zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
*offers to buy round of drinks for all Cantina-ites who, like me, have no place better to be tonight*

I have no better place to be, except perhaps on a tropical island in the south pacific, but I'm happy with where I am. Next round on me. :)

Watching my effusive toddler and dry, sarcastic brother interact is hilarious. The kid is becoming skeptical before my very eyes.

Heh. (-: I wish my children had gotten the chance to know my brothers, esp. my little bro. He and my teen would have gotten along really well in the sarcasm dept.

Also I'm helping him play this game. I say helpful things like, "Why don't you jump?" And then he thanks me by telling me, "Why don't you shut up?"

This may be more fun for me than him. :D

Ooooh, when he dies, do you say, "See? You should have jumped!" too? That sounds like a great game.

2 min to midnight here by my clock. Presents are under tree, stockings are stuffed, tithe of gift-wrapper chocolate has been apportioned and consumed. Time to shut off the lights and try to catch some sleep before the morning chaos.

Happy Holidays / Merry Christmas / Joyous Yule / Wonderful Winter to you all! (-:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
it's officially Christmas here. Whoo hoo. Kids are in bed, though not asleep. Hubby is stuffing stockings with elebenty-seven tons of candy. I'm high as a kite on back medicine.

Only 23 hours and 55 minutes until my favorite holiday: Boxing Day. I love Boxing Day because it's far from next Christmas as can be managed.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Christmas is here! Going to have a good one despite being sick (still, ugh). *nods*

Merry Christmas (if you celebrate)!

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
My sister and I were talking tonight about a strange little Christmas custom in our family. It's silly and trivial, but I'm surprised by how much it means to me.

My daddy was a little boy during the Depression. His family was well off for our community, but that didn't mean they had very much. He told us that during those years, one of the most important things he would find in his Christmas stocking was a big box of Cracker Jack. Because of the money situation, that was the only time he could get it, and he always looked forward to it.

So when he was a father, and we girls asked him what he wanted for Christmas, he always said the same thing: Cracker Jack. And every year, he got four boxes of Cracker Jack, one from each daughter. When he started having grandchildren, it was the same deal. Moreover, it became a tradition for the daddies in the family to get a box of Cracker Jack in their stocking.

My father has been dead since I was 27. And still, as I type this, there are four boxes of Cracker Jack under the tree, for my husband: one from each child. My sister's tree has two boxes of Cracker Jack under her tree.

Silly, no? But it's one of the few things about Christmas that I really treasure, and NEVER fail to do.

Does anybody else here have a tradition, no matter how small, that they always do? Tell us a story about it?

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
BTW, and on a completely different note:

the gun, gaily giftwrapped, is now under our tree. And written down the side, in big, black Sharpie: "You'll shoot your eye out!" Courtesy of my younger daughter.

The smartassery around here knows no holiday reprieve.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Ditto. I must read all books by Cantineros!!

This, when I find time. The person I'm beta'ing for tends to write chapters 26 pages long, so it's taking up a fair amount of my reading time.

:Headbang: I may go to the mall so I can relax.
It's been a bit like that here for the past couple of days. My aunt and my grandmother spend too much of their time sniping at each other, and my father has to be made to feel guilty or terrible at least once a day.
Ahh well, it happens every year, so it's almost scenery by this stage

*wanders alone through empty Cantina*

*sits at the bar and downs one glass of water after the other*

Aww, ten. I'll drink with you :) I don't think I could fit in much more than water anyway.

Christmas is here! Going to have a good one despite being sick (still, ugh). *nods*

Merry Christmas (if you celebrate)!

Have a good one, all of you :)

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
That's gorgeous. So personal to your family, and says so much. I mean, imagine if there were suddenly only three boxes of cracker jack in your husbands stocking. For everyone else it would mean nothing, but it would have mountains of meaning for your family.

Sorry to go so depressing, but I love it when things are so full of meaning like that.

I don't think we have anything from dad's side of the family - my parents tried to keep us as seperate from my father's family as possible when we were growing up - they had very... concrete ideas about what was allowed in a person's life, and what they were allowed to hope for and achieve. So we didn't get anything much in the way of tradition from them.

With my mum's family, however, there's the tradition of my uncle and the lemon butter. Every year mum makes gallons of lemon butter that she gives away at Christmas, and every year my uncle eats it all before his even on his way home. So every year we give him and my aunt two jars of lemon butter - one sealed up which my aunt puts away, and one covered in cling wrap, with a spoon sticking out of it for easy access :D

My sister and I were talking tonight about a strange little Christmas custom in our family. It's silly and trivial, but I'm surprised by how much it means to me.

