Trying to Make Sense of a Possible Trend - Crazy Entitlement Much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
A positive comment:

AW has been one of the most tolerant, understanding places I've ever frequented on the net. You can use whatever language seems appropriate to you, within reason and with taste, and if you say something silly you'll get checked by various authors with industry knowledge.

Before joining AW I was a member of the Amazon Reviewer boards. Back then, theere were several of them on its own site, not like now, and there was a fixed "community" of reviewers. You see all those "too ten" and "top 100" revieweres? Those were the member. But there were also lots of crazies, and as it was not moderated all hell would break loose every now and then. Where were people with multiple IDs who would actually fight with each other.

There was one woman, a prolific reviewer who used the photo of a famous photo model as her avatar; she wrote great reviews a,d we actually had a provate email friendship going for about ayear -- she used to write me these really sweet, warm caring mails. She claimed to be a relative of Renoir, and French. (Renoir "was" her last name). And then she came to the boards; and then she was outed as having not only stolen the model's photo, but that all her reviews were plagiarised. And then she turned really nasty, creating multiple personalities stalking people.

The flame wars I witnessed with her were terrible indeed. Once, a few years ago, I mentioned her name on Aw and next thing I knew, she was posting here! I got the fright of my life. I deleted my post and she disappeared again. But there are still traes of her various ID's all over the internet. One of the members of that board, infact, is writing a book about her -- she mailed me for information recently.
Then I came to Aw andit was like walking into the garden of Eden.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Out of curiosity I googled that woman's name. The internet is still full of her.
Here are some of the posts about her:

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/jonbenet-ramsey/TJIAQ4SA064TKHPCC

This is her profile, again using a fake photo (she was 32 in the 90's when we first corresponded; she is still 32!)

http://www.care2.com/c2c/people/profile.html?pid=708517521

http://boardreader.com/thread/The_Infamous_Gabrielle_Renoir_Resurfaces_5kxq5X24qhylhvb3nv6.html

She has written a book, which is on goodreads:

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/48147-the-real-thing-a-story-of-sex-sapphires-and-second-chances

And this is her post in the NEPAT thread:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=378872&postcount=1068

A total nutcase!

Last edited:

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Out of curiosity I googled that woman's name. The internet is still full of her.
Here are some of the posts about her:

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/jonbenet-ramsey/TJIAQ4SA064TKHPCC

This is her profile, again using a fake photo (she was 32 in the 90's when we first corresponded; she is still 32!)

http://www.care2.com/c2c/people/profile.html?pid=708517521

http://boardreader.com/thread/The_Infamous_Gabrielle_Renoir_Resurfaces_5kxq5X24qhylhvb3nv6.html

She has written a book, which is on goodreads:

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/48147-the-real-thing-a-story-of-sex-sapphires-and-second-chances

And this is her post in the NEPAT thread:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=378872&postcount=1068

A total nutcase!

:Jaw: ...wow

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
The Matrix: Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill
There was a time, before the internet, where people were encouraged to write out their feelings in letters, then burn/shred/destroy them. It allowed said feelings to be expressed but never subject anyone to them.

With the advent of the internet, such restraint died.

I remember my early years online - okay, so that was like the late 80s early 90s - where I followed the above advice. I wrote the email... then I deleted it. I wrote a usenet post, then deleted it. If something got heated, I walked away from the computer for 24 hours to cool down. Others did the same.

I missed that restraint. Until I came here and found many people who understand it.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
There was a time, before the internet, where people were encouraged to write out their feelings in letters, then burn/shred/destroy them. It allowed said feelings to be expressed but never subject anyone to them.

With the advent of the internet, such restraint died.

I remember my early years online - okay, so that was like the late 80s early 90s - where I followed the above advice. I wrote the email... then I deleted it. I wrote a usenet post, then deleted it. If something got heated, I walked away from the computer for 24 hours to cool down. Others did the same.

I missed that restraint. Until I came here and found many people who understand it.

