Does anyone really understand the new Facebook rules regarding contests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
If so, please talk to me like I'm five years old.

I've read several blog posts that try to break it down, and this is what I think I understand:

1. I must disclaim that Facebook has no involvement in my contest.

2. I'm not allowed to ask participants to like my page.

3. I'm not allowed to ask participants to comment on my wall.

(I've seen this done oodles of times on Facebook. The author will post on her wall, "Leave a comment here and I'll pick one winner." But this is technically not permitted, right?

4. What am I allowed to do? It appears nothing, unless I use a third-party ap.

What if I hosted the contest on my blog...am I allowed to advertise the contest on Facebook, but not actually hold the contest on Facebook?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. This is the first I've heard about this. And I'm reading it the same way. For anyone else following along, here's the list of rules:

https://www.facebook.com/promotions_guidelines.php

You can't even notify winners via Facebook.

But it's totally cool for Facebook to change their security settings without notifying people, to use users' images in advertising, and pass on their info to god knows who.

Well done, Facebook. Well done.

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
But it's totally cool for Facebook to change their security settings without notifying people, to use users' images in advertising, and pass on their info to god knows who.

Preach it! And from what I hear, they're very unforgiving when it comes to violating their TOS. Instead of issuing a warning, they'll simply shut down your page, the thought of which gives me dry heaves. That's why I want to make sure I don't mistakenly break any rules.

But if I'm reading correctly, there's nothing wrong with advertising a blog-run contest on my Facebook wall. I just hope I'm reading correctly!

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Wow, I had not read those guidelines before. I offered a free paperback copy of a Christmas short story and had people share Christmas memories for a chance to win the free copy. Everyone enjoyed the memories and I chose a random winner (placed all the names of participants in a bowl and drew out one name). Had no idea I was violating the terms of service. So glad you brought this question up.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I recently ran a promo via Rafflecopter where you could enter by Liking my page (but the contest widget itself was on my blog, not on Facebook). Here's a blog post that explains the FB rules in more detail:
http://blog.rafflecopter.com/2011/06/giveaways-and-promotions-on-facebook/

To confuse things even further, though, here's a contrary viewpoint:
http://www.bloggingbasics101.com/20...ul-facebook-giveaway-or-contest/#comment-6951

To be honest, I can't stand Facebook and use it only because my publisher requires it. Given the huge amount of confusion regarding using Facebook in promos, I plan to focus exclusively on my blog and Twitter in the future.

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Thanks for the link, Ms. Adams.

Actually, for the most part it makes sense. They don't want to be in a position to take the blame if your contest goes "ka-blooey".

So, don't use their features as deciding points -- Like the "Like" button, or use their messaging or posting to inform a winner -- because, hey, if somebody doesn't get the message, they don't want it to be their fault. I mean, that makes some sense, yeah?

And, don't make it look like your contest or promotion is sponsored by Facebook, just because you're telling folks about it on Facebook.

If the Klan decides to have a cross roasting contest, they don't want it to look like it was their idea. Not really trying to defend the evil FB, but it does make some sense.

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
I recently ran a promo via Rafflecopter where you could enter by Liking my page (but the contest widget itself was on my blog, not on Facebook). Here's a blog post that explains the FB rules in more detail:
http://blog.rafflecopter.com/2011/06/giveaways-and-promotions-on-facebook/

To confuse things even further, though, here's a contrary viewpoint:
http://www.bloggingbasics101.com/20...ul-facebook-giveaway-or-contest/#comment-6951

To be honest, I can't stand Facebook and use it only because my publisher requires it. Given the huge amount of confusion regarding using Facebook in promos, I plan to focus exclusively on my blog and Twitter in the future.

Thanks for the links. Even though they contradict each other, there was helpful stuff in there. :)

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Ms. Adams.

Actually, for the most part it makes sense. They don't want to be in a position to take the blame if your contest goes "ka-blooey".

So, don't use their features as deciding points -- Like the "Like" button, or use their messaging or posting to inform a winner -- because, hey, if somebody doesn't get the message, they don't want it to be their fault. I mean, that makes some sense, yeah?

And, don't make it look like your contest or promotion is sponsored by Facebook, just because you're telling folks about it on Facebook.

If the Klan decides to have a cross roasting contest, they don't want it to look like it was their idea. Not really trying to defend the evil FB, but it does make some sense.

And given how flakey their messaging system and other features seems to be getting lately, it is probably best not to rely on them anyway... use blogs for contests and only advertise on facebook/twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.