XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Taking a moment away from the nakedness, smibbles and all-around weirdness:

How long can you realistically make a chapter before it just gets into "oh come on, this is going on forever!" territory. Because this chapter is currently 1790 words and I've still got three scenes to write in it.

I'm actually trying something new in my current WIP where I'm not really labeling my chapters. I just use a *** every time there's a break. I'll decide where the chapters are later. Right now I'm just writing and writing and writing. :)

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Depends, but I tend to use 3000 words as a bullseye. That's about 12 pages of double-spaced TNR 12-Font (averaging 250 words a page or so). Longer and shorter are fine so long as the flow is decent.

If you were at 12,000 words, I'd say yeah, maybe think about trimming that sucker.
Currently I'm on 2,028 words (hooray for writing 300 more since asking this question). On page 13, but then again I'm writing on A5-size paper with size 14 Plantagenet Cherokee font.

Because I like the look of it, that's why. :)

Shoestring

Junior Space Janitor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiding from mountain trolls. Do you smell fish?
I'm actually trying something new in my current WIP where I'm not really labeling my chapters. I just use a *** every time there's a break. I'll decide where the chapters are later. Right now I'm just writing and writing and writing. :)

Sounds like what I need to be doing.

I'm gonna take a break from the nekkid dance party for a while...

*re-clothes*

...and maybe go get something done. :D

Laterz all!

And CM...don't eat the glitter.

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
How long can you realistically make a chapter before it just gets into "oh come on, this is going on forever!" territory. Because this chapter is currently 1790 words and I've still got three scenes to write in it.

Mine have been consistently around 5,000 words and...

As long as you like surely? I mean Terry Pratchett doesn't even have chapters just gaps between scenes, sometimes you get ******

I usually have numbered, related scenes in my chapters. I can't seem to help myself. I think I read too much Koontz in my formative years.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like what I need to be doing.

I'm gonna take a break from the nekkid dance party for a while...

*re-clothes*

...and maybe go get something done. :D

Laterz all!

Yes, go be productive, like me.... riiiight.

Ahem!

Is it "special" glitter?

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
If the label had the crudely drawn picture of a smibble eating a rhinocerous, then yes...yes it is.

Don't eat the glitter.

*digs packet out of trash*

Yep, smibble eating rino.

*eats glitter*

:PartySmil:e2bouncey:PartySmil::e2bouncey

:D

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

2070879702_8e6726fdfd.jpg

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com

All depends on personal preference I think. I read a book once that had no chapter breaks at all, then another that had a chapter break every couple of pages. I think so long as the story is done well, chapter breaks don't make much of a difference.

IMO though, one scene per chapter is good.

Depends, but I tend to use 3000 words as a bullseye. That's about 12 pages of double-spaced TNR 12-Font (averaging 250 words a page or so). Longer and shorter are fine so long as the flow is decent.

If you were at 12,000 words, I'd say yeah, maybe think about trimming that sucker.

A chapter takes as long as it takes. Lewis Carroll had a chapter that was one sentence long. Stephen King had chapters in some of his books that were 20-30K. Don't sweat it.
Although my current WIP (or is it actually WIPs?) doesn't divide into chapters, per se, that last novel I wrote used CM's "chapter marker" of roughly 3,000 words.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
:cry:My glitter. I was gonna use that to decorate the smibbles for Christmas...

Well, you've got a few months, you can buy more.

Besides, it was in the trash. You already used it on CM. Would you use pre-used glitter on smibbles? I'm not sure they'd like that.

Shoestring

Junior Space Janitor
Registered
Reaction score
But I made that glitter special from ground rainbow unicorns and burro-dragon spit.

Do you have any idea how hard it was to find those two things?

Now I'm gonna have to wait until next year to decorate the smibbles.

Last edited:

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
But I made that glitter special from ground rainbow unicorn horns and burro-dragon spit.

Do you have any idea how hard it was to find those two things?

I thought rainbow unicorn horns were two-a-penny around here with Sara Sparkles and her operation, ahem, I mean entreprenurial business venture.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Out of here! I have a doctor's appointment this morning. When I get back from that, it's time to start canning tomato jam (it's not really jam, it's a relish, I don't know why they call it jam).

Evening: cook supper, then write write write!

Shoestring

Junior Space Janitor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought rainbow unicorn horns were two-a-penny around here with Sara Sparkles and her operation, ahem, I mean entreprenurial business venture.

I didn't mean the horns. I meant the entire unicorn. *discreetly edits the last post, hoping no one will notice the obvious lie*

Later Junely!

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*enters on a flying bed with an orangutan and a sapient pearwood trunk*

Hallo. No running amuck for me. I'm still sick. But Incalled off work because last night was shear torture and never again. Urgh.

And don't mind these two. They need somewhere to hide.

I'd like to add something to the B5 info.

For a minute I thought you were really insulting CM. you shouldn't call someones well written summary BS ;)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*fishes out Archivist hat from under pillow. Shakes out smibbles and places hat snuggly on head. Pauses from exhaustion...*

The Cantina 1.0 went uber long as the 25k organization and AW needs to load faster dodad didn't come into effect until after the server crashed a few times. They never traced it back to the bantha using the teleporter. Don't tell.

There were many funny names along the way, but all these insulting ones are a rcent phenomenon so thus I do protest again. We need a decent name before lockdown.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Oh hey! I also wrote last night. *hugs WIP*

It's a hair-pulling day at work, but I'll survive. For a moment this morning, I thought they fired me because my badge didn't work. But then another co-worker showed up and her badge didn't work either. Turns out it's everyone. Whew!

Status
Not open for further replies.