XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my God, you know what's even funnier than my in-laws setting off the alarm at my house?

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
But of course it is. 2012 is going to ROCK! :e2headban

*grabs 2012 by the horns*

*hornwhispers: you will not suck! by all that is holy and/or unholy.....*

2012 is going to be AWESOME (Said in DJ Lance Rock Voice). If it's not the best year evah, it's going to wish the end of the world really did come.

Oh my God, you know what's even funnier than my in-laws setting off the alarm at my house?

Them getting arrested by the Po-lice?

Last edited:

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
I come with a concerned question to the all-knowing Cantina. Maybe someone has had a similar experience. It is yucky dog stuff related.

Monday our dog, which I will refer to as Big Dog, suddenly became ill. He started shaking, ears back, and he refused to eat. Diarrhea started. Just like that. He had been fine early that day, even hours before.

He started to deteriorate fast and was having trouble walking, so we took him to a Vet ER. They checked him out, said his prostate was big, and gave him some meds for an intestinal problem. He started doing a little better, but we wanted to have him check at our vet just in case.

Vet noticed a slight fever and some tenderness in his abdominal area. Told us to keep him on the meds he is on. He went on a bland diet and was doing well on it. More of his personality returned.

Vet called this morning to report his blood work came back and he had extremely high white blood cell counts. We took him back and he got a shot of penicilin, and then some more antibiotics to take with the ones prescribed before. The vet noticed he was looking much better, and I commented on how his appetite was returning.

Then it all fell apart.

Sometime today after the shot, the new meds, and his mix of hamburger and rice, Big Dog started vomiting. First time he lost his lunch. Second time he lost the rest of his lunch and (I thought because I heard him down the hall) fell. Big Dog went to his water bowl and drank. Soon after, a third time was water and foam, and he collapsed. Fourth time was bile, orange chunks, a tinge of blood, and what looked like seeds?! So we rushed him back. He had an episode of vomiting/diarrhea a few years ago and almost lost him, so we weren't taking any chances. The vet was perplexed. He had no temp. He looked fine, aside from some remaining tenderness. He's trying a diff antibiotic just in case it was a medicine thing, but doesn't know what could have caused the collapsing and vomiting.

We're home now and he's sleeping. If he vomits again, we'll have to take him to the hospital.

So my question for you. Any thoughts? I'm trying to think if he ate something bad and/or poisonous. He had so many seed-things in his vomit. They are small and brownish. I'm so confused! I just want him to get better :(

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ohh Kerri :( :Hug2:

Did you take the seed thingies to the vet to show him?

It does sound like something he ate to me, but I'm no vet. I really hope he'll get better really quickly. Lots of hugs and strength for your pup and for you!

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Ohh Kerri :( :Hug2:

Did you take the seed thingies to the vet to show him?

It does sound like something he ate to me, but I'm no vet. I really hope he'll get better really quickly. Lots of hugs and strength for your pup and for you!

I did. The vet agreed with us that it looked like seeds. I'm just at a loss, you know? I've been so sick and now my dog is sick and I'm afraid he'll die. Just too much.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry KL. :( I don't really know anything that could be helpful. Have you taken a look outside to see if anything looks like what he vomited?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
:Hug2: KL. Don't know a thing about dogs, but completely understand the worry. I wish animals could tell us what was wrong when they're unwell... :(

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:K.L.

I can't think of anything beyond what's already been mentioned. Does he have any chew toys, or non-toy objects he's been chewing on or eating?

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, to add to the poisonous foods list: avocado seeds are very poisonous to dogs. It's probably not what your dog ate, but I found the list Alessandra linked to lacking :)

More hugs. I'm so sorry, Kerri. I wish I could do something.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
KL: I'm so sorry bout Big Dog! Of course, if he had poisoned himself, and they realized it, they could have given him some charcoal to leach it out of his tummy - but since he's thrown up so much, you'd think he'd have already gotten it out.... and since his kidneys and liver aren't failing, hopefully it's not poison - as I beleive that is where signs of poisoning produce themselves.

I just hope he gets better!

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
On another note: I was reading Cold Mountain and there was a qutoe from one of the characters about guineas... I wanted to copy it down for the Cantina, but I forgot - however, my googlefu was victorious, and here it is:

"We need us some guineas. I’m not partial to their eggs for frying, but they’ll do for baking needs. Even discarding the eggs, guineas are a comfort to have around and useful in a number of ways. They’re good watchdogs, and they’ll bug out a row of pole beans before you can turn around. All that aside from how pleasant they are to look at walking around the yard." Ruby

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, KL, the GI is pretty complex. Coulda been poison, check your storage areas and dont let BD roam out of site at all. Grapes are also toxic.

Your dog could have garbage gut or general gastritis or any number of things. And the first vet might not have been totally whacked.

Is he holding down water now or is he not to have water yet?

Even if I had all the info from your vet, I couldnt do a consult as I'm not a small animal practitioner. All we can do is give you general info. You can find some articles on veterinarypartner.com and banfields site.

:Hug2:
Dr. Fen

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On another note: I was reading Cold Mountain and there was a qutoe from one of the characters about guineas... I wanted to copy it down for the Cantina, but I forgot - however, my googlefu was victorious, and here it is:

"We need us some guineas. I’m not partial to their eggs for frying, but they’ll do for baking needs. Even discarding the eggs, guineas are a comfort to have around and useful in a number of ways. They’re good watchdogs, and they’ll bug out a row of pole beans before you can turn around. All that aside from how pleasant they are to look at walking around the yard." Ruby

Oh, epic. I meant to rep you back about that but I've been bad about getting on the real computer and catching up...

Kateness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kateness.wordpress.com
Can I jump in on the sad-pet-stories? :(

We have an old cat - 16.5 years old. He's been blind (partly or wholly) for a couple of years, but he's got great spatial awareness and never had a problem getting around the house he'd lived in all his life. He's been getting progressively slower/thinner/frailer over the past year or so.

When I went home on the 22nd, he was still walking around, albeit slowly and confusedly.

Come mid-24th, he could hardly move. Couldn't put weight on the left side of his body at all. For the first time, actually started not making it to the litterbox (before, there were occasions when he came close but just missed a little).

For the next day and a half, I supported the left half of his body so he could eat, drink, and make trips to the litterbox (we guessed and just left him to it).

When I left on Tuesday morning, he was just starting to be able to support himself on the left side of his body (though his left hind leg still tends to slip out from under him).

Through all of it, he's never seemed in pain. He's still eating and drinking at any opportunity given.

We know he's close to gone. But he's been around forever. I just want to stroke him and tell him he's a good boy and gently lie him back in the basket he's adopted.

:(

Grunkins

Grand adventurer of the couch
Registered
Reaction score
Score one for bachelor dining. Raided my refrigerator tonight, threw various left overs together, and came up with . . . VEGETARIAN CHILE CON CARNE!

Yes, that's vegetarian chile, with meat!

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:'s for KL and Kate

I'm so so sorry KL, i hope you find out what's wrong and he can get better very soon

Sorry for your kitty too Kate, sounds like he's very loved

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Seed mystery solved!

We had gotten our dogs some natural biscuits made with seeds and granola. Big Dog is on the bland diet, yet managed to steal one this morning.

Those things are packed with seeds, let me tell ya.

So he did get into something he wasn't supposed to, but at least it wasn't poisonous plants.

Still, the vomiting is troubling. We're monitoring him now. We've reintroduced water. Let's hope he can keep it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.