I do that. There have been many times I have typed out a long and venemous screed with lots of swearing. I then hit the 'back' button and never post it.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
A positive comment:

AW has been one of the most tolerant, understanding places I've ever frequented on the net.

Amen to that. I mean I've had my *cough* moments, but Mac and Medi are very forgiving. Very, very forgiving :D

And I am truly grateful for that, because this is the place where I learn the most about all aspects of writing. Without it I'd still be floundering in a sea of adverbs and head hopping and, ugh, all sorts.

I can't say precisely where that's taken me (Iz Sekrit), but I wouldn't have got there without this place.

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
:) AW may have it's flamewars, but in general, in the short time I've been here it's seemed a positive and friendly place. Most people seem to handle things well most of the time.

There was one woman, a prolific reviewer who used the photo of a famous photo model as her avatar; she wrote great reviews a,d we actually had a provate email friendship going for about ayear -- she used to write me these really sweet, warm caring mails. She claimed to be a relative of Renoir, and French. (Renoir "was" her last name). And then she came to the boards; and then she was outed as having not only stolen the model's photo, but that all her reviews were plagiarised. And then she turned really nasty, creating multiple personalities stalking people.

I had to check your links, because this sounds SO much like someone from elsewhere-on-the-web (not the writing community) last year (claiming a model's photograph, acting warm and friendly and wonderful, getting caught in numerous lies, and turning nasty-crazy cyber-stalking on lots of people, with multiple fake identities to do so.)

The name, location, photo, and age all being different means nothing of course. But the obsessions are also different. Then again, the personality seems frighteningly similar.

I don't know which is scarier -- if this is the same nut-job or a different one.

Ugh.

Last edited:

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
On a totally different (but slightly related) note:

I wonder how many posters on this thread have other posters on this thread on ignore.

I don't have anyone on ignore, though I think one person has me on ignore. It was a person who was happy to be published by PA. I sent him (her?) an invitation to read the Bewares Section. I prob. shouldn't have done that but I was hoping to avert a tragedy.

Alas, from what I've seen so far, he (she) did go with PA.

Her life, her tragedy. I won't do that again.

(I don't go around offering advice on PA, but this particular person seemed so happy when they announced they were finally published in the Promotions and Announcements thread. Other posters were wishing him (her) much success. My reaction was what?? So I think I sort of burst their happiness balloon.)

I shall not do that again.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Linda, it's probably the same. She has many aliases. pm me the name, if you like, and I'll tell you if I recognise it.

I can console myself with he thought that I may be nuts, but I ain't THAT nuts :D

I suspect I'm on a few ignore lists, cos I can be a dick. I think I have one person on mine, purely for the sake of my blood pressure, but we don;t usually hang in the same places anyway.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Is it just me or can you see a blonde in a red dress at the top-left edge when you scroll down really fast?

;)

What blonde? I don't see any blonde in my avatar! In fact, I've never dated a blonde in my life! Especially in a red dress.

I look much better in blue.

OtterFactory

Registered
Reaction score
What blonde? I don't see any blonde in my avatar! In fact, I've never dated a blonde in my life! Especially in a red dress.

I look much better in blue.

Don't make me angry, Phael. You won't like me when I'm angry!

(Incidentally, that would be a perfect title for this thread.)

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score

I wonder how many posters on this thread have other posters on this thread on ignore.

I'M IGNORING YO- oh, wait.

Nah, I've never used the ignore feature. Anyone who pisses me off that much usually ends up getting booted pretty quickly. Also, I mostly ignore P&CE (actually, I think I got locked out of there once for pissing someone off, and have never asked to be let back in). Since the most aggravating individuals never post anywhere else, I guess that's pretty much the same as an ignore list. :D

Ctairo

Why Isn't IGNORE Available in RL?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like to 'ignore' people who irritate me. Partly because I think it's valuable to hear from people you disagree with, who don't share your worldview, because otherwise you surround yourself with 'yes-men' and dig yourself a comfortable little hole removed from reality. And secondly, dealing with irritants teaches me patience and tact and tolerance. Sometimes. And sometimes, I just yell bad words at the computer.