My daddy was a little boy during the Depression. His family was well off for our community, but that didn't mean they had very much. He told us that during those years, one of the most important things he would find in his Christmas stocking was a big box of Cracker Jack. Because of the money situation, that was the only time he could get it, and he always looked forward to it.

So when he was a father, and we girls asked him what he wanted for Christmas, he always said the same thing: Cracker Jack. And every year, he got four boxes of Cracker Jack, one from each daughter. When he started having grandchildren, it was the same deal. Moreover, it became a tradition for the daddies in the family to get a box of Cracker Jack in their stocking.

My father has been dead since I was 27. And still, as I type this, there are four boxes of Cracker Jack under the tree, for my husband: one from each child. My sister's tree has two boxes of Cracker Jack under her tree.

Silly, no? But it's one of the few things about Christmas that I really treasure, and NEVER fail to do.

Does anybody else here have a tradition, no matter how small, that they always do? Tell us a story about it?

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watching my effusive toddler and dry, sarcastic brother interact is hilarious. The kid is becoming skeptical before my very eyes.

I think you should transcribe these interactions and blog about them for posterity :)

Stille nacht, heilige nacht ...

:Wha: That was... jarring :D But in a nice way! :heart:

In other news, I signed onto the internet to do something and now I forget what.

To read the rest of that short? :D

I loved that, that was really sweet. I don't have a tradition, but I'd love to read about others' traditions :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning everyone! Suzan, are those your sprouts?

Perhaps I can give away single cotton squares for Halloween next year. Hmmm.

I hope everyone has a good day and no one shoots their eye out! I had to give the BB gun back to my uncle yesterday.

I am going to brave the grocery store this morn, if its open, and get some fruit and essentials.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com

Tradition is my fave part of the holidays and your story brought tears to my eyes.

You should make it a story or something ;)

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Merry Christmas Cantinarinos :)

Suzanne, are those your kids in that box in your avi? Because DAAAAWWWWW and lol :D

Fen, sorry to hear about your accident. *hugs*

Christmas morning has been spent eating omelette and drinking tea and watching Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. Which seems like a perfectly reasonable Christmas to me :D

Whut up Cantina peeps?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Every year mum makes gallons of lemon butter that she gives away at Christmas, and every year my uncle eats it all before his even on his way home. So every year we give him and my aunt two jars of lemon butter - one sealed up which my aunt puts away, and one covered in cling wrap, with a spoon sticking out of it for easy access :D

Pretty funny! And, oooh, lemon butter. Any chance of getting a recipe?

Morning everyone! Suzan, are those your sprouts?

They are indeed. They spent so much time in the box their gifts came in, I wondered if it was worth buying them anything more than a big empty box!

My father has been dead since I was 27. And still, as I type this, there are four boxes of Cracker Jack under the tree, for my husband: one from each child. ... Does anybody else here have a tradition, no matter how small, that they always do? Tell us a story about it?

That's a lovely tradition!

We don't have much here. My family is very small to start with (at one point I was down to four relatives on the entire planet) and when we were kids we used to go spend it every year with my grandparents, but they've been gone for a long time now. After my brothers died xmas kind of became about those of us left sitting around being miserable but not talking about why, which means not getting to talk about the good things we miss too. Lots of stress, not much joy, not healthy at all. This is the first year it's just been me and the kids, and the little ones are too young to really "get" any sort of tradition stuff, but I'm hoping to sort of establish things as they get older. One thing we do every year is have a cake on the night of the Solstice with a sun drawn on it in frosting and candles we all blow out to make a wish for the new year. And given how well it worked out last night, I may make a big pot of xmas eve chili a tradition too! Nom.

xmas-eve-chili.jpg

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, pretty chili.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Merry Christmas! We opened gifts this morning. Right now my husband is instructing our eldest in cooking for dinner. I'm off to iron the table linens.

I love when ironed linen gets all smooth and silvery.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone not celebrating Christmas? (and not for boycotting reasons but for religious reasons or somesuch...)

My wild birds are feasting today. It's become suddenly colder at night.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Well I don't particularly celebrate the day. But I do have a tree up cos I like the lights :)

That's why I put our decorations up, because they are all twinkly. I seem to have had three elderberry wines, which given that it's about 200% proof means that my keyboard is starting to move in it's own orbit in front of my eyes. I realise you can't see this but I am typing l-i-k-e- - t-h-i-s and it's suddenly very hard.

Part 2 of Lord of the Rings watched. I may opt for School of Rock later.

Talking of decorations, is it just me or do the lights on the tree up there at the top of the forum seem to be on steroids? I'm sure they are going waaaayyyyyy too fast. Go take a look, you'll see what I mean.

Oh, oh, cat with a furball, back shortly. Can someone pass the teapot please.

Status
Not open for further replies.