Is it worth waiting for book reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert123

In a few months, I will be ready to self-publish my spirituality book. I would like to publish the book as soon as possible, but some people have suggested that I delay publication while I attempt to get reviews in Publishers Weekly, Library Journal, Booklist, Kirkus, and others. Because these publications review only unpublished books, and because it often takes them three months (or longer) for them to review a book, I would have to delay publication of my book by at least three months. And then there would be no guarantee that I would even receive a review. On the other hand, I've heard that a good review can sell thousands of books right off the bat.

What do people advise? Is it worth delaying publication by several months in the hope that I receive a favorable review??

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Robert123 said:
In a few months, I will be ready to self-publish my spirituality book. I would like to publish the book as soon as possible, but some people have suggested that I delay publication while I attempt to get reviews in Publishers Weekly, Library Journal, Booklist, Kirkus, and others. Because these publications review only unpublished books, and because it often takes them three months (or longer) for them to review a book, I would have to delay publication of my book by at least three months. And then there would be no guarantee that I would even receive a review. On the other hand, I've heard that a good review can sell thousands of books right off the bat.

What do people advise? Is it worth delaying publication by several months in the hope that I receive a favorable review??

Most of the big ones don't review self-published books anyway.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
But there are places that do review self-pubbed books - Mid west, and a bunch of small review sites. Those don't only do pre-publication reviews.

Self-pubs can get a review on Kirkus... for $350 and only online.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
I advise not self-publishing your spirituality book if this is at all reasonably practical. If you can get the marketing muscle of a commercial publisher behind the book, things will be a lot easier. This may add as much as a few years to the release date, true.

Then again, patience is a virtue. A spirituality book from Zondervan (or a publisher closer to your own religious beliefs, if they don't match Zondervan's) is going to sell a lot more than a self-published one in many cases, unless you are something like an itenerant preacher or guru.

It depends on what your goals are. It sounds as though yours is to get your book in front of as many readers as possible. Self-publishing is often less effective for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.