XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychotic.Pink

Registered
Reaction score
Stubborn characters can be the most interesting. I'm trying to understand mine better. That way I can see where they are wanting to go and then I can make it hard. But don't tell them that, they might rebel.

Oh, and where abouts in Oregon? I grew up in Tillamook, lived in Portland for several years, then some time in Clatskanie and McMinnville.

Oh I figured out how to move past the scene. Turns out he didn't want to tell the character something quite yet. He has quite the infatuation with her right now, and he's trying to move delicately. It's not earthshattering, but I guess it wouldn't be very good if he announced it right away.

I've actually lived in several different towns in Oregon, actually. Grants Pass, Monmouth, Sixes, Coos Bay, Myrtle Creek, Tri-City... right now I'm attending WOU, but yah. :3

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
What's it like to move from place to place? I've only moved twice in my life, and that was almost twenty years ago. The first move felt like a death in the family, and the second felt like a prison break (I was so glad to get out of North Carolina). The rest of my life, 43 years, I've lived in the same place.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
What's it like to move from place to place? I've only moved twice in my life, and that was almost twenty years ago. The first move felt like a death in the family, and the second felt like a prison break (I was so glad to get out of North Carolina). The rest of my life, 43 years, I've lived in the same place.

All depends on if you're moving with what you can toss into your car (which is how I moved from Denver to Chicago) or if you're using a truck and preplanning (like when I moved from Chicago to Phoenix).

I'm going to recommend against the car-only moving. Important things like books get left behind. :(

Psychotic.Pink

Registered
Reaction score

Well, you kind of got used to it, I guess? Because I've moved a lot growing up, I guess I see each new place as an adventure, with new people to meet and places to see, and have kind of a wanderlust.

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score

I've always wanted to ask the opposite of that question.

What is it like to live in the same place all your life.

I'm 42. Including my house here in Japan, I have lived in 2 countries, 2 states, 9 towns and 15 houses.

1/3 of my life has been in Japan. And that has been fairly stable, so, let's exclude that to get...

2 states, 8 towns, 12 houses by the time I was 27 and came to Japan.

(If you have read John Scalzi's famous "On Being Poor" blog post, I identified with a lot of it.)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
You're heading out of short story territory into a novelette!

Yeah. That happens more often than I care to admit. It's my muse slowly trying to drag me back to novel-writing.

I will finish this book. I will.

Yay, go you! :)

Hmmmm. Not counting college dorms or the summer I spent living in France, I've lived in 10 different places, in 7 different towns, all of them in the same state. The shortest move I ever made was about 30', from one apartment to another. I've moved across the state 5 times (but it's a little state.)

Moving is good for deciding which of your stuff you really just don't need, because if you can't motivate yourself to make the effort to put it in a box, it gets left behind. As long as you can avoid panic-packing, it's actually kind of cathartic.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Moving is good for deciding which of your stuff you really just don't need, because if you can't motivate yourself to make the effort to put it in a box, it gets left behind. As long as you can avoid panic-packing, it's actually kind of cathartic.

Bolding is mine, of course. This is very true, but it only works if your mother is not the packrat from hell, with rabies.

Every time we moved, it was just box everything up, rent a truck that it would fit into, add a trailer if the biggest truck wasn't big enough. When we got to a new place, because we had experience moving, and all the boxes numbered and a master list, everything immediately necessary went in the house. Everything else went into the garage or whatever storage facility was available. Some of that stuff never, ever, got opened.

The only thing I insist on keeping is my books. Anything else can get tossed. And that is only because I was too poor growing up to keep my books. If I wanted a new one, I had to sell old ones to get the money. It's the only reason I don't like using libraries....I have to give the books back.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I've always wanted to ask the opposite of that question.

What is it like to live in the same place all your life.

Assuming you like where you're living....

Our family's been on this same piece of land since 1811. My blood, my heritage, my past and my future are anchored here. When my grandmother died, it passed to my father; when my mother dies, it'll pass to me and my sisters. When I die, it will pass to my children. This is where we've always been, and I know I will always have a place here, now and for all my progeny.

That's a nice feeling.

