To Be or Not To Be....Archaic

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know where they got the word but, "quaffing" was HUGE with my daughters friends during highschool. Unfortunately, vulgarity will always be "in". My best friend in the 70's like to call guys scrotum face. My apologies to the sensitive among us. A bizarre application of the word scrotum but my point is that the sensational, no matter what the word is, will always have an audience and applications most people would never imagine.

I think the word "wench" will always be around because I think alot of men like to say it and like what it represents in their own minds. I think it's left over from the Neanderthal period.

Does it have anything to do with the word "queef"? As in, looking for a word that sounds like it, they came across quaff? The whole arse-ass shift.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Another: andy

Means: jealous

Rhymes with: randy, handy, candy, bandy, sandy, brandy, Mandy, TANDY and so forth.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
And another: herweathe (OE: here-wæð)

Meaning: assassin, sniper or a jäger; an army hunter.

Deleted member 42

Does it have anything to do with the word "queef"? As in, looking for a word that sounds like it, they came across quaff? The whole arse-ass shift.

No; not etymologically related. Queef is first attested in late 1600s, and is generally thought to be onomatopoeic. Quaff may be onomatopoeic, but I'm one who suspects it's derived from Irish / Scots Gaelic cauch or "cup." In Scots Gaelic that becomes quaich/queff in the sixteenth century, where it and quaff are both used by Scottish poets in Scots like Henryson and Dubar.

Happyburger

Registered
Reaction score
I like the word Eheu. It's an latin-derived, onomatopoeic noun that means a cry of despair.

Throwing anachronisms into any writing in order to prove you have the ability is terribly pretentious. If the reason you write is to demonstrate your intelligence to the world, cut it out, doofus. That's what being awesome at scrabble is for.

A side point made back on the first page of this thread got me thinking - and yes, apart from the doctors, the most intelligent people I know are all either unemployed or less-than-gainfully self-employed.

Eheu!