XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I did look at their Sub Guidelines and it said that they wanted Romance stuff, but someone suggested them to me for Fantasy. That's why I asked. I was confused.

You know, you can almost always also contact the publisher directly and ask them.

And most websites, like Wordpress, also have FAQ and other guidelines to help you figure that stuff out.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
You know, you can almost always also contact the publisher directly and ask them.

And most websites, like Wordpress, also have FAQ and other guidelines to help you figure that stuff out.

Yeah. That's true. I could. But I don't know. I was just trying to get an idea of who I could sub to when I was ready.

Well, they do have password protection for some posts, but I was kind of looking for a "age-thing" like BlogSpot has. Granted, all you have to do is know the password in order or click "view" in order to get through, but I would hate to get in trouble for content.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I thought. Is Entangled the same way?

Entangled requires the romance angle too. They do various genres (like fantasy), but as far as I know you do need a strong romantic element in your story for them to consider it. If your story is mainly fantasy, but again has that strong romantic subplot, you can sub it there. The amount of romance varies quite a bit in their titles. Does your story have a romantic subplot?

For epubs, the one that comes to mind which requires no romantic elements is Carina.

Edit: I think that Crescent Moon also takes pure SF&F. But I'll say I don't know as much about them.

Last edited:

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Entangled requires the romance angle too. They do various genres (like fantasy), but as far as I know you do need a strong romantic element in your story for them to consider it. If your story is mainly fantasy, but again has that strong romantic subplot, you can sub it there. The amount of romance varies quite a bit in their titles. Does your story have a romantic subplot?

For epubs, the one that comes to mind which requires no romantic elements is Carina.

Most of them have a romantic sub-plot but the strength of the sub-plot would varies.

Right now, truthfully, I'm just looking at different publishers. I really don't feel ready to publish, but I just wanted to have some people in mind. Things to think on and what not.
However, to answer your question, it really depends. Sometimes the romantic sub-plot is strong and sometimes it isn't.

I've heard of Carina, and someone told me that too.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Most of them have a romantic sub-plot but the strength of the sub-plot would varies.

Right now, truthfully, I'm just looking at different publishers. I really don't feel ready to publish, but I just wanted to have some people in mind. Things to think on and what not.
However, to answer your question, it really depends. Sometimes the romantic sub-plot is strong and sometimes it isn't.

I've heard of Carina, and someone told me that too.

Carina is one of the best out there, if you can get your foot in the door. Of course, I think the same about Entangled, but I'm not exactly 100% objective there.

Keep in mind that you can go through different pubs for different titles, too. Also, are you going novel-length? If so, might want to check the agent route first. Just a suggestion.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Well, I did look at their Sub Guidelines and it said that they wanted Romance stuff, but someone suggested them to me for Fantasy. That's why I asked. I was confused.

Entangled doesn't take non-romantic fantasy--it has to either be a fantasy romance or a fantasy with romantic elements (a strong romantic subplot). It pretty much says that in the submission guidelines.

So yes, they do take fantasy, but only where it intersects with romance. Same with science fiction, mystery, history, etc. They're looking for romance or strong romantic elements. Happy every after, and all.

In general, it's worth looking through a publisher's categories and reading several of the books when you're trying to figure out whether your work will fit there or not.

ETA: Scooped by Tifferbugz! Dire!

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
In other news... I think getting my laptop from work in case I had to work from home worked! The winter storm watch has been downgraded to a winter weather advisory.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
And Fen: A little late, but yes. Dumb him clearly. Clingy guys are scary.

I had (for a very short time) a boyfriend in college that started showing up outside my classes when he knew I had a bit of free time. And then he'd stay with me until I had class. Lather, rinse, repeat. And at night, he'd come and study with me. Or go wherever I was going in the evenings.

Basically, if I had free time, he thought I should be with him. Luckily, I was living in a Catholic special interest house, so I could, in fact, kick him out at night. And did.

I felt like I had a freaking stalker. I dumped him pretty much by telling him that he was freaking me with his stalker behavior and that I needed alone time for me. And, you know, to hang out with other people that weren't him.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Carina is one of the best out there, if you can get your foot in the door. Of course, I think the same about Entangled, but I'm not exactly 100% objective there.

Keep in mind that you can go through different pubs for different titles, too. Also, are you going novel-length? If so, might want to check the agent route first. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the info.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the weird one at the writers' table who doesn't drink coffee or booze to get the creative juices going.

Oh, lord. I do not write while drinking. Baaaaaad things happen. At least, I think they're bad. So incoherent, it's hard to be sure.

Wait, what am I doing here right now?

*ninja vanish*

Status
Not open for further replies.