When A Book To Movie Franchise Meets Irony - Hunger Games Nail Polish

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Wasn't sure which forum was the best for this, so feel free to move it if need be.

Anyways, I recently heard that with the upcoming Hunger Games movie, special Hunger Games "nail polish" is also planned to go on the market.

http://collider.com/hunger-games-nail-polish-image-elizabeth-banks/133399/

What's your thoughts on this? I'm not sure whether to be annoyed by how against the book it feels, or consider the marketing team geniuses for portraying the movie viewers/fans as the citizens of the Capitol.

But overall, what do you think about books to movies and franchising, especially if it seems ironic in the sense of the book?

Last edited:

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I don't know how this is against the book or what the point would be in feeling angry about it. Many of the characters would have used such products. Cinna played by Lenny Kravitiz is an extremely popular character among fans. I imagine there will be screenings where fans dress up just like with Harry Potter and Twilight.

If it was one of my books, I would be very in support of books to movie deals, franchising, games, the whole lot. lol

Books don't always translate well, the hunger games looks like it will. Although I've already spotted a change from the book in the trailer. Frankly, I would rather see more books made to film and scripts sold than the 80's rehash that is the vogue of the moment.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it's tacky, but not as bad as it could be.

Remember that a sparkly dildo you could stick in your freezer came out after the first Twilight movie was announced. Oh, the horror....

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
That's very silly, and very much ironic--nail polish in the fashion of the citizens would make the fans seem petty in light of the themes of the books...
Sorry for the mouthful, but that's something I wouldn't buy. There have been worse items on sale, but nail polish is just weird, since it came from a book like this...

As far as franchising goes, I don't have much of a problem with franchising. Companies CAN overdo it, but when I really like a book/movie, chances are I'll like some miscellanea related to it.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I saw this yesterday. Frankly, I don't get the problem with it. Nail polish was used in the book. I distinctly remember reading about Katniss getting polish. It makes perfectly good sense to me that there would be a nail polish tie-in.

I saw a lot of complaints about it...with people on some soapbox about how vain and petty it is. Katniss getting made up was a big part of the preparation for the games. Even the extremely poor in the districts were excited to see the unveiling of the 'contestants'. This is a perfectly reasonable tie-in to the book.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
The point being, of course, that the citizens of the Capitol WERE vain and petty. First world problems (what polish to wear) vs. third world problems (where is the food coming from and when will be next be granted electricity?)

Having not seen the marketing of the polish, I'd say it's all right.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't tend to like films/tv series that get franchised. But my response is 'meh.'

I see the logic in it though. You go to the shops and see a movie title plastered everywhere, chances are the marketing psychology will drive you to the cinema.

McD's are genius' at this. Smurfs and TinTin being recent examples. Get kids hooked on collecting the toys, and they'll beg their parents to take them to see the film.

I do collect film memorabilia, but the rare stuff. I even known to have 8ft cinema banners. :D

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
The best part of the link is that the site also had a trailer for The Hobbit. How about some Thorin Oakenshield beard conditioner? Bilbo Baggins foot-hair curlers? Smaug's best claw polish?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I like nail polish, so I thought this was pretty cool, especially with the added dash of irony. Nail polish/movie tie-ins are done all the time, but almost always by polish company OPI. This is the first time I've seen China Glaze (my preferred brand) do a tie-in.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I think it's beautiful irony. The fans buying the nail polish won't have a clue how they're casting themselves as decadent, First-World spectators gloating over the miserable deaths of some hapless Third-World teenagers. Which is pretty much how I view the whole trilogy, especially in light of its ending. I'm not going to bother seeing the movie, even when it hits cable.

I've never been a really big fan of movie merchandise in general, even the 'Star Wars' stuff that really started the phenomenon. If the movie's good and the swag is cheap, that almost seems to cheapen the movie. Some of the LotR and Potter inspired jewelry and artifacts were well-made and interesting, but they were the exception.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw this yesterday. Frankly, I don't get the problem with it. Nail polish was used in the book. I distinctly remember reading about Katniss getting polish. It makes perfectly good sense to me that there would be a nail polish tie-in.

I saw a lot of complaints about it...with people on some soapbox about how vain and petty it is. Katniss getting made up was a big part of the preparation for the games. Even the extremely poor in the districts were excited to see the unveiling of the 'contestants'. This is a perfectly reasonable tie-in to the book.
I have to agree with Kev here.

I don't wear nail polish but I know plenty of people who do. It's just another personal enhancement product, no more vain and petty than make-up (which I do wear) or jewelry or hair coloring or tattoos.

When did we all get so judgmental? Geez, it's a YA book and the movie is targeted toward teen girls, and a lot of teens like nail polish. My teen loves nail polish. Does that automatically make her decadent, vain and petty?

WTF?

I don't even think it's ironic. (And yes, I read the book.)

Last edited:

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I think it's beautiful irony. The fans buying the nail polish won't have a clue how they're casting themselves as decadent, First-World spectators gloating over the miserable deaths of some hapless Third-World teenagers. Which is pretty much how I view the whole trilogy, especially in light of its ending. I'm not going to bother seeing the movie, even when it hits cable.

