amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
My parents bought me a bag of flour for Christmas.

To go with my brand new bread machine! :D OMG, I've died and gone to carb heaven!

It makes jam too.

I...uh...will need to go to the gym next year. A lot. Because I could live on bread alone.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Your parents are marvellous. Can I borrow them? ;)
Seriously, I have a bread machine and I would never go back to shop bread unless aliens abducted my machine or something.I admit to being able to sort of make it by hand, but my machine is such a time saver.

Enjoy.

Could I please have a stiff drink? I just joined write 1 submit 1. I think I might need to sit down, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Anyone else do this? (looks despairingly for moral support from new found cantinas who have no idea who this mad woman is. . .)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bread machines are awesome.

I don't do w1s1 but I should...

And also, tree lights are pretty. I keep driving by a non pine tree that has all its leaves off and is wrapped completely head to root in blue lights.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I got really lucky with the parent lottery.

And on top of that, my aunt and uncle bought be a huge bottle of Cointreau. Margaritas are on me. :D

I am so looking forward to taking the bread machine for a spin. And the Cointreau, but not at the same time.

I wish I could do write1 sub1 for shorts every other month rather than every month.... every month might kill me.

Kateness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kateness.wordpress.com
My family's game of Monopoly perfectly explains my family dynamic (me, my mom, bro, and sis played.Dad never plays).

Bro - the lowest on the totem pole. Always out first.

Mom - I don't want to play if I can't win.

Sis - as long as I'm winning, it's the best game ever. If you do something I don't like, the game sucks/it's unfair/you're a bitch.

Me - why the fk do I come home on the holidays?

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't do w1s1 but I should...
Don't worry, by March my enthusiasm will have ebbed and I'll be saying the same thing.

So Lord of the Rings part 2 watched, including my favourite line where Gimli gets Aragorn to throw him onto the causeway and he says 'only don't tell the elf'. Tomorrow is part 3 with my other half's favourite line of

Bad guy: you and who's army?
Aragorn: This one.

Also watched a couple of episodes of Babylon5. Bad sci-fi, I love it (well, apart from Blake's 7, that was just terrible)

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
On the plus side, I got a slow-cooker AND a blender for Christmas (yes, I ask for functional Christmas presents) :D

And you get them, which is even better. I hope you enjoy using them. Where should I send my bottle of elderberry for mulled wine next year then? I think that is one of the best ideas for a slow cooker I ever saw.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Merry Christmas Cantina!

We have done all sorts of things. The kids have been quite pleased with their gifts. Oldest kid is trying to drive me nuts and I'm brain dead from exhaustion.

That about sums up my last two days.

Hope everyone is having lots o' fun.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Those lights ARE on steroids...

Evening folks. Star Wars original trilogy successfully watched! MrMacologist complained that there wasn't enough martial arts-ness. Heathen. Next up we'll watch the new three and he can see how shite they are.

Hope everyone is having a merry day :)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Also watched a couple of episodes of Babylon5. Bad sci-fi, I love it (well, apart from Blake's 7, that was just terrible)

:( Babylon 5 was bad?

Well, okay, the movie specials, yeah. But ... but the show itself? :(

When I first got into Doctor Who all the local fans were raving about Blake's Seven. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Back from the Dreaded Mother-in-Law Christmas.

Got a new winter coat, which I needed desperately. My daughter in law gave me a jar of homemade mulled wine. You all know I don't normally drink, but tonight I may make an exception; I love mulled wine.

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Did the presents, yummy ham for dinner and headed out christmas light looking with the in-laws

(and hubby went and rented Dead Island for me to play later :D )

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Could I please have a stiff drink? I just joined write 1 submit 1. I think I might need to sit down, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Anyone else do this? (looks despairingly for moral support from new found cantinas who have no idea who this mad woman is. . .)

I joined last, um, August-ish? I don't really remember. I pretty much managed it, except for November where I went on a 100% writing strike as my way of failing spectacularly at NaNoWriMo. Two things about W1S1 that worked for me: 1) it's handy to have a goal to aim for, and that helped me get some things done and also try my hand at a few experimental things when I had none of my usual stuff ready to go, and 2) it's a great community, and not everyone makes their goals all the time, and it's all still okay. (-:

I wish I could do write1 sub1 for shorts every other month rather than every month.... every month might kill me.

No reason you can't. Just declare that your goal, and go for it. I know there are a few people who do 2 a week, and there are some of us who're about to jump back into novelness and will be happy to get that done in a year.

On the plus side, I got a slow-cooker AND a blender for Christmas (yes, I ask for functional Christmas presents) :D

Asking works for you? I asked for an outdoor thermometer. I got the world's most horrific T-shirt.

:( Babylon 5 was bad?

IMHO, some of the acting in the first season was ridiculously bad, and there were a couple of total stinker episodes (Soul Hunter comes immediately to mind.) Despite that the glimmer of really interesting, convoluted, and worthwhile plot shone through, and season two was enough of a turnaround that the badness of one was forgiveable. But I still wince, sometimes, when I go back to watch 'em...

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I think he came on after the first half. If anyone figures out what minute, please post. I recorded the clip on my iphone :)

About 18:50, but I'll note that I've always found WWDTM worth listening to in its entirety.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed :) such an awesome program.

unruley700

save us from sleep and what we are
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing say "Merry Christmas" like hydration!!

That's some good H2O!

Merry Christmas or equivalent, everyone. I made out like a bandit, gift wise. So in the words of Ice Cube ... "Today was a good day."

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

I joined at the end of Nov, so no worries, you're not alone :) Everyone's very friendly over in that neck of the woods too

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
Secret Santa fail over at my house. Everyone always tells me who they're getting presents for and to find out what they want, which let's me figure out, by process of elimination, who I should expect a present from.

To top it off, my dad, who was my mom's gifter, completely forgot to get her a present! Ah, at least she played it off. I think he's secretly in the dog house now for a while, though.

Lastly, I once had "Man cannot live by bread alone" as a debate topic in High School. I think they wanted a philosophical debate out of it, but it ended up being a yelling match regarding the body's need for water, with me roaring "You can squeeze water out of bread, you doof!" at my opponent.

Except replace doof with another word that starts with D....

Happy Holidays everyone!

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, CobraMrsFit and I both lost The Ugly Tie Contest (opening ceremonies for our family's Fruitcake Christmas), but the guy who won had an ah-maze-ing tie. Gotta love technology because we Skyp3'd our entries in.

So yeah, good Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.