Amen to this, 'cos I know approximately fuck-all. I've got to learn somewhere.

Motto. I can deal with annoying, so those people aren't going on ignore. Asshattery? Um, pass.

I think the entitlement/ignorance-of-reality syndrome comes from two sources:

1. The booming trend in self-publishing with its attendant cheerleaders, convincing a lot of aspiring writers who've never done the work of researching the publishing industry that all they need is to hit the right magic formula and they too will be able to live off of sales of their $0.99 Kindle books. (Remember ten years back or so when there were all those books about how anyone could quit their job and just spend a few hours a day selling stuff on eBay?)

2. More and more aspiring writers are young people migrating over from the fan fiction community, where it's very easy to attract a large number of adoring fans telling you how awesome your writing is and that you write better than Stephanie Meyer!!1!1! So they show up here accustomed to squees and hugs and fawning, and find out that this is a much tougher crowd and their writing is a lot crappier than they thought it was.

Yes, and I'll just point out, for the OP's benefit, that "half-blood" happens to be a term from Harry Potter.

**meaningful look**

In other words, Amadan's hit the nail on the head, I think.

Thankfully, young people usually grow out of their affront at the lack of adulation the world provides. There is hope for such as these.

I blame Simon Cowell.

Ah good points about fan-fiction, self-publishing, and insta-fame. Half-blood went right over my head despite knowing who the half-blood prince is.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it understand that its prose is not golden.

QFT. Also, :roll:

The forum always gets its share of "I'm a writing genius, how dare you disagree with me". It's been that way since I joined, rather than being something that's only just happened. You may be remembering the past in a rose-tinted way, or it may be you just didn't notice it until now. But it's not new and it goes with the territory of being a popular forum.

Or maybe I've been front and center in recent months rather than on the sidelines as in the past... I've witnessed divas previously and the attendant flounces, but there seem to be more*. That said, I absolutely agree posters here, for the most part, are well behaved. The abundance of good behavior may contribute to making bad behavior stand out. I also realized I've been online long enough to expect everyone else has a similar history or simply understands what makes for acceptable interaction. I need to remember forum newbies may be new to online activity as well.

BTW, have I mentioned how happy I am we're having this conversation?

*Divas. Number of flounces TBD.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
This thread isn't locked yet??? I'm SHOCKED, I tell you!

Shocked, like, OMG.

Is it locked yet? No? OMG!

That it isn't locked yet just proves my point that AW is a safe-haven on the net. Sometimes I'd rather not leave. It's dangerous out there!

Amen to that. I mean I've had my *cough* moments, but Mac and Medi are very forgiving. Very, very forgiving :D

And I am truly grateful for that, because this is the place where I learn the most about all aspects of writing. Without it I'd still be floundering in a sea of adverbs and head hopping and, ugh, all sorts.

I can't say precisely where that's taken me (Iz Sekrit), but I wouldn't have got there without this place.

Yep. Same.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com

I'm pretty quiet on the boards, but even if I posted more, I don't tend to put people on ignore. That's always the way I've been.

Whenever I see something going on here that takes away from my experience, I just don't go to that thread and wait until people calm down. That usually works for me.

Overall, I enjoy coming here though. We all need a haven. Writing can be lonely.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't even know there was an ignore function, until I got involved in this thread. I've certainly never had cause to use it. That speaks well of the culture of AW! :)

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score

Huh. Supposedly this thread has five pages of responses, but I can't see a single post in it.

Odd.

;)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I don`t notice things.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I've not come across a total asshat here yet. I can't pretend I'll be so zen about it if I do ;)

but I thought I was being splendidly asshatingly asshat. Are you telling me I`m failing

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
There's an ignore function?

Honestly, I think I'm too new to have landed on the ignore list of anyone yet. Of course, I try to remain cordial to everyone where I can.

That doesn't mean I won't ruffle feathers. Everyone does from time to time. I'll just try to do it with as little fanfare as possible. :flag:

Status
Not open for further replies.