You're underestimating many fans in a broad sweeping generalization. This is extremely judgmental.

If it becomes available in my country, I will be buying it. I'm neither a teen fan or a decadent, First-World spectator gloating over anything.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If The Hunger Games were real, I might be offended. They aren't. It's just another novel like any other. Its goal is to make money, not feed the poor while some dastardly corporation gets ever richer by selling nail polish.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
When did we all get so judgmental? Geez, it's a YA book and the movie is targeted toward teen girls, and a lot of teens like nail polish. My teen loves nail polish. Does that automatically make her decadent, vain and petty?

I'm thinking of the scene in The Haunting of Hill House where Theodora paints Eleanor's toenails red. Eleanor is horrified, but Theo says something like, "It's not bad, baby, just silly."

And we all need our minimum daily requirement of silliness, y'know.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
If The Hunger Games were real, I might be offended. They aren't. It's just another novel like any other. Its goal is to make money, not feed the poor while some dastardly corporation gets ever richer by selling nail polish.

Yes James, we know, fiction should never, ever be examined, scrutinized, analyzed, or criticized, studied for themes and subtext, or discussed and debated.

I think it's beautiful irony. The fans buying the nail polish won't have a clue how they're casting themselves as decadent, First-World spectators gloating over the miserable deaths of some hapless Third-World teenagers.

I agree with Filigree. I think it's brilliant. Probably not intentional -- marketing droids aren't that clever -- but I love the irony.

As for whether or not it's offensively missing the point, I think not as much as this. Now there's some irony.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Given that they're pairing up the nail polish with Effie, who, as Hunger Games characters go, is pretty much the Poster Child for Capitol Consumerism, I don't think it's insulting or ironic. And it's not like nail polish isn't already a daily norm for the typical Hunger Games fan.

[T]oday an ad for the nail polish has been released and it features a new look at Elizabeth Banks as the flamboyantly pink Effie Trinket.

It's just marketing. The Hunger Games is hugely popular. They're selling all kinds of stuff. I'm guessing fans will want items that will let them dress up as various characters, and the franchise will provide them. The nail polish and mockingjay pin are already out; next we'll probably see Effie's eyelashes, Gale's snares, Katniss's bow and arrows, Peeta's bread recipes, Prim's feta cheese, silver parachutes, cornicopias, purple press-on tattoos of daily schedules.....

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
FTR: The new Muppet movie also has a line of Muppet colours out. My wife has a crazy big basket filled with nail polish. I think the place she gets it is called Trade Secrets? I'm sure she'll be proudly wearing Capitol colours.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
FTR: The new Muppet movie also has a line of Muppet colours out. My wife has a crazy big basket filled with nail polish. I think the place she gets it is called Trade Secrets? I'm sure she'll be proudly wearing Capitol colours.

Yep, the Muppet colors were by OPI. OPI has also released colors tied in to other movies, such as Shrek, Burlesque, Alice in Wonderland, and Pirates of the Caribbean as well as with other companies/brands, such as Whirlpool, Ford, and the Red Cross. This is the first time I've seen China Glaze tie in with anyone, although they did have a Wizard of Oz collection a while back.

[/nail polish geekery]

Last edited:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yes....that's what most of her polish is...OPI. She has one of the Shreks. I remember being gobsmacked by all the movie tie ins whenever I'm unfortunate enough to be with her when she's trying to choose between two colors I can't tell apart!

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I love OPI, though I don't think my salon has any of the Muppet colors...

I will probably buy a bottle or two of the HG polish, take it to the salon, and get the girls to paint my nails with it.

And I will enjoy it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Yes James, we know, fiction should never, ever be examined, scrutinized, analyzed, or criticized, studied for themes and subtext, or discussed and debated.

I agree with Filigree. I think it's brilliant. Probably not intentional -- marketing droids aren't that clever -- but I love the irony.

As for whether or not it's offensively missing the point, I think not as much as this. Now there's some irony.

Of course we should examine and scrutinize fiction. Even if most of it is just a story meant to pass a few hours, and has no meaning at all beyond giving the paper something to do.

But when you start saying that a company shouldn't come out with nail polish because of the novel, you've gone off the deep end.

Seriously, this discussion has nothing at all to do with the book, or with fiction. It has to do with whether a company should put out a line of nail polish.

And irony? Uh, no, there's nothing ironic about it.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
But when you start saying that a company shouldn't come out with nail polish because of the novel, you've gone off the deep end.

No one said anything like that. Perhaps reexamine who is going off the deep end?

And irony? Uh, no, there's nothing ironic about it.

I've never been impressed by your ability to perceive irony.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
The fans buying the nail polish won't have a clue how they're casting themselves as decadent, First-World spectators gloating over the miserable deaths of some hapless Third-World teenagers.

How would they be "fans" if they weren't familiar with how nail polish figured in the book? You confuse me with this. The teen readers I know are generally pretty attentive to detail, and also usually find fairly straightforward irony like this amusing.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
It's just nail polish, and it's not that pretty a colour if the pic is anything to judge by.

I have no issue with it. I've seen worse. And franchising is a big business that can earn everyone a lot of money.

Personally I want a range of sausage rolls to be created as a tie in to one of my books. Everyone loves sausage rolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.