I feel safe here. I know every bend in the road, I know every secret place. I know the hills so well that I can find my way safely home in the pitch black of night, and have done so on several occasions. I know my neighbors; indeed, most of them are kin, so I know them rather better than you'd normally want to. They look after us, we look after them.

Can it be tedious? Yeah. Especially if you're a freak/geek/nerd, and don't mesh so well with your fellow man, it can be a little disheartening to know that you're not going to ever see new faces. The kids that tormented me in school can never be escaped because they are my kith. But I've made my peace with that.

Small town life / rural life must sound so dull to the city folks here. To that, I can only say, A) it's not so dull as it sounds, and B) I don't feel cheated at all. Hell, I think I got the better deal.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
To answer your original question more in the way you answered mine, let me think. And I think, maybe the shallowness of my first answer may be a sign of someone who has moved a lot. There can be a reluctance to really open up and make ties. Maybe someone else can comment on this, too.

At least for me, once I hit my teens, I learned to overcome my natural geeky introversion and make friends. But, I never tried really hard to make them really strong friendships, somewhere in the back of my mind, I always new it wouldn't last. For ever was about 18 months, or 2 years. The rest of my life, never entered the picture. That was something that would happen in the future, someday, if I was lucky.

I think I have been lucky. Now, I can think of "here for the rest of my life." It just isn't where I ever thought it would be.

I guess that "shallow friend" making ability has helped me as a teacher. I can work with students be friendly and make attachments and not worry that I may never see them again.

I have made many good friends over the years, but because I never really made the effort to make those friendships deep, I don't have contact with any of them. The closest I have with a couple of them from college is a facebook friend connection. And I rarely spend time on there or communicate because our lives have gone in such different directions that we have little in common anymore.

Sounds sad and lonely doesn't it. It's not really. I have what is important to me. My wife and son. I have co-workers I can talk to. Students I can goof around with. And, you guys. I really don't have time for much else, even if such people were available.

So, in a way, I envy you and the ties you have. I think I could find some comfort in knowing that "this place is mine."

On the other hand, having moved around so much, I have met so many different kinds of people. Some were really cool, some very not cool, some interesting, some boring. That's a good thing, too, I think.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning Friends!

False labor sucks. I feel like an idiot, but as Mr. K keeps telling me, it's better to be safe than sorry.

On the topic of moving and such. I lived in the same house for the first 20 years of my life. I did 2 semesters in a dorm in GA and then 8 months in a dorm in UT before I got married and officially moved to UT.

When I was growing up I thought I'd live in GA my whole life and that sounded great. My family and all my friends were there and I had no reason to leave. It wasn't until I flunked my first year of college and then lived at home for another 9 months that I started getting this itch to GET THE HELL OUT!

So then I went to Utah, met Mr. Kricket and we lived there for 3 years. We've only just recently moved here to Colorado. So I've only done two major moves, and it sucks. I was really homesick after I got married because I didn't know anyone except Mr. K and his family (and I don't get along too well with the in-laws). And I soon realized that UT was not the place for me.

This move to CO has been a lot better and where we plan to stay forever, which is a nice feeling. So basically, I went from a homebody type girl to an adventure type girl and overall, it's been fun. :)

And now that I've shared my life story :eek: How is Monday treating y'all?

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Good Morning, Catina-ites.

So I've now been up for 4 hours, because some idiot ran through the neighborhood with lights and sirens at 3:30 in the morning.

My cats decided that since I was awake, it was time for Royal Rumble MCLXIII in the house's echo chamber (read: stair well). Not to mention, having a stinkiest poo in the box contest.

:e2yawn: :e2coffee:

There is not enough caffeine in the world right now...

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
To answer your original question more in the way you answered mine, let me think. And I think, maybe the shallowness of my first answer may be a sign of someone who has moved a lot. There can be a reluctance to really open up and make ties. Maybe someone else can comment on this, too.

Sounds sad and lonely doesn't it. It's not really. I have what is important to me. My wife and son. I have co-workers I can talk to. Students I can goof around with. And, you guys. I really don't have time for much else, even if such people were available.

So, in a way, I envy you and the ties you have. I think I could find some comfort in knowing that "this place is mine."

