk to to help you with the psychological side-effects of chronic pain. Your feelings are real, and valid, and just as much in need of support and healing.

Advice #2: I dunno about in the UK, but I'm about 2/3rds of the way through a bazillion allergy shots, one of which is for cats. And I'm happy to say no one even *looked* like they might suggest the cats should go. If your allergist is suggesting that to you, go get a better allergist. Get the dog thing either confirmed or ruled out.

Advice #3: Many years ago I had a friend who wasn't allergic, per se, to anything, but eating peanuts made him extraordinarily depressed, and eating garlic made him stoned out of his gourd. All foods have effects on us, and they vary by person. You may be way ahead of us on all of this, but if not, it might not hurt to start weeding things out of your diet to see if it affects your migraines; even if dogs do turn out to be the prime offender, it may be that other things exacerbate the reaction, and if you can cut down on those, it might give you some relief while you work on getting desensitized to dogs. Googling elimination diets and common allergens is a good place to start, as is keeping track of what you're eating and when you get headaches to see if there's some sort of pattern. Also, where you are in your cycle can affect headaches, particularly if you're prone to being a bit anemic at that time of the month, so look for correlations there.

Lastly: WE ALL THINK YOU'RE AWESOME. And we want you to get better. Lots and lots of hugs, and hoping you find some answers soon.

I teach at a local university.

I'm noticing that an awful lot of us seem to be in academia...

Can I have a hug? I got no migraine, no crap job, no real reason to need a hug. I just need it.

kenthepen

Registered
Reaction score
May Bokonon bless all of you. I'm afraid it's human nature for the sympathy factor to wane with mysterious illnesses like those. I think most people think, consciously or un-, "why don't you DO something and fix it?"

Hang in there. Much love.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to go :Headbang: in a corner for a while because of an exceedingly stupid discussion occurring in an LJ community I help moderate.

This may be too late, but, well, wouldn't be more effective to :Headbang: the worst offenders. I mean, it would definitely be more satisfying. Besides, everyone needs to do their part in removing the stoopidz from the world.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon, maxmordon, I think most everybody has gone sleepy sleep. I'm sitting at my desk with nothing to do. A curious string of events has left me with no classes to teach today.

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Mine, however, is strictly related to a teenager ramming me with his car at high speed because he didn't think traffic lights applied to him.

(snippage)

I'm noticing that an awful lot of us seem to be in academia...

Junely.... Ouch! Is it something that will clear up, eventually? I sure hope so. :( :Hug2:

Also, I've started to notice this, too. Wonder what it is about teaching/working with people who teach that turns people to SF/F (or is it vice versa what in SF/F that makes 'em want to teach/hang out with teachers... Heh :) )

Also, also, I am completely out of episodes of Grimm to watch. What am I gonna do? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.