XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
What's so hard about driving stick? My husband taught me the first year we were married. Took a whole hour, and that's only because he had just replaced the clutch cable, so the clutch was really touchy.

I heard somewhere that only 16% of the US population knows how to drive a stick (I vaguely remember hearing this, so it must be true, right?), and I'm not teaching someone during the zombie invasion. Finding them the hill to practice on will be hard enough without zombies surrounding us.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
This is why I think everyone should know how to drive a stick too. I'm just sure I'm going to get stuck in an emergency zombie situation with a gimp leg and someone who can't drive a stick. Then we will be eaten by said zombies.

*looks around suspiciously* It's going to be one of you people, isn't it?

I've been taught how to drive a stick on Mr. Kricket's '71 Beetle but I didn't like it.

And I'm not sure how much help I'd be during the Z Apocalypse. I'm an aggressive driver and pretty good with bats/clubs. Otherwise, I just know people, like my dad. I swear, every time I talk to my parents they've bought another gun. I'm sure their inventory has tripled in the last 6 months.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I heard somewhere that only 16% of the US population knows how to drive a stick, and I'm not teaching someone during the zombie invasion. Finding them the hill to practice on will be hard enough without zombies surrounding us.

This. Times a billion.

Everytime I offer to teach CobraMrsFit how to drive a stick, she responds, "I know it well enough that I could figure it out in an emergency."

Um, no. During an emergency (zombie apoxylips, Mayan Ragnorak, B1eber concert, etc), you want those skills to be second nature so you can drive with one hand and operate the "boom stick" with the other.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
This. Times a billion.

Everytime I offer to teach CobraMrsFit how to drive a stick, she responds, "I know it well enough that I could figure it out in an emergency."

Um, no. During an emergency (zombie apoxylips, Mayan Ragnorak, B1eber concert, etc), you want those skills to be second nature so you can drive with one hand and operate the "boom stick" with the other.

Exactly! I was stressed enough learning when I was 16 with my fearful mom next to me, and her biggest worry was us rolling down a hill. Imagine the stress with zombies banging against the windows! There's no way you're going to find first gear, let alone work a clutch, during a zombie escape if you're not already an expert.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
We will need a map reader and someone to yell "They're gaining" at a very high octave.

So, now you know why they're called 'B' roads eh? ;)

exactly...

now, can't we just get automatics to run from the zombies? I mean, come on - I have my own car to drive!

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Exactly! I was stressed enough learning when I was 16 with my fearful mom next to me, and her biggest worry was us rolling down a hill. Imagine the stress with zombies banging against the windows! There's no way you're going to find first gear, let alone work a clutch, during a zombie escape if you're not already an expert.

Amen.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
So what I really want to know is: where are all these zombies escaping from and why do we have to run away? We can't all be in the firing zone and why don't we stand and fight (or do I mean write?)

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So what I really want to know is: where are all these zombies escaping from and why do we have to run away? We can't all be in the firing zone and why don't we stand and fight (or do I mean write?)

Well, considering the plot of almost every zombie movie, there's a tipping point when the heroes and heroines make a valiant stand before the big escape. Personally, I'd prefer to make my stand in a place with plenty of supplies and a lot of difficult-for-them-to-negotiate terrain. If/when things go down, we might have to travel to that ideal kill-zone.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Well count me in on the stick driving crew (along with tractors, large trucks with trailers, and some heavy machinery)
B's dad has a housefull of guns, knives, and assorted weapons (maybe some real grenades somewhere)
Other useful skills include: EMT training - advanced first aid- some idea of what kinds of plants are edible or medicinal, able to make own clothing and supplies from the rough....

so do I get the job?

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well count me in on the stick driving crew (along with tractors, large trucks with trailers, and some heavy machinery)
B's dad has a housefull of guns, knives, and assorted weapons (maybe some real grenades somewhere)
Other useful skills include: EMT training - advanced first aid- some idea of what kinds of plants are edible or medicinal, able to make own clothing and supplies from the rough....

so do I get the job?

Heck yeah!

This is fun. It's like building an uber Away Team. Medic, Security, Operations, etc....

And no Red Shirts allowed...

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Call me picky, but didn't you say earlier that if the balloon went UP. Are we prepping for both types of emergency or just the one and then we stand on our heads if required?

Bad things can happen from every direction.

I like to be prepared for all of them.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Why do you need a hill for learning to drive stick?

several reasons

1) to teach driver how to let off clutch smoothly. (easiest down hill)

2) how to teach driver how to get car to moving at bottom of hill from a start (can be complicated)

3 how to start vehicle without need of key

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
several reasons

1) to teach driver how to let off clutch smoothly. (easiest down hill)

2) how to teach driver how to get car to moving at bottom of hill from a start (can be complicated)

3 how to start vehicle without need of key

Weird. We learn to drive stick without a hill and manage just fine :D

Status
Not open for further replies.