On the other hand, having moved around so much, I have met so many different kinds of people. Some were really cool, some very not cool, some interesting, some boring. That's a good thing, too, I think.

See, this is the downside of never moving. Everybody has known me since I was in diapers. My identity has been locked in since that time, and woe betide somebody who tries to break out. I'm "one of the Clarkson girls" forever and ever, amen. The Clarksons are studious, serious, imminently respectable, and keep very much to themselves. Or else!

example: my mother and I were out shopping, and ran into an old classmate whom I hadn't seen since high school. She encountered Mom and I when we were feeling particularly silly, laughing and joking and not being "The Clarksons." Seeing us act like that -- and we were just laughing, that's all -- immediately hit the grapevine, and it came back to me half a dozen times: "Junely was acting so silly! Where did that come from? Was she drinking?"

Makes it very difficult to break out and do something different. I have to protect my reputation, because I have to live here, as do my children. We're going to be with these people for a long, long time.

So basically I went from a homebody type girl to an adventure type girl and overall, it's been fun. :)

See, I come online to be Adventure Girl. Or I cross the river into West Virginia, where my more silly/adventurous proclivities can be furtively acted out away from the prying eyes of my neighbors.

Then again, I'm really really REALLY not a people person, or even a very nice person. That may be coloring my perspective.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

We moved a lot when I was a kid and my transitory lifestyle went into overdrive as an adult. I actually enjoyed it because I got to experience life on both coasts, the outer fringes, and everything in between. There are things you learn about a city/state/planet that cannot be gleaned from just visiting. Plus, each move forced me to re-assess what was really important in life (materially, not morally).

That said, moving can be stressful. When I moved to (and subesquently returned from) California, everything I owned fit into my truck, so it's wasn't much of a bother. Moving from NC to VA required an armada of vans and trying to get all my crap boxed, shipped, unloaded, and unpacked was a chore. (In the years since, CobraMrsFit and I have drastically gutted all those "important" boxes.)

Funny thing, I did the math and in the past 20 years, this is the longest that I have lived in one location. It's kinda' nice to settle and plant roots. For the first time, we're actually part of a community and have a "home base". That's a truly wonderful thing.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to recommend against the car-only moving. Important things like books get left behind. :(

Nah. Books are the one thing that can be mailed cheap. :)

You just have to stay at the next place long enough for them to catch up to you. Media mail, it is a bittersweet thing.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, a question....

Why do women insist on throwing away your favorite clothes?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Morning folks!

I've only lived in two places, basically. (I've had several living spots in Pittsburgh, but that's normal.)

However, I have traveled a lot. I like having a place I *know* to come home to.

Though I have to say, one of the best things about switching jobs is that I'm getting to explore a section of town I haven't in a while.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I insist on keeping is my books.

My last two moves have sold me on e-books. Yes, I love the feel of actual books... but that was before having to move them all down three flights of stairs and then up one really long one.

A LOT of boxes.

Not as much as it would have been before the last move, when I jettisoned about 7 boxes to the local library, and sold another two boxes worth, but still.

*sigh*

The home library will have to wait until I stop moving long enough to have a house.

So, likely, never.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score

Bee Tee Dub:

We're all excited for you Kricket!!

Thanks guys! :) I'm going to bet that this isn't going to happen until my actual due date in 4 days. So I guess I just get to sit around and talk to you people. ;)

Okay, a question....

Why do women insist on throwing away your favorite clothes?

In CobraMrsFit's case, it is because there are "holes" in them. Also because, as she put it, "This is not 1995."

This.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Wait.

You changed neighborhoods in Pittsburgh?

And they didn't tar and feather you?

:Wha:

I thought that wasn't allowed.

:D

Heh.

Well, I went to school in Pgh, so I stayed on campus. Then moved to Friendship, then when a bullet came into my bedroom (while I was out), we moved to Squirrel Hill. Then I moved up north to McCandless, then across the hill to Wexford, then bought a house in Ross. So basically, I've lived in three neighborhoods, since anything north of the city is on nebulous blob called "The North Hills" until you get to Cranberry township.

I don't think anyone would fault me for moving out of Friendship when I did. It's a *much* nicer area now, but back in the mid 90